Chex4Win Primary Topic

Started by DestroyedEDGE, August 30, 2015, 11:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DestroyedEDGE

Ok, I have gotten around to making it a fully-fledged IWAD, but I will not release this version, because it is broken. Seriously.

Awesomedude249

It's definitely not an IWAD of its own yet, otherwise you wouldn't be using TUCQ as an IWAD. The textures are broken.

Also, I keep telling you, there is not a purpose to this project as the original chex quest runs fine on any sourceport.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

DestroyedEDGE

Actually, I used the textures from TUCQ that are downloadable from the Chex Quest Gallery, and if I launch GZDoom, which is renamed chex4win.exe, it detects chex.wad and chex4win.wad. Chex.wad is detected as Chex Quest (duh) and chex4win.wad is detected as DOOM Shareware. No, I did not use a batch file, I just directly opened GZDoom.

Awesomedude249

Those textures are from TUCQ Phase II Beta III, most likely, they all are covered in "CHANGE ME" writing. Use the textures from Chex Quest 3.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

MajorSlime

IWADs must be registered directly with the source port. Any IWAD that is not already known to be an IWAD by the source port will automatically be "DOOM shareware", as far as I know. If your trying to make it be registered as the chex IWAD, you might want to try using the chex IWAD as a base.

Also, what awesomedude says is correct; WAD files are platform independent - it doesn't matter if you use them on DOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, Phone, fancy calculator (that exists), or anything. The WAD can't even tell what its running on, because the WAD has no actual code in it; it is nothing but a compressed archive of a bunch of files. The original assumption of this project was you were writing a new program to use as a source engine. If that is still correct, then I do not see why you are messing with WAD files, as they have nothing to do with the source engine besides the fact that the engine reads them.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

DestroyedEDGE

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on August 31, 2015, 03:28:33 PM
IWADs must be registered directly with the source port. Any IWAD that is not already known to be an IWAD by the source port will automatically be "DOOM shareware", as far as I know. If your trying to make it be registered as the chex IWAD, you might want to try using the chex IWAD as a base.

Also, what awesomedude says is correct; WAD files are platform independent - it doesn't matter if you use them on DOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, Phone, fancy calculator (that exists), or anything. The WAD can't even tell what its running on, because the WAD has no actual code in it; it is nothing but a compressed archive of a bunch of files. The original assumption of this project was you were writing a new program to use as a source engine. If that is still correct, then I do not see why you are messing with WAD files, as they have nothing to do with the source engine besides the fact that the engine reads them.
Well, if it really is DOOM Shareware then it will be detected as that. I opened GZDoom and I had Chex4Win.wad and Chex.wad in my folder and I did not use a batch file. If you use a batch file on a PWAD, and set it as an IWAD, it will be Doom Shareware. Once again, I DID NOT USE A BATCH FILE!!

DestroyedEDGE

This is actually what I am doing to create a WAD that fixes the resolution issue.

DestroyedEDGE

Also, Awesomedude, I used TUCQ release 5, and some textures were renamed, and there was probably a file for the old textures to say "CHANGE ME!" still.

DestroyedEDGE

Actually, sorry about that correcting. I should start fresh and just use the Chex Quest iwad as a base. I will need to get better textures, though.

Awesomedude249

Please click modify instead of creating a new post. It's okay since you didn't know, just try to refrain from double posting.

That said, the WAD DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE RESOLUTION. It is just a compilation of information in one file, it's not related to the resolution. It's the sourceport that matters.

MajorSlime

Again, awesomedude is right, you can't affect the resolution IN ANY WAY by modifying a WAD. Also, loading from a batch file or loading by dragging and dropping or loading any other way DOES NOT MATTER. It all does the same exact thing, and will not affect how the WAD is detected.

DestroyedEDGE

Why does it look better on DOSBox than GZDoom then?

MajorSlime

BECAUSE THATS THE FREAKIN ENGINE. A WAD WONT CHANGE THAT.

DOSBox = ENGINE.
GZDOOM = DIFFERENT ENGINE.

SEE THE DIFFERENCE? THE WAD WILL BE THE EXACT SAME ON BOTH. IE WAD DOES NOT EQUAL ENGINE.

DestroyedEDGE

Ok, I've been trying to fork GZDoom but there are too many missing files for it. I need a working GZDoom source code zip.

MajorSlime

Can't help ya with that. It's been a while since I've even looked at the GZDoom source code. Besides that, I'm still not sure messing around with code is the best option for this. You still haven't given us very much details on the problem itself (or maybe you have, its been a while and I don't remember much of the original problem besides it has something to do with resolution).