Review of Beta 21

Started by Ether Bot, August 15, 2015, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesomedude249

Wait, so you played it using the chex3 IWAD? That's not the right way. Play it with GZDooM and the chex.wad to get the right playthrough.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Drwalrustein

Ether Bot

But if you make a game, (That game being a mod or not,) you should still try to get the player caught up with your games mechanics. Imagine you had only played the original chex quest back in the 90's, and then wanted to try this out. So you download the wad, download gzdoom (and chex.wad), and play the game. You would have NO idea that you even CAN enable jumping unless you hunt through the menu for long enough. THAT is what I mean when I say "your player has no clue what a videogame is"

And yes, I am fully aware that the situation I set up sounds like a bit of a stretch, but it's not too far off from what actually happened in my case.

All of this being said, I really don't want a prolonged argument due to this. All I really said was that some kind of "enable jumping" hint would have made it more apparent that you need to enable jumping. Which is a pretty objectively true statement.

And even THEN, I was really searching for nits to pick. I didn't even dwell on it too long in the review. It was like a sentence long, and mostly a transition into the JUMPINg PUZZLES.
When In don't, doubt!

Drwalrustein

But doesn't Zdoom or any other variation of it say features about Zdoom. It is not developers of Zdoom/GZDoom for making you know they actually put an about description in zdoom.org just click about. Zdoom devs want you to know its just that they didn't make Zdoom just so it could emulate it they add more features. If they made Zdoom look like vanilla doom 100% then why would it be the reason to get it anyways. So if YOU have those problems then go to http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=23 so you can post a topic about your complaints.

If you really want to make it so that you get a message telling you to bind jumping I think you can make a script to check to see if the user has a key bound, or you could just put a sign in the map somewhere saying "jumping required", that wouldn't be a zdoom feature.

Also features that aren't specific to gzdoom (as in, the opengl renderer) should probably go to www.zdoom.org. (I don't think a "warn the user about jumping" message feature request would get implemented, btw.)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Drwalrustein

Well we solved the problem (maybe?) so could an admin lock this topic.

Awesomedude249

Quote from: Drwalrustein on August 17, 2015, 09:21:20 PM
But doesn't Zdoom or any other variation of it say features about Zdoom. It is not developers of Zdoom/GZDoom for making you know they actually put an about description in zdoom.org just click about. Zdoom devs want you to know its just that they didn't make Zdoom just so it could emulate it they add more features. If they made Zdoom look like vanilla doom 100% then why would it be the reason to get it anyways. So if YOU have those problems then go to http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=23 so you can post a topic about your complaints.

Drwalrustein, after many attempts, I simply cannot comprehend what you are saying. Could you explain it a little bit less, one sentence-y? (no offense)
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Drwalrustein

Zdoom explains its features in the about section since etherbot did not got to see it so it could explain zdooms features. I really want to make my message clear with etherbot by putting lots of sentences. So here let me translate it. The Zdoom devs didn't just make the port just to emulate vanilla doom, they had to add features so they could make the source port stand out. Then I told etherbot if he has complaints about GZDoom then he could go to the GZDoom forums and post a topic.

Awesomedude249

But it's not a complaint about GZDooM, it's a complaint about this mod for not warning you about jumping.

Drwalrustein

Well maybe some should suggest a new feature in the zdoom forums. To give warnings that they have to bind keys.

Awesomedude249

Or make the keys pre-binded in the first place.

Drwalrustein

But the zdoom devs can't do it. They are the orginal controls arrow keys to move control to shoot and space to use. Arch basically took a guess that 75 or 90 percent of players know how to use the jump key. It is not archs fault he thought that all zdoom players know how to use the jump. Also ether John romero himself reccomends keyboard and mouse.

Loremaster

I can see Ether Bot's complaints about the need to be notified that jumping is required. Back when I designed levels, even though DooM Legacy supported jumping, I never made a map that required it. I tried to stick to vanilla features, because that was what I enjoyed.

Also the 3D floor capable editors of the time were fairly complex to use, and I was skivving off of my homework enough as it was.

Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Drwalrustein

Lore can you lock this topic it is going nowhere.

Loremaster

That is for me to decide, not you. The discussion is relevant, civil, and (in my opinion) useful. As such, I will allow it to continue.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!