Anything for Mac?

Started by TMccord12, April 12, 2010, 08:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMccord12

I've been trying very hard to find a version of Chex Quest for my Mac but haven't come across anything that works. Does anybody here know of anything? Thanks

Tom

noob1234

TMccord12

Well the problem is I don't have the CD or anything. I'm just looking for a download. And the download inside the second link you posted, no longer works

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

celebi23

TMccord12, ah! A fellow Mac user.  No problem, I've got you covered:
First, welcome to the forums!  ;D Second, download (either Boxer 0.87 or Boxer 0.88) & install Boxer (a pretty nice front-end for DOSBox). When you launch Boxer, for the first time, it will create a folder called "DOS Games" in your home folder: "/Users/[your username]/".  Third, download Chex_Quest.zip (includes Chex Quest 1 & 2).  Unzip it & place it in the "DOS Games" folder, that was created.  Now, just double-click it.  A list will pop up of things to launch.  To play Chex Quest, click "chex1.bat" & to play Chex Quest 2, click "chex2.bat".  Simple as that  ;D

Note: If you want to get the latest (Alpha) version of Boxer, go here & download the file called  boxer_1.0-20100121.1-universal.zip.  If you use this newer version, a list won't pop up, when you launch Chex_Quest.  Instead, it will list the files, that can be launched, on the bottom of the window.  Just click one to launch it (still use the bat files like mentioned earlier).

With this setup, I've been able to play Chex Quest 1 & 2 without any problems.  I've used it on 10.4, 10.5 & 10.6.  Enjoy!  ;D

edit: fixed the url errors  :facepalm

Atariangamer

As soon as I get another good project PC, a hackintosh will I build.

Mac filesystems are so weird, but so cool...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

TMccord12

Ok so I was able to download Chex Quest just fine, but the link didn't work for Boxer. I ended up downloading DOSBox off of download.com but I'm not sure if it was the right thing...

celebi23

Quote from: TMccord12 on April 12, 2010, 09:24:55 PM
Ok so I was able to download Chex Quest just fine, but the link didn't work for Boxer. I ended up downloading DOSBox off of download.com but I'm not sure if it was the right thing...

Sorry, my mistake.  Typo :P  Go to http://boxer.washboardabs.net/ & download either Boxer 0.87 or Boxer 0.88.  Then follow the rest of my instructions as usual.  Sorry for the error

TMccord12

Awesome! I got it to work perfectly. Thank you all for your help. I'm so happy I can finally play Chex Quest again!

celebi23

Quote from: TMccord12 on April 12, 2010, 09:47:51 PM
Awesome! I got it to work perfectly. Thank you all for your help. I'm so happy I can finally play Chex Quest again!

Awesome!  XD My pleasure. I'm just glad that I'm able to pass on my knowledge to other Mac users  ;D  Oh & welcome to the forums again!  :)

Atariangamer

I still wonder why there is no ZDooM for mac...

Well, there is, but you hafta custom compile it...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

I was hoping celebi would chime in here, being the Mac user he is. ;)

celebi23

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 13, 2010, 05:18:33 PM
I still wonder why there is no ZDooM for mac...

Well, there is, but you hafta custom compile it...

Quote from: ChexCommander on April 13, 2010, 05:19:55 PM
I was hoping celebi would chime in here, being the Mac user he is. ;)

Yep, I'm the token Mac user.  Got ZDoom & Chex Quest 3 working on my Mac:

First, go to http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom-mac/ & download zdoom-2.4.1.dmg (last official stable release).  Mount the DMG & drag the ZDoom application into your Applications folder.  Next go to http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm & download ChexQuest3.zip.  Unzip the file & locate "chex3.wad" & copy to "/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/ZDoom" (if a ZDoom folder doesn't exist here, make one).  Now, just launch the ZDoom application (that you copied to your Applications folder).

(I actually tried compiling ZDoom myself & kept getting errors.  I then found that ZDoom-Mac site  :facepalm)

The following is optional:
Now, download my custom zdoom.icns.zip icon.  Unzip it & find the ZDoom application, right (ctrl) click on it & select "Show Package Contents".  Click on "Contents" and then "Resources".  You should see a file called "zdoom.icns".  Now, copy the icon you just download into this "Resources" folder. It'll ask you if you want to replace it, select yes/ok.  Now, just launch ZDoom!

Now, Mac users can play the Chex Quest Trilogy natively!

edit: looks like Chex Quest 3 freezes during E3M4 Provincial Park.  The "charlesjacobi" code should get you through that freezing point.

I had the same problem with zdoom-2.4.1 & zdoom-r2276.  Can't remember if I had this problem with Chex Quest 3 on Windows

edit 2:
Looks like that's the only problem that I encountered.  Just finished Chex Quest 3 :D Man, I forgot how awesome this game was  ;D

Blzut3

Quote from: celebi23 on April 13, 2010, 09:40:52 PMdownload zdoom-2.4.1.dmg (last official stable release).
I know I'm a few days late here, but I should note that you might want to download the latest SVN release.  Somewhere along the line I fixed a bug where on the Mac exiting a level would cause the next level to be full bright (as if you had light amp goggles).  Also the very latest has SDL inside the app bundle so it should work for more people.

While I'm here I might as well say (for anyone who might be wondering), these binaries should work for anyone using an Intel or PowerPC Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.  And also there are plans for Skulltag on the Mac, it's just a matter of when Torr updates to the proper ZDoom base.  Though it probably won't have OpenGL for a while since Apple does everything differently.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Blzut3 on April 17, 2010, 09:58:57 PM
Quote from: celebi23 on April 13, 2010, 09:40:52 PMdownload zdoom-2.4.1.dmg (last official stable release).
I know I'm a few days late here, but I should note that you might want to download the latest SVN release.  Somewhere along the line I fixed a bug where on the Mac exiting a level would cause the next level to be full bright (as if you had light amp goggles).  Also the very latest has SDL inside the app bundle so it should work for more people.

While I'm here I might as well say (for anyone who might be wondering), these binaries should work for anyone using an Intel or PowerPC Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.  And also there are plans for Skulltag on the Mac, it's just a matter of when Torr updates to the proper ZDoom base.  Though it probably won't have OpenGL for a while since Apple does everything differently.

Thanks for the info, Blzut3!