Chex Quest: The Lost Quest Discussion Topic (Outdated)

Started by arch129, June 30, 2008, 04:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arch129

Well heres a topic for anything you might wanna say about TLQ.
When in news Im allmost done with E2M1.  ;D

Atariangamer

...I like your mapping style. ALOT.
The maps make you think. Thats the game I play best in. Not run and gun. I got through most of the levels feeling like I had a challenge. I liked that. good job!

*off topic* What I'd like to see you do is remake the original Chex Quest levels. Kinda like KDIZD, but without all the super fancy stuff. Just a simple remake.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

arch129

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on June 30, 2008, 06:03:49 PM
...I like your mapping style. ALOT.
The maps make you think. Thats the game I play best in. Not run and gun. I got through most of the levels feeling like I had a challenge. I liked that. good job!

*off topic* What I'd like to see you do is remake the original Chex Quest levels. Kinda like KDIZD, but without all the super fancy stuff. Just a simple remake.

Agian I glad you like my levels ;D
I have done some things to the orignal Chex Quest levels but sometime I might try something like that.
I have been working on a DooM Wolfenstein mod, its supost to be a puzzle wad, someday I might put it on my website.

Atariangamer

Hmm...

The problem I had with e1m7 was the fact that nothing worked! I never found out what to do with those keys...I just couldn't find that one thing I needed to get through...I skipped to m8, and Whoo! I liked that. A bit tough with the maximus at close quarters like that...hmm. I liked overall, and didn't even try and find the secret level...

arch129

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on June 30, 2008, 07:34:50 PM
Hmm...

The problem I had with e1m7 was the fact that nothing worked! I never found out what to do with those keys...I just couldn't find that one thing I needed to get through...I skipped to m8, and Whoo! I liked that. A bit tough with the maximus at close quarters like that...hmm. I liked overall, and didn't even try and find the secret level...

In e1m7 there is a teleporter that leads to a hallway with doors to use the keys. The teleporter is in the right door when you start the level and get out of the first room.

Zorchdude

Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

arch129

Quote from: Zorchdude on October 11, 2008, 03:25:45 AM
I can't complete E1M1.
But great maps! ^^

Thanks! ^^
For your troubles, you might be talking about the blue door and that you need to shoot a button to open the blue door to get the blue key.

Sir_Furious

Ok, I only got to the 2nd level, but one thing i noticed. Jumping. You set up a few areas that need the player to jump from area A, onto platform B, and then on to Place C... With this game, The jumping is very hard... At least, it is when you just recently found the free look, jump, and crouch commands. I do like the idea, but for a mostly 2D game like this (in the original, there was no place where you NEEDED to jump. All the motion was forward, backward, side-to-side.) It is very difficult. Is there any way you could do something like decrease the gravity level to compensate for this? I got so vexed by the second level jump area (which i fell in the water pit and couldn't get out of...) that i used the command "noclip". I know. Lousy cheater. All the other games I've played that have jumping challenges have a higher jump limit, and I've almost never had any problems with those.
Chex Warrior:So, Y'all are the Flemoids?
Flemoids:Yep, thats about the size of it.
Chex Warrior:Oh, so Y'all slime people?
Flemoids:That's our specialty.
Chex Warrior:AHHH! DIE EVIL FLEMOIDS!
Flemoids:GAK!

arch129

Quote from: Sir_Furious on March 04, 2009, 12:46:07 AM
Ok, I only got to the 2nd level, but one thing i noticed. Jumping. You set up a few areas that need the player to jump from area A, onto platform B, and then on to Place C... With this game, The jumping is very hard... At least, it is when you just recently found the free look, jump, and crouch commands. I do like the idea, but for a mostly 2D game like this (in the original, there was no place where you NEEDED to jump. All the motion was forward, backward, side-to-side.) It is very difficult. Is there any way you could do something like decrease the gravity level to compensate for this? I got so vexed by the second level jump area (which i fell in the water pit and couldn't get out of...) that i used the command "noclip". I know. Lousy cheater. All the other games I've played that have jumping challenges have a higher jump limit, and I've almost never had any problems with those.
Well I guess the only advice I can offer is to practice jumping with mouse look, I could add a super secret passage way for those who have troubles jumping across. Also you said you got stuck in the water, there should be a lift near the start. I hope this helps.

Sir_Furious

Ok. Thanks. Now, another matter. In the 2nd level, there is a Maximus. Don't you think it's in there a little early? I could see a Flembrane, but I think that the maximus is a bit early...

Not to be rude but, you can only get better if you know what to fix...
Chex Warrior:So, Y'all are the Flemoids?
Flemoids:Yep, thats about the size of it.
Chex Warrior:Oh, so Y'all slime people?
Flemoids:That's our specialty.
Chex Warrior:AHHH! DIE EVIL FLEMOIDS!
Flemoids:GAK!

arch129

Quote from: Sir_Furious on March 04, 2009, 12:23:31 PM
Ok. Thanks. Now, another matter. In the 2nd level, there is a Maximus. Don't you think it's in there a little early? I could see a Flembrane, but I think that the maximus is a bit early...

Personally I believe that that not too early, in E1M8 the last level (Not in beta 1.5 yet) there's about 20 of them.

The Slimeinator

Dude, the Flembrane is stronger than the Maximus in many mods. In all the rest, they are equal.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Quote from: arch129 on March 04, 2009, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: Sir_Furious on March 04, 2009, 12:23:31 PM

Personally I believe that that not too early, in E1M8 the last level (Not in beta 1.5 yet) there's about 20 of them.

Maximi are easy. Sliminators' mods would usually have a Cyberdemon by the 2nd level. Try taking down one of those with nothing stronger than a propulsor and a rapid zorcher.  :o

I can beat Maximi with a large zorcher. It's shots are slow and easy to dodge. Try some strafing and keep your distance  ;)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Yeah, Maximi are super easy with practice. But Cybies and Spidies aren't, sadly.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Just give it some practice. And I will agree that the jumping puzzles are VERY hard, but I mastered them after a few tries.