T.U.C.Q. Progess Thread

Started by Boingo the Clown, December 01, 2012, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

Progress Report: February 19, 2013

Not very much to report on today, aside from the fact that playing T.U.C.Q. on my new 51" TV is loads of fun.

There are a few things to report however.

I was attempting to get Flemoidus Gyro and the Flem Balloon working in DECORATE using the existing sprites for the gyro and  a quick and dirty sprite made from my old sketch for the flem balloon. I hit a snag when I tried to test them. It appears that the lost soul attack (A_SkullAttack) that makes the gyro lunge at the player also causes it to damage other flemoids *even when it is set up not to*.  The same thing is true of the flem balloon when it launches a gyro. Even with infighting turned off, they still kill each other. According to the people I have talked to on the ZDooM forum this is hard coded, and may not be fixed for a while.

Dang.

I did find my old drawings of the gyro, which means I may be able to work on animating him in the hopes that he will be used.

On E2M4 there is a wall you can fall through to find the secret. I quickly painted a hole in that wall.

I know it's not much, but it's better than nothing.

I noticed compatability issues when using the DooM II IWAD. The intermissions were using the DooM II intermission music and the DooM II intermission screens. Neither are appropriate for Chex Quest. I discovered that GZDooM has intermission scripts (I am still learning, remember?) and I used them to get the CQ1 and CQ2 intermissions working.  There should be no compatability issues there anymore.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that the weapons do not work properly when CQ3 is used as the IWAD.  DeiMWolf had the same problem. I will see what I can do about fixing that.

Oh yeah.  Flemoidus Cycloptis Tenacious is back.

Atariangamer

That infighting thing is weird...but that's games for ya, I guess.

And I thought there was a cracked yellow panel already... ?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Boingo the Clown

CQ3 has one. CQ2 did not.

I added one, because it makes sense.

MajorSlime

As far as the monster infighting, you can always write your own DECORATE code for it, but I don't know if you want to take the time to go through that XD. I'd write it myself if I wasn't so busy.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Orangestar

Flemoid infighting could be cool, if we could add a custom death if they're killed via Flemoid attack. Something like overfilling with flem and melting away (like if you put too much water in play-doh or something).

MajorSlime

I think the point here is we DONT want them accidentally killing each other.

Boingo the Clown

The problem is that snot monsters, being made of snot, probably should not be harmed by the snot from other snot monsters.

It was a problem all the time I was working with Legacy that the flemoids were able to infight and harm each other.  I was quite pleased to eliminate that when I switched over to GZDooM. Having the problem reemerge with the gyro is more than a little annoyance.

TrueDude

Any progress since the last update? Or have you been too busy with DeiMWolf to work on TUCQ?

Boingo the Clown

I have been working on DeiMWolf in the last few months.

I will get back to T.U.C.Q. at some point soon I reckon.

Boingo the Clown

Progress Report: October 26, 2013

Very little to report, other than some work on a texture.

75 was asking about making a new texture, and decided to get a little practice in GIMP.

Up until recently I had be doing the majority of my work in an ancient shareware copy of Paint Shop Pro from way back in 1995. It was good enough to become my workhorse graphics editor for the past 18 years, but the lack of layers and other problems have been giving me reason to move on to something better. I had been wanting to do my new sprites as hand drawn pics but colouring the drawings in PSP has not been very successful.

So I took the hand drawn test texture for the totem pole in the museum and brought it into GIMP, then I desaturated it and darkened it, and gave it an alpha channel.  I created some layers underneath it, and basically used the layers to colour it in and give it some shading.  Then, ironically, I had to bring it back into PSP in order to convert it over to the DooM/Chex Quest palette. This is the result.

It is possibly the worst representation of Haida carving ever, but I suppose it will get better as I work on it. It is certainly better than the black and white version that was there before.

It may not seem like much, but it has great implications for the sprites and textures I am drawing mostly by hand on paper.

Let's see if this brings anything.

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on October 26, 2013, 03:04:27 PMUp until recently I had be doing the majority of my work in an ancient shareware copy of Paint Shop Pro from way back in 1995. It was good enough to become my workhorse graphics editor for the past 18 years, but the lack of layers and other problems have been giving me reason to move on to something better.
Dude, I've been using Paint Shop Pro 5 from 1998 forever. I love it, and it starts almost instantly compared to the fancier editors of today. The only thing I can't do is PNGs with transparency.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

TrueDude

This page has instructions on how to use GIMP to save files with the Doom palette. Also, I feel I should mention, since you're using GZDoom, you aren't restricted by the Doom palette anymore. You could PNG's if you like. Maybe it would clash a bit with the other art though, I dunno.

The carving looks pretty great! I always thought it was weird how that totem pole had no coloring, and figured maybe it was just a reference to some art I didn't get.

MajorSlime

That totem pole IS really nice...

I convert to doom graphics format like this:

1. save as a png in GIMP
2. Import into slade 3
3. Right click, graphics, convert... Doom graphics format

It's worth noting that pngs take up much less space than doom graphics format images in general because they are compressed. The only time they don't is if the image is very small (images <32 pixels in either dimension seem to do better as doom gfx).

zDoom and GzDoom (and Zandronum) are capable of reading png graphics in opengl OR software mode, so there isn't really much of a reason to convert to Doom graphics (unless your image is small)...

However, if you want to be sure your image will look great in opengl AND software (i.e., in gzDoom and zDoom), temporarily converting your image to doom graphics is a good way to get a preview of what it will look like in game in the software renderer.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Boingo the Clown

I am just used to doing it, because that is the way I learned to do years ago.

I have been DooM editing  for at least 18 years now.

With the exception of graphics that need particular colours (like the blue on the diner), I will probably stick to the old palette and DooM format.

I think I will convert over to pk3 format when I am able to though. That may make things easier for me.