An Review

Started by Atariangamer, October 11, 2012, 06:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

I'm surprised that I haven't played this last release, which has been quite awhile ago, through to completion.

So, I decided to try it out. X_X;

Unlike most mods, where I go through on skill 1 or 2 to just get general feedback, I decided to try this on skill 3. Not so bad, but still, outside the usual range? IDK, I went anyways.

My mind is too much of a blur (and I'm not even finished yet...M6 and M7 to go -_-) to give individual map reviews, but general stuff thus far:

Music is interesting, but kind of weird. It doesn't blend well except for the last few levels. Personal opinion, but the last songs were just right.

Jumping puzzles, zomg. No other platforming stuff (even the ones in HL, with Xen) are as hard as these platforming things). Guaranteed 10 times retry on each bit before getting it right. Not that they're designed bad, its just that I find these to  be the toughest jump bits ever. Man.

Sounds. I'm not even kidding how many times I jumped just because I alerted any of the dark flemoids. Not scared because I saw one, because one was firing at me...no. Just the noise, its loudness, and stark contrast to how light and simple everything else in the game is. Even the Megazorcher? (SSG replacement) had this effect. I fired it expecting a layered or louder version of the LZ firing noise...instead I got both with an octaver hooked to it. Not only blew my speakers, but I jumped so bad my shot completely missed. But those flemoids. I had to quit on M6 after a decently long playsession because I fell down a hole and heard this awfully loud just SCREECH. by the time I finally got back under control and aimed, I was dead. I'm all for surprises and what not but that genuinely makes me jump EVERY dang time. And I can't play the game, hopping across small bits in dark rooms when my hands are going haywire all the time :S

Other than that, game is good. I'm just going to have to take a massive break before I try the last two levels...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

MajorSlime

LOL I remember that XD

As for jumping puzzles, yeah, so do not like XD
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

chexquestisawful

which release are you talking about? 21 or 22?
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Atariangamer

I just realized I was wrong...this release was just a few months ago?

But yeah, 21. 22 isn't out yet.

EDIT: I just realized something...Arch's expression is very diverse and not limited to Chex Quest. His old site is rather messed up right now, but still...loads of great stuff he's got going on...Kind of sad he's not around so much lately.

arch129

Quote from: Atariangamer on October 11, 2012, 06:40:48 PM
Jumping puzzles, zomg. No other platforming stuff (even the ones in HL, with Xen) are as hard as these platforming things). Guaranteed 10 times retry on each bit before getting it right. Not that they're designed bad, its just that I find these to  be the toughest jump bits ever. Man.

Don't worry I nerfed those moving platforms. lol

I had to quit on M6 after a decently long playsession because I fell down a hole and heard this awfully loud just SCREECH. by the time I finally got back under control and aimed, I was dead. I'm all for surprises and what not but that genuinely makes me jump EVERY dang time.

The 6th level is indeed in need of some reworking.

Music is interesting, but kind of weird. It doesn't blend well except for the last few levels. Personal opinion, but the last songs were just right.

This has always been a problem, I can't compose music. It's hard to find proper sounding MIDIs for each level, for example e1m2.

Quote from: Atariangamer on October 11, 2012, 09:13:53 PM
...Kind of sad he's not around so much lately.

Blender. I need to learn how to use Blender and make 3D models before I continue with this project. Also I recently have gotten addicted to Reddit. <_<

Atariangamer

Oh hai, arch. XD

Cool to hear it...but 3d models, eh? Combined with the video we saw earlier this year, this is turning into quite the project.

And reddit. A timesink I'm semi-glad I'm not into O_o

Arch129, I recommend Blender: Noob To Pro http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

It's not a fun guide to follow, but you absolutely need to do the first two or three tutorials completely. After the first few you can go off on your own, but the UI is difficult to learn.

Also I recommend downloading an older version of Blender (2.49 works great) if you plan on exporting to MD3 or MD2 because the new version of Blender is too new to export to MD2 or MD3 (the export scripts haven't been updated yet).

I hope that helps
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

MajorSlime

Hmm.. hey Arch, I noticed that your checkpoints don't work on Multiplayer. IDK, would it be possible to somehow make that happen? Like, use a script with perhaps a global variable to change where you start when you respawn in multiplayer?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

arch129

Quote from: 75 on October 13, 2012, 09:46:13 PM
Also I recommend downloading an older version of Blender (2.49 works great) if you plan on exporting to MD3 or MD2 because the new version of Blender is too new to export to MD2 or MD3 (the export scripts haven't been updated yet).

Isn't there converters for that?

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on October 14, 2012, 12:58:39 AM
Hmm.. hey Arch, I noticed that your checkpoints don't work on Multiplayer. IDK, would it be possible to somehow make that happen? Like, use a script with perhaps a global variable to change where you start when you respawn in multiplayer?

Unfortunately I'm not planning multiplayer yet, things will get complicated with dialogue trees, items stores, and cutscenes.

ChexCommander

Quote from: arch129 on October 12, 2012, 06:07:31 AM
Blender. I need to learn how to use Blender and make 3D models before I continue with this project. Also I recently have gotten addicted to Reddit. <_<

NOOO Arch don't get sucked in like I did! It's all cats and bacon and sunshine and stories until they slowly corrupt you, cynically evolving you into a creature that lives on the internet and dwells on the most pedestrian of subreddits...

JK. I'm in it for the funny comments and I get more than my share of those, if I can limit my time XD (also you should check out r/ArtisanVideos and r/mildlyinteresting and r/food, so good)

And I'm gonna agree with 75 in terms of Blender. The UI's so weird that you have to do the tutorials straight before you can get anywhere.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

chexquestisawful

I have the latest version of Blender...The tutorials are a bit trickier to do, since they were written for an older version, but they still are possible. Besides, I like the new layout.
Gone are the days of memorizing millions of key combos, and come are the days of button-based UI!
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Quote from: arch129 on October 16, 2012, 06:21:23 AM
Quote from: 75 on October 13, 2012, 09:46:13 PM

Isn't there converters for that?

the new version of blender can open up the old version's files, but I noticed a glitch where the model lost every face.

If you mean a exporter to MD3 or MD2, the new version of blender uses a different code base than the old version and the MD2/MD3 scripts need to be adjusted or re-coded, and the new version of blender is too new for them to be out yet.

Honestly I don't expect them to be out any time soon -- I imagine 2.49 will be the only choice for exporting to MD2/MD3 for a while.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

noob1234

@Getting startled by the flemegaoids
Ugh, gosh, combined with the creepy music and traps, M6 is just... ._. Love it, just quite... thrilling.