Map ideas/suggestions/submissions

Started by 75, January 28, 2011, 12:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

...oh gosh how ><;

These DB2 configs look like they're designed to make use of doom defaults, while the old config basically rewrote it all...

...I wonder how well DB1 still works.

EDIT: works perfectly with the Vista tips. Forget the new stuffs, I'm going back to what I know...er, knew.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

If you're using windows 7 or Vista... be careful and save often.

I remember DB1 wreaking havoc to my maps on my x64 Vista laptop. Windows 7 might be a little better.

It's actually not that hard to make a new config, just look at how another config did it, it's mostly just adding new actors and renaming things.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

LAZ Trooper

Eh, I reconfigured a few DB2 configs in my day... wasn't hard.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Did a little more on E1M6, I was originally going to have Chexter walk through a little civilization on Bazoik, but I might just have him hike over the terrain.

Bazoik is a desert planet with really bright sunlight. If I can find the right graphic for it, I'd like to have two or three bright suns in the sky.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on January 31, 2011, 05:19:49 PM

Did a little more on E1M6, I was originally going to have Chexter walk through a little civilization on Bazoik, but I might just have him hike over the terrain.

Bazoik is a desert planet with really bright sunlight. If I can find the right graphic for it, I'd like to have two or three bright suns in the sky.

Bazoik with sunlight? o_O
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Replica

To be honest, I always saw Bazoik as a dark, barren waste land with a colony on it.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

hmm, actually, if you look at the ending video at around :25, there's a little bit of blue at the horizon, which would only be there if the planet had an atmosphere. Not to mention, the colonists were breathing something, no atmosphere means the planet's surface exists in vacuum.

If there wasn't a sun (i.e., if the planet was dark all the time), there couldn't be water, slime, or any liquid at all, since any liquid would freeze without a sun. The flemoids would be flemsicles!

Not to mention, the captives would be frozen too. Also, why would they build windows in E1M4 and grow plants there if there was no sunlight?

The terrain of Bazoik (specifically in the exterior of E1M4 in Chex 3) seems to be that of a desert. The parched rock floor and lack of vegetation suggest low water levels.

I'd consider that pretty reasonable proof that E1 takes place in a desert, with a sun and atmosphere. The sun has to rise sometime  ;)

EDIT - I didn't think of all this before I made it, I had to look a little more carefully to make sure I didn't go against something already established. I didn't, yay!

Replica

Well, I didn't mean that there wasn't a star; I'm... not really sure what I meant. I guess I meant dark during the game...?

The idea of three stars makes no sense though...

75, your map is really flat. (No offence) and since it is outside, on a landscape; I suggest you use advanced slopes like thing 1504 to make it look more landscape like.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

the flat parts aren't done yet, when it's finished, there's going to be lots of cool rock formations and sheer cliffs in the background, and a lot more terrain to walk over. I mostly wanted to show the bridge and that little oasis in those screenshots.

The three star thing is just something I thought would be cool. It's not canon, but it's not contradictory.

It's no less likely than having one star, or two stars in the sky, since we don't have a galactic map to tell us the surroundings of Bazoik, and every bazoik map took pace at night.  ;)

Scientifically, it's definitely plausible to have three stars close to a planet. Earth doesn't, but if you visited a planet near the galactic core, or another place with a high concentration of stars, it's very likely you'll have more than one star in your sky. It depends on what else is in Bazoik's solar system.

(astronomy is one of my favorite subjects, can you tell? :))

Don't worry, I wouldn't do a multi star system on this level if it looked bizarre or alien. It would have to blend with the environment in a way that fit chex quest, and my idea.

ChexCommander

mob720

Woah, can I have that sky texture? I need it for a map of a Roman Bath house... Doom 2's sky is too yellow
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

I'm not sure. I forget where I found it, it might've been in one of the slimeinator's old projects. Either that or it's from the lost quest.

The Green Avenger

Wow, you ever get the feeling that some people (ie, 75) go out of their way to be unhelpful?  If it is so easy to redo the configuration, why don't you make it and give it to someone who has made it abundantly clear that he is not interested in Cheezy Doom?  I know you have an agenda and all, but Boingo's pretty well stated that he's not going to be Cheezy yet.  Helping out the people who are ACTUALLY LISTENING would be appreciated.

That said, expect a DB2 version of the TUCQ config file sometime this afternoon.  You have been warned; it's Legacy.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Quote from: The Green Avenger on February 03, 2011, 03:14:48 PM
Wow, you ever get the feeling that some people (ie, 75) go out of their way to be unhelpful?  If it is so easy to redo the configuration, why don't you make it and give it to someone who has made it abundantly clear that he is not interested in Cheezy Doom?  I know you have an agenda and all, but Boingo's pretty well stated that he's not going to be Cheezy yet.  Helping out the people who are ACTUALLY LISTENING would be appreciated.

That said, expect a DB2 version of the TUCQ config file sometime this afternoon.  You have been warned; it's Legacy.

Boingo IS interested in GzDoom, he told me several times that he's going to only use Legacy to get back into mapping.

My only "agenda" is making maps for TUCQ. If he really wanted legacy, I would be mapping FOR LEGACY. Do you think I'm making maps in GzDoom just to waste my time? It's not like I'm trying to sell GzDoom, he's the one who wanted to switch.

For somebody calling me out for not listening and being unhelpful, you don't seem to be good at those things yourself. Get a grip.

EDIT2 -

here's what he said in his other topic

QuoteSince I am going to relearning what I forgot, I am going to be going back to Legacy for now until I get used to editing again.  When I get more comfortable with editing again I may try to make the switch to GZDooM again.  Only time will tell.

but he was a lot more decisive when we were talking in the chat. If he changed his mind, that's fine, I can probably convert my stuff, but the last I heard, he definitely intends to switch to GzDoom eventually

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on February 03, 2011, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: The Green Avenger on February 03, 2011, 03:14:48 PM

Boingo IS interested in GzDoom, he told me several times that he's going to only use Legacy to get back into mapping.

You must remember, this is a very old project, and it may not be worth it in Boingo's mind for him to switch to GZDoom when so much is done in Legacy. I'm not saying anything on his behalf, but I must say that I haven't found coronas and dynamic lighting as epic as those in any mod since, either on Legacy or on GZDoom.  "Only time will tell" is a very true statement.

Anyways, guys, just chill out, please. I just want to see Boingo getting back into modding and mapping before a whole flame war erupts on engines and techniques. Yelling at each other won't help that.