Converting DooM WADs to CQ (or T.U.C.Q, or CQ3)

Started by Boingo the Clown, September 07, 2015, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomekop

I started out with converting the first level of Freedoom to Chex... then I realized that crushers go against the spirit of it, and would probably need to work around that. I'll throw what I had on dropbox, and edit this post.

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4kpn28spp0g789/freedoommap1chex.wad?dl=0
Note that it runs with Chex3, due to using textures from it. (like grass.)

Awesomedude249

All that I get when I run it is the regular FreeDooM map with jumbled up textures that are CQ. Did you change ANYTHING at all?
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Nomekop

could have sworn I managed to change the first visible outdoor area... I'll have to check it again later.
If you were to load the unmodified first map, the outdoors would have random spaceships instead of trees.

Awesomedude249

I saw that was changed, but nothing else was. At least change a significant amount of stuff before calling it a conversion of the first map.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Boingo the Clown

Quote from: Nomekop on September 15, 2015, 09:07:29 AM
I started out with converting the first level of Freedoom to Chex... then I realized that crushers go against the spirit of it, and would probably need to work around that.

I fully agree with that.  Crushers are very unChex Quest.

xbolt

They're not crushers, they're... Um... Moving... Slime... Roof... Things?

Nomekop

Maybe if I replaced the Slimed Chexter with a Zorchfield Slime chunk, then turned the rock into meteor chunk... we could have a portion of the flemoid dimension crossing over into ours!
(But Yeah, I need to get back to work on that.)

Drwalrustein

So we have Nomekop and Boingo remaking doom and freedom into chex.

Nomekop

What? No. Heck No. I doubt I'd be able to finish the first level.

Also, I managed to add a little more progress: cleaning up two more outdoor areas further. Indoor areas definitely need work done, though, and I am not entirely sure that the Wall selection was good. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4kpn28spp0g789/freedoommap1chex.wad?dl=0

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT DID I DO TO THE MAP DEAR GOD NO

Boingo the Clown

Boingo the Clown

I was going great guns on converting Vilecore at first, but I find myself slowing down on the project already.

I am wondering if perhaps this is something that should be done as a group project, rather than my just doing it myself.

Missing monsters are a problem, but I am tossing temporary versions in to make them work until I can make up permanent replacements.

The biggest headache is the lack of textures and flats.  I am trying to whip up substitutes, but I do not know how much extra time that will take.

DestroyedEDGE

Ok, I managed to find Hell To Pay, and am working on converting it.

DestroyedEDGE

Quote from: Nomekop on September 16, 2015, 06:41:05 PM
What? No. Heck No. I doubt I'd be able to finish the first level.

Also, I managed to add a little more progress: cleaning up two more outdoor areas further. Indoor areas definitely need work done, though, and I am not entirely sure that the Wall selection was good. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4kpn28spp0g789/freedoommap1chex.wad?dl=0
Um... is this supposed to happen?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nomekop

Awesomedude249

WVL, that promblem is caused by a Doom II texture that doesn't have a CQ equivalent. Therefore, it uses that checkerboard pattern.