Chex Quest cutscene mod for GZDoom

Started by Melodic Spaceship, July 15, 2022, 03:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melodic Spaceship

Recently, I found out that GZDoom added support for cutscenes. So I made this little mod that will add Chex Quest's intro and ending cutscenes in-game using this new feature: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=17_dY9LzYXLo2VzCRWZOfoKc3Aca1gDVS
It's compatible with both Chex Quest 1 and 3.

Boingo the Clown

Melodic Spaceship

GZDoom specifically added support for a few types of FMV cutscenes, so this mod adds in the intro and ending video files that came with the original release of Chex Quest. The intro plays when first booting up the game or when starting the first episode (depending on the IWAD used) and the ending plays after beating E1M5.

Is this feature potentially something that might be useful for TUCQ?

Boingo the Clown

Potentially.

I didn't get around to completing it, but I was working on video intros and extros via in game cameras and textures.  They would have worked  something like storyboard reals, where  individual pics would have been displayed along with the sound.

King Ezra The Wise

Would Shiny Kantonian Grimer, Shiny Kantonian Muk and non shiny Alolan Grimer be possible for a Chex quest mod they could use sludge bomb but the color is green instead of purple

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

King Ezra The Wise

Since Muk has a higher physical attack stat he can shoot slime balls like lord Snotfolus but the close quarters sound will be like the flembrane and Maximus his zorch sound can be the anime cry while his encounter sound can be the cry from the Pokémon games

Boingo the Clown

Ezra. Are you familiar with DooM modding?

Boingo the Clown

Chex Quest is basically a DooM mod. People have been making DooM mods since 1994, and people (including me) have been making Chex Quest mods since 1996.

If it interests you, you can learn DooM editing.

Then you can work on a Chex Quest mod.

There are plenty of tutorials around that can teach you how to do it.

I think you might enjoy that.

Ether Bot

the sound in the opening cutscene seems to be absent. The ending cutscene plays as intended though.
When In don't, doubt!

Melodic Spaceship

Huh, the sound works fine for me. What version of GZDoom are you using?