Cycloptis? Cycloptus? What's the deal!?

Started by Manny Cav, April 21, 2008, 07:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the "proper" name for the Flemoid?

Cycloptus
7 (46.7%)
Cycloptis
8 (53.3%)
What's a Cyclopt*s?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Manny Cav

After looking into the whole Cycloptis/Cycloptus thing, I've uncovered a few instances of both, and I'm beginning to wonder what the "proper" name for the floating Flemoid is. The majority of the instances point towards "Cycloptus", and that name makes more sense, seeing as a lot of the other Flemoids end in "us" (Bipedicus, Commonus, Quadrupus, Maximus, etc.), but I decided to take a poll on others' opinions.

Here's a list of instances of the names. Feel free to add your own. You can download the website scans of www.chexquest.com at FileFront or Chex Quest Gallery, or you can also view the individual files at rrppo's archive.

Cycloptus

• Chex Quest screensaver
  • scan0004.jpg
  • scan0019.jpg
  • scan0023.jpg
Cycloptis

• Chex Quest menu
  • scan0010.jpg (or scan0011.jpg)

P.S.: My vote's on Cycloptus.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Green Avenger

It does seem more correct for it to be Cycloptus, by Cycloptis is what I've been calling it, for no other reason than I thought it looked better.  I don't rightly know, but my votes for Cycloptus.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

Eh, I chose Cycloptis...I never said it with a Us...always a Iss.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

I think that we, as the center of the Chex Quest fan community, should come to a general consensus on what the real name for this Flemoid is. So, uh, yeah, this is important.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

You realize one of the Creaters (Chukker) posted Cycloptis in his Gift for the fans topic. http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/chexquestforums/index.php?showtopic=2248 I dont know if that means anything to you guys, but I vote Cycloptis.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

...You really don't pull your punches, do you? :D
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

But, still, wouldn't it look pretty strange if I went around typing "Commonis" or "Bipedicis"? Cycloptis is in that same vein, so why should that be any different?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Well, we could always ask Chukker. See what he thinks.

Atariangamer

Good idea...

But also, look at the animal orders. Its all Latin, they don't all end in the same thing. Now, it also starts how you said it. You read "Cylcloptis" real quick with a bunch of other "-us" endings, you might say "cycloptus"...but it is all in how you look at it.

Replica

Your saying, they should both be proper?

Manny Cav

It may also be like "colour" and "color" (there are also probably a good many other American spellings that don't involve British spelling differences like that), where neither spelling is incorrect, and both are acceptable, so we may have to also consider that possibility, as well.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

*snaps fingers, points at Cav* You got something there, mister!

Not to say I'm more on the british side of things (i speak with a slight accent, though I never have been there, and use the alternate spellings...like colour) but two spellings isn't always bad...

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

Even though I've honestly seen "Cycloptis" more, "Cycloptus" is better.

PatPeter

Haha, this discussion came back.

Definitely Cycloptus, not only do all other flemoids end in it but it is a Latin ending.