Converting DooM WADs to CQ (or T.U.C.Q, or CQ3)

Started by Boingo the Clown, September 07, 2015, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

Awesomedude249

I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

DestroyedEDGE

I mean I was floating around in the middle of nowhere.

DestroyedEDGE

I had to do a bit of wad editing and rename MAP01 to E1M1, MAP02 to E1M2, MAP03 to E1M3, MAP04 to E1M4, etc. I also had to delete the other levels and kept MAP01-MAP09. Yes I realized that I had to replace everything in the WAD (because everything replaces everything in DOOM 2 and there are duplicates of DOOM 2 sprites & junk) so I am working on it still.

Boingo the Clown

Rather than renaming all the levels, for Vilecore I just whipped up a MAPINFO lump that defined Vilecore as an extra episode of T.U.C.Q. when loaded.

// Vilecore for The Ultimate Chex Quest MAPINFO lump

// ##########################################################################
// #                                                                        #
// #                          Episode Definitions                           #
// #                                                                        #
// ##########################################################################

episode MAP01
{
    name = "Vilecore"
   key = "v"
}

// Episode

map MAP01 "EVILZONE"
{
    levelnum = 51
//    titlepatch = "WILV00"
    next = "MAP02"
    secretnext = "MAP02"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    cluster = 5
    music = "D_E1M1"
    intermusic = "D_INTER"
    exitpic = "$INTERM01"
    noinfighting
}

map MAP02 "HALLS OF DOOM"
{
    levelnum = 52
    titlepatch = "WILV00"
    next = "MAP03"
    secretnext = "MAP03"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    cluster = 5
    music = "D_E1M1"
    intermusic = "D_INTER"
    exitpic = "$INTERM01"
    noinfighting
}

map MAP31 "BLOODSTONE"
{
    levelnum = 81
    titlepatch = "WILV00"
    next = "MAP16"
    secretnext = "MAP32"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    cluster = 5
    music = "D_E1M1"
    intermusic = "D_INTER"
    exitpic = "$INTERM01"
    noinfighting
}

map MAP32 "THE VILECORE"
{
    levelnum = 82
    titlepatch = "WILV00"
    next = "MAP16"
    secretnext = "MAP16"
    sky1 = "SKY1", 0
    cluster = 5
    music = "D_E1M1"
    intermusic = "D_INTER"
    exitpic = "$INTERM01"
    noinfighting
}

// Clusters (correspond with same-numbered episode)

cluster 5
{
    pic = "GRADED"
    music = "D_VICTOR"
   entertext = lookup, "STARTTEXT"
    exittext = lookup, "STARTTEXT"

}

So right now, when this version of Vilcore is present, it appears as an extra epsode, and the entire 32 level megawad plays out as a single series, rather than being broken up into smaller episodes.

Replica

Quote from: WindowsVistaLover5570 on September 19, 2015, 08:15:56 PM
Quote from: Nomekop on September 16, 2015, 06:41:05 PM
What? No. Heck No. I doubt I'd be able to finish the first level.

Also, I managed to add a little more progress: cleaning up two more outdoor areas further. Indoor areas definitely need work done, though, and I am not entirely sure that the Wall selection was good. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4kpn28spp0g789/freedoommap1chex.wad?dl=0
Um... is this supposed to happen?

That's not a 'Checkerboard texture', rather, it's a Hall of Mirrors (HOM). This happens when a Sidedef (A linedef with only one side, the other side is the empty void outside a map) has no texture on it. I suppose it can also be caused by a texture with a see through part in it. I guess it's also possible that the sectors in that area are corrupt, and claim that sidedef as it's own, when it really belongs to another sector.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Quote from: Replica on September 20, 2015, 12:40:06 PM
Quote from: WindowsVistaLover5570 on September 19, 2015, 08:15:56 PM
Quote from: Nomekop on September 16, 2015, 06:41:05 PM
What? No. Heck No. I doubt I'd be able to finish the first level.

Also, I managed to add a little more progress: cleaning up two more outdoor areas further. Indoor areas definitely need work done, though, and I am not entirely sure that the Wall selection was good. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4kpn28spp0g789/freedoommap1chex.wad?dl=0
Um... is this supposed to happen?

That's not a 'Checkerboard texture', rather, it's a Hall of Mirrors (HOM). This happens when a Sidedef (A linedef with only one side, the other side is the empty void outside a map) has no texture on it. I suppose it can also be caused by a texture with a see through part in it. I guess it's also possible that the sectors in that area are corrupt, and claim that sidedef as it's own, when it really belongs to another sector.

This is good information on HOMs, but I just want to note that there is a checkerboard texture on the floor of the area in the screenshot.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Awesomedude249

Whoops, didn't notice the HOM. Yeah, I thought it was the checkerboard floor he was talking about.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

DestroyedEDGE

I was talking about being floated (with no way to control myself) over to that wall in the screenshot.

Nomekop

But yeah, no idea why the sector glitch is happening, as it looked fine on the slade editor... maybe some sort of nodebuilder error, I think.

There's a few things that can cause HOMs/checkerboards.

First of all, just to eliminate the easy stuff, WindowsVistaLover, what wads did you run with Nomekop's wad?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

DestroyedEDGE

chex3.wad using the chex3.exe engine. But, I just opened it up with SLADE3 and there are no nodes, subsectors, blockmap, or reject table.

I think you need to load TUCQ too. Also, you may need to download the latest version of zDoom or gzDoom to run TUCQ.

Nomekop

Except I didn't touch TUCQ, so.

...right, gotta locate a nodebuilder since slade3 didn't like it on that note.

Boingo the Clown

Ah.

There are a couple of potential causes of HOM I know of that are not caused by the nodes. Maybe a single sided lindef is flipped so that the right side is facing away from its parent sector instead on into it, or maybe two linedefs are overlapping, or maybe two linedefs are meeting, but they are not connected to to the same vertex. I used a lot of prefabs in both DeiMWolf and T.U.C.Q., and ran into these problems a lot.