Slight problem when playing Chex Quest 2, game quits by itself :(

Started by celebi23, June 07, 2008, 04:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celebi23

Finally decided to take a crack at CQ2 & have a little problem.  I'm in the first level & just got the red key.  I tried opening either of the red doors near the start of the level & the game automatically quits on me.  I hear the sound of the door opening & then it just quits on me.  Doesn't matter which door I try opening.  The installer that I have for the game is named "INSTALL.EXE", is 2.4MB & was last created/modified/opened on 7/15/97 @ 8:51am (according to Finder on my Mac) (playing it via VMware).  Luckily I saved the game right before trying to open the door :D  Has anyone else had trouble in this part of the game before?

The Slimeinator

YES. It was the most irking event of my Chex Quest Career! >:(

To fix this error:

Download GZDooM (at grafzahl.drdteam.org) and put the Chex Quest IWAD and the Chex Quest 2 PWAD. Drag the PWAD to the GZDooM Executable and select the Chex Quest IWAD (if you get a choice) to run.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

Quote from: The Slimeinator on June 07, 2008, 10:08:12 AM
YES. It was the most irking event of my Chex Quest Career! >:(

To fix this error:

Download GZDooM (at grafzahl.drdteam.org) and put the Chex Quest IWAD and the Chex Quest 2 PWAD. Drag the PWAD to the GZDooM Executable and select the Chex Quest IWAD (if you get a choice) to run.
Unfortunately, that's not a true fix. I tried it and it didn't work, and even if it did, I'm sure the text wouldn't be right, as well as a few other things.

celebi23, your best bet is either to try The Ultimate Chex Quest, or, if you're like me and just have to have that authentic Chex Quest 2 experience, you can try to go through that area on Chex Quest 2 using DOSBox. There is a Mac version on the website, so you shouldn't have to go through double-emulation using VMware. You're other alternative is to run through that area in Map View mode. If you have trouble zorching Flemoids in this manner, just use the sherrill cheat twice to bring up expanded information (I find using cheats acceptable in a situation like this), and use it a third time to cancel it out.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

I think the one on the left crashes, so don't use that one.

celebi23

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Quote from: Manny Cav on June 07, 2008, 11:29:07 AM
if you're like me and just have to have that authentic Chex Quest 2 experience, you can try to go through that area on Chex Quest 2 using DOSBox. There is a Mac version on the website, so you shouldn't have to go through double-emulation using VMware. You're other alternative is to run through that area in Map View mode.

How did you instal chex quest 1 & 2 via DOSBox?  I tried that before using VMware & it told me that it needed windows 3.1 or above to instal Chex Quest  :-\

edit:
I'm able to enter map view mode, open the door & walk through.  Once I hit tab again, the game quits on me :(

Atariangamer

??? I never got to play the original CQ2...So I didn't get problems. Only suggestion is TUCQ or the best thing, get the files already installed (but mebe compatibility mode "win95" on the installer would work...) in a zip and extract to the file...well here's what you do:
1. Get DOSBox.
2. Install CQ and CQ2 (or just get the pwad and make a .bat to run command lines)
3. Place these files in an easy filename (preferably no spaces and close to the root (C:\)
4. Go to DOSBox and type 'mount c c:\*' (where * is the path)
5. Type 'C:\'
6. Type 'chex.exe' or the name of the .bat file you want

That gets you setup, but you still need the files..
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

celebi23

I've got everything working now :D  Got Windows 3.1 up & running (in DOSBox) & got full sound support by using Boxer to open up the .bat files.  Although the music isn't playing back quite right though.  It sounds like the music is missing a few channels.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Anonymous (ChexGuy331) on June 07, 2008, 11:57:07 AM
I think the one on the left crashes, so don't use that one.
To my experience, they both do it.
Quote from: celebi23 on June 07, 2008, 02:15:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Quote from: Manny Cav on June 07, 2008, 11:29:07 AM
if you're like me and just have to have that authentic Chex Quest 2 experience, you can try to go through that area on Chex Quest 2 using DOSBox. There is a Mac version on the website, so you shouldn't have to go through double-emulation using VMware. You're other alternative is to run through that area in Map View mode.

How did you instal chex quest 1 & 2 via DOSBox?  I tried that before using VMware & it told me that it needed windows 3.1 or above to instal Chex Quest  :-\
You don't install them with DOSBox. However, from your description, it looks like Mac won't let Chex Quest install itself, anyway. Is this true? If so, then DOSBox is pretty much useless, so you had better just go with the Tab strategy, only you're not supposed to leave Map View mode until you finish the level, which the game will do automatically upon starting the second level. You have to go to the wall at the far end of the big room with the exit switch in the middle of the wall and hit that in Map View mode.

EDIT: It looks like you may have things settled.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

celebi23

Just beat Chex Quest 2 for the first time (Could never get it running on the PPC iBook that I used to have, I now have a MacBook Pro) ;D  Really wish that there was an official Chex Quest 3.  Heck, I'd even pay for one.  I think the series could work much better as a trilogy, especially since the ending of CQ2 hinted hinted about "The Next Mission".

Manny Cav

I would, too. Replica's going for a replacement, though, and True_Dude is aiming to "legalize" the old Chex Quest 3.

I remember when I first played Chex Quest 2. The internet was relatively new to me, and I had just stumbled upon the Chex Quest fan community, where I hit up all of the good websites (some of which are no longer online) and began my lurking career at the old InvisionFree website. This was a few years ago, mabey 2003-2005, or sometime like that. The real timeline escapes my memory.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

I found the Scifience (ick) version of cq 1 & 2 after the real disc I got broke (my REALLY old computer died with it in the drive during a power burst...it almost burnt the disc). I then found here, and got hooked.

Also, I forgot you said Mac...But wait, how did you get Win 3.1? (I have the discs here, and would love to run my favorite OS on my computer...even through DOSBox...

celebi23

I followed this guide
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

Just install the drivers that the guy suggests & Chex Quest will run AMAZINGLY in DOSBox (Win3.1).  I got native speed, native control feel & responsiveness
8)

Manny Cav

You're not actually running DOSBox in a Windows 3.1 environment that's running on a Mac computer, are you?

EDIT: Wait. Now you're blowing out my brain cells. Are you running Windows 3.1 through DOSBox on a Mac computer?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

HOLY SHOOT! If he followed that to the letter and also followed the 3.x instrux, HES RUNNIN CLASSIC WINDOWS ON A MAC!
WoOt!!!!1!1

Dang. I gotta try THIS! *glances at 11:29pm clock* on second thought...mebe tomorrow...but WOW! I can have fun again! And even better, PLAY CQ LIKE FOR REAL! No emulation! True 3.1 in Modern!

(sorry for the outbburst! this is incredible!)

celebi23

Lemme try & clear this up a bit.I've got DOSBox 0.72 on Mac OS X.  I installed Windows 3.1 in DOSBox by following the instructions in the link that I posted.  Only took about 15/20 minutes tops to get everything up & running properly.  Something that I noticed though was that you may need to execute the CHEX1.BAT/CHEX2.BAT files directly from the DOS command line, without booting DOSBox into Win3.1.  Seems to be some memory error.  Oh & if you try & open the menu.exe file, DOSBox will freeze up & quit & neither the intro movie or ending movie will play without freezing DOSBox too.  I suggest using this idea that I had:

I've got the DOSBox frontend called "Boxer" for Mac OS X & I'm able to associate those 2 .bat files with Boxer & I'm able to run the games via aliases on my Desktop like so:

The perfect solution :D