Chexy Minecraft Action?

Started by wiweeyum, October 19, 2012, 06:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZ Trooper

And of course, for proper playthrough one must use the Chex Quest skins matthias found.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

wiweeyum

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/210830-chex-quest-skins/

Haha! Yeah, that would be great. I'm currently playing as the doomguy. Might just have to swap over.

Been working mucho the past few days. I'll try and finish the level tomorrow, and upload the first build of the world so you all can play it at your leisure. I'll put it up on dropbox in a .zip and keep it fairly updated.

I think I'm going to totally finalize E1M1 before moving on to the storage facility, mostly because hollowing out an entire mountain's worth of E1M2, 3, most of 4, and 5 sounds really tedious, and I'd like to take it in smaller bits. I'll get E1M1 done and uploaded so that if I start to run out of steam at least something will be released for y'all to keep poking me to keep working on.

LAZ Trooper

One word: MCedit. No more tedious digging.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

wiweeyum

Quote from: LAZ Trooper on October 25, 2012, 10:14:40 PM
One word: MCedit. No more tedious digging.

Yeah... I'm still trying to decide if I want to "get it done" or take ultra pride in doing it one block at a time.

wiweeyum

Today's update! I spent a lot of time figuring out logistics mostly. I finally figured out how to use GZDoomBuilder (thanks to the post in Boingo's thread) and took some measurements of size for the storage facility. I started blocking out the size of the main room, and it was so big that it broke outside of the mountains. haha!

And then I just went for it and dismantled the first landing pad so that I could make it the right size. It'll look and feel a lot better when I build it again.

And lastly, here's the most recent build of the Bazoik file. Up to date on par with these pictures.
ChexCraft v.1 (using Boingo's release build numbering system)

MajorSlime

Oop! Sorry, missed the last couple of posts. As for doors and pistons... hmm... I know of a way to do the lifts, but only one block wide (they are only one wide though, aren't they?) Doors though... I suppose a sliding piston door would work (not necessarily up and down though). I can hook you up with some schematics of doors up to 4x4, if you wish.

EDIT: If someone wants to make a texture pack that turns mobs into flemoids, I can get some flemoids into the maps ;)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

wiweeyum

Gah! I totally typed up a big update this morning, and didn't actually post it! Noooo! Ah well... I did some more work today, so instead of doing a new small update, I'll just do a summary of both.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on October 27, 2012, 01:44:01 AM
I can hook you up with some schematics of doors up to 4x4, if you wish.
If someone wants to make a texture pack that turns mobs into flemoids, I can get some flemoids into the maps ;)
This and this! I'm only sorta familiar with redstone, so any help in this regard would be insanely helpful. And I can do textures for mobs... but I'd need some guidance as to how the process works. Y'know, the whole technical side.

Okay! First off, you can download the most recent version of this MC World here:
ChexCraft Beta v.3

So yesterday I started by hollowing out the storage facility's main room. I caved (hehe get it) and busted out the MCEdit. This was after spending a good four hours clearing out only about an eighth of the room by hand. Enough was enough.

Then I started messing with a bunch of different combinations for wall colors. I finally settled on the stone/light grey wool stripes. I think it feels pretty close to what the in game texture is. I also think using some bedrock for the vents on the wall looks good. I'll actually put those up in another pass though.

I had this brilliant thought that since I had so many colors to choose from, I'd make the crates be all sorts of colorful instead of the "boring" red/brown that they are in the actual game. After seeing the hideous results... I went with the boring option. :)
Also, the glowstone in each top corner of the boxes not only acts as a way to brighten up the room, but is supposed to represent the chex logo and white text that is on the textures in the actual game. Works pretty good to have that much light! Hurray for taking advantage of the limitations of MC.

Then I decided I'd take a crack at putting an outer shell on the E1M1 structure. Honestly, I think it's looks like poo. I'mm do something different. Thoughts?

I finally made the beginning landing pad at the correct size, and used MCEdit to place the spawn point here. So if you download and play it, you'll start in a logical place. :)

And I made the long staircase going down to the teleporter. First picture is from the top looking down, and the second is the bottom looking up.

I promise that there are a lot more subtleties that I've thrown in, but I already have way too many pictures in this post. :) What are your thoughts thus far?

MajorSlime

Looks good so far.

Doors:
3x3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS-8QTXEfls&list=PL374A9C2F1C08E613&index=6&feature=plcp
4x4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmognpqbcU&feature=plcp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czt7s9mmsbE&feature=plcp <- slightly smaller version with actual tut

Just copy the design's exactly. If you need help, we can schedule a time where I can hop on a server you setup and help or something. I would really like to get on there and start messing with detailing and some cool advanced stuff, its making me twitch XD

ChexCommander

Wow, great work on this so far. I don't know why, but I really like the stairs to the teleporter. Very accurate.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

Holy shazzbot the 4x4 is massive! Haha! I think I may nry not to worry about it too much at this point... Unless you want to come on and try it. The door leading from E1M1 to E1M2 is a 4x4, and should have room to build it. It's mostly inside a mountain.

I'll look into interwebbing the world. I could always throw it onto a hamachi server via LAN, or I could look into importing it into an Internet server. Obviously there are benefits and downsides to either option. Scheduling conflicts for the former, and griefers for the latter.

MajorSlime

griefers? make it whitelisted...

hamachi would work for me, i've already got it and use it often

Atariangamer

I can host pretty well, but its a home server, so a feature like FTP to get the files to and from reliably would take a bit to set up... (but is not out of the question)

It can also run 24/7.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

MajorSlime

Atariangamer

I think I got the procedure to 'reset' my bandwidth down pat. When my external IP renews, all gets better. It hadn't renewed for a month when we started having problems.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

wiweeyum

Okay, I've got it hosted up on a hamachi server right now. It'll be up for the rest of the day. I've never set up a server before, so let me know if there are any problems.

IPv4: 5.210.37.123
Name: ChexCraft
Password: bipedicus

Edit:
LAN IP: 192.168.1.101:51421

I finished laying out E1M1 finally! Huzzah! There are definitely some problems, but at least the skeleton it there. Among other things, the landing pads are sometimes asymmetrical, or blocks are inconsistent. Light styles are also inconsistent. Not big problems, but things to think about nonetheless.

Red key room.

Mini-zorcher landing pad.