Release 6 Feedback Thread

Started by Boingo the Clown, January 20, 2014, 07:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

Now that Release 6 is finally out, I was hoping for a little feedback

What did you like?

What did you not like?

What would you like to see in the next release?

Et cetera.

From ICQ

(8:59:40 PM) Seventy Five: to be perfectly honest
(8:59:48 PM) Seventy Five: I think the mini zorcher's puffs look out of place
(9:00:01 PM) Seventy Five: because they're not the same color of red as the energy emitted from the zorcher

(9:00:14 PM) Seventy Five: this is a bug carried over from chex 1
(9:00:21 PM) Seventy Five: but the alignment on the status bar can use some work
(9:00:32 PM) Seventy Five: the 1 on the 100% health is escaping the box

(9:01:12 PM) Seventy Five: you should add in the fix  for the minizorcher so it doesn't shoot before he pushes the button

(9:04:13 PM) Seventy Five: you should edit the font on the status bar
(9:04:17 PM) Seventy Five: it has about 3 colors
(9:04:47 PM) Seventy Five: sort of an odd color too... why not just white?

(9:05:31 PM) Seventy Five: start of E1M2
(9:05:50 PM) Seventy Five: They were really, really concerned about lighting in that first room
(9:05:52 PM) Seventy Five: but they messed up
(9:05:56 PM) Seventy Five: because it's not very bright
(9:06:07 PM) Seventy Five: the entire ceiling is covered in lights and it's still sort of dim
(9:06:24 PM) Seventy Five: also that door panel apparently raises and breaks the lights?

(9:07:08 PM) Seventy Five: have the phasing zorch ammo containers emit dynamic lights?

(9:19:35 PM) Seventy Five: my old nitpick about grates
(9:19:40 PM) Seventy Five: they should be broken or open or something
(9:19:49 PM) Seventy Five: chexter can't just walk through soild grates

(9:19:56 PM) Seventy Five: also the grill seems to have gradients on it
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

arch129

First of all E2M1 looks amazing, I love everything you've done to the dinner.  :o

The cave floors in E1M5 look a bit odd, I'm not sure how close you are following the original map, but I think it would look better if you either made it look more cave like or smoothen it out and lay some mine cart tracks.

I haven't gotten much of a chance to play the game in depth mostly because the keys are currently broken, I'm pretty sure you've noticed this already.

Boingo the Clown

Keys are broken?

How?

Chukker said he had trouble with the keys as well, so I would like to know.

I redefined the keys and they work fine when T.U.C.Q. runs as an IWAD.  Were you running it as a PWAD under CQ3?

If so, try running it by itself. Make a quick bath file with the line:

gzdoom.exe -iwad {path}\TUCQR6.wad

where {path} is the location of TUCQR6.wad. The game should identify it as The Ultimate DooM and run it straight by itself.

The cave floors have not really been changed.  I simply marked them as slopes.

{{EDIT: Yeah. That's the problem. I tried running it under CQ3 and the keys didn't work.

After I got T.U.C.Q. running as an IWAD I stopped running it under other IWADs and so I didn't notice the problem.

If you are running the game through ZDL, you can add the following to zdl.ini in the [zdl.ports] section:

i11n=The Ultimate Chex Quest
i11f={path}\TUCQR6.WAD

Again where {path} is the location of TUCQR6.wad.
}}

arch129

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on February 01, 2014, 08:16:43 PM
Keys are broken?

How?

Chukker said he had trouble with the keys as well, so I would like to know.

I redefined the keys and they work fine when T.U.C.Q. runs as an IWAD.  Were you running it as a PWAD under CQ3?

If so, try running it by itself. Make a quick bath file with the line:

gzdoom.exe -iwad {path}\TUCQR6.wad

For example in the first level I get the blue key, it shows up on the minimal/fullscreen HUD, but not on the normal HUD and I can't open any blue doors with it.

Using TUCQR6.wad as the IWAD fixed this problem.

Boingo the Clown

That's great!  I am very pleased.   ^-^

MajorSlime

I had an issue in E1M5 where I had the wrong key for the door i needed to go through... but that could most likely just be me being stupid. I haven't played E1M5 in while, and never quite fully understood the layout to begin with XD
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Boingo the Clown

I'll bet you had the yellow key and were at the blue door.

Am I right?

When you get to the big cavern with the yellow key on the ledge at the far end, you have to jump down into the pit and fight the larvae that come out of the holes. There are two teleporters down there. One just takes you back up to the ledge, but the other one takes you into another passage with the blue key.

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Super Chex

Overall, excellent work. I only ran into one issue, and that was the end of E1M2 being unusable. The button does nothing. I am on Zandronum. I may be doing something wrong, or may have somehow failed to use the teleport room correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:D :p

Boingo the Clown

Yeah. I believe I mentioned it when I did the release. It does not work in Zandronum because the switch code is written in fraggle script.  It works in GZDooM and ZDooM, but not in Zandronum. 

Super Chex

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on March 08, 2014, 09:06:29 PM
Yeah. I believe I mentioned it when I did the release. It does not work in Zandronum because the switch code is written in fraggle script.  It works in GZDooM and ZDooM, but not in Zandronum.

Thanks, Boingo. I'll go grab a copy of GZDoom.

Boingo the Clown

Super Chex

Thanks. :3 I made it 100% in GIMP. I'm making a 3D animated version using Blender. Glad you like it.

Loremaster

Just gave it a go. Pretty nice! I ran into the key issue as well with CQ3.wad as my iwad, but it works fine as the iwad.

I liked the redone E2M1, though the lift needs some sort of gate when it is up, otherwise I feel like I may accidentally walk under it and get crushed, only to find I'm walking against nothing. Felt kinda strange.

I loved the slopes in E1M5. Really felt like a cavern, more so than the original.

I agree with what you said elsewhere, about replacing residential stuff on the ground level of E2M4 with shops and offices. It feels really plain, especially with the way you've redone the other maps. Maybe replace the streetside sewage mains with store lobbies or something?

Also, I noticed that sometimes the fruit bowels seems to have thicker black outlines. I noticed this on E2M2 and E1M4 in the mazes.

All in all, a nice jaunt for this evening. Well done so far!
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!