Author Topic: Set me straight -- on ROMs, music, etc.  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Set me straight -- on ROMs, music, etc.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
Hmm...I never use it for public use...What about stuff that IS in a public domain. Like abandonware that has the licenses and go-ahead with it, or roms from a company that is now defunct (no one bought it)?

Oh, and welcome back, rrppo.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »
Public Domain is just that: Free to the Public. Project Gutenburg is an example of Public Domain [many old, long out of print and copyright books are free to download there]. If either A) The works fell out of copyright for some reason, or B) The publisher released the works as Public Domain or some variation thereof IS legal. I believe it is defined as the Public owning it [that includes you]

A nifty site that allows you to get stuff for free, whilst still being legal [AND letting the artists/writers get paid in the process!] is WOWIO.com. They offer free downloads of books, comics, and such like that. They have an awful lot of books on a wide variety of subjects, written by actual authors and licensed by real publishing companies [Bantam books ring a bell, anyone?]. The books are ad-supported, but they're free to read and download. Just can't redistribute them, but that's no big deal.

The only current problem is that it's only available to U.S. residents right now, but they're working on that.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »
wowio, huh? what format, pdf? or an e-book? Well, I'll have to try and get some. Oh, and there were several games I found in public domains...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting