Reconsidering the Quake engine

Started by Kato, October 08, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kato

In the CQ Half Life Mod thread, the Quake engine was discussed and dismissed.

But, to me, it seems like a logical extension of our DOOM engine-based game.

We have to consider the facts here. Neither GoldSource or Source are free. But the Quake engine, id Tech 2 (the Quake 2 engine), and id Tech 3 (the Quake 3 engine) are all open source, we can do (basically) whatever we want with them.

We also have to be realistic. It would be a heck of a lot easier to add content to a Quake engine game.

id developed the Quake engine for a reason--they'd evolved beyond the DOOM engine. Now, for some people, we have too...so why not keep the simplicity of DOOM, but do what they did, and add higher resolutions and 3D models?

I just wanted to add my part to the argument--to me creating a Quake engine game seems not only viable but very logical.

Atariangamer

Im trying to think...Quake 2 would be better quality, and it was kinda story focused, right?
My main point is NPC and storyline. But a Quake mod for CQ would be pretty awesome...just a bit out of reach tho...

We only have about 3 model makers, and noone who has much BSP experience. It would be easier, but also with the same blocks as a HL mod...we no haz the people.

A GoldSource mod (as I am currently gathering tools and info) would be cool, but almost undoable. A quake mod would be cool, I could go with it.

...anyone got complaints to this? (or can we try to organize something this time?)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

TheMasterOfBattle

Depending and what programming language the engine uses, I could help a bit if it is C++.  I have not done anything on the scale of a game though.

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Kato

We can tell a story in Quake 1. If worst comes to worst, we could use pre-rendered movies.

Quake 2 is when things start to look better. Quake 2 is a very far ancestor of GoldSource. I think Quake 2 might be a little out of our reach right now. GoldSource definitely is (and is also not free).

Just consider it :)

Atariangamer

I was...but due to the story abilities of GoldSource, I started researching and gettin a toolbox for it right after the other topic closed.

Quake would be a great NextStep, and would probably be the best thing to go for. Quake 2 (as you said) is when we get good at that. Quake 3 is gettin kinda up there...I doubt we could get to that anytime soon.

but I would totally like this, and in the other topic, I was kinda wanting the bitswapping to stop so I could ask for some help...I got Milkshape 3d (FULL, thanks to my old game programin book), and the Valve hammer editor (can it make Quake maps?).

and If you have experience in Quake editing/coding...what could we do in the way of NPCs (just something to stand there and give you info)

Replica

This is my OPINION, but to say, if your going to advance CQ, do it through ID tec 3. Quakes engine looks worse then doom's animations. You'll get the same quality in GZdoom models. So If you don't want GZDoom, then go for ID tec 3.

...anyone got complaints to this? (or can we try to organize something this time?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion I hope this help you learn what an opinion is. Your really starting to bug me. DON'T and I mean DON'T ask for some one opinion and yell at them when they do give you their opinion. Now I hope you understand that I was stating my opinion, not telling you that your ideas suck and mine is better. (Every one is entitle to their opinion.) Now i'm not going to talk about this again, so don't bother replying to this paragraph. And please don't lock this Manny, I just needed to get this out.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

@Replica: (please read this)
"DON'T ask for some one opinion and yell at them when they do give you their opinion."
Then I wont this time. I am going to say this tho: I cant use the GZDooM engine at all. If we did a project like this, I'd want to do something with it. But if the engine of choice is one I dont understand, how can I?

If you get WinQuake or GLQuake, Quake looks great (with antialiasing, and model animation smoothing).
And my only problem with Tech3 is the fact that to get stuff out of it, we'd need a REAL team working on this for AWHILE. It would just be a bit too much for us to try to organize it, and also the fact that its hard to map for...Some had the same discussions about a Halo ChexQuest. Tech3 would require a BIG leap from anyone here...

And to all those who I *virtually*...ya could say "yelled" at, sorry...Kinda lost it there...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

INFO:
Editing refrence (tho old...): http://qref.planetquake.gamespy.com/
Source (mainly for TMOB, or whoever can code): ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/q1source.zip

I have Milkshape3d (but gotta relearn it)...

Dvader0086

I think it would be nice too... But you need a team... Now IDK how to do models so ask me... I was just giving you my two cents...

Loremaster

I swear that if this devolves into another flame war, heads will roll on both sides of the argument. Atarian, Replica, Everyone Else: keep it civil.

Y'all been warned.

As for the subject at hand, I must agree with Replica. Go with iD tech 2 or 3. Quake 1 is hideous-looking nowadays.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

Has anyone used GLQuake? I'm not joking, it looks MUCH better. Yes, its not exactly 'hires', but it looks nice and sharp, at least.

The Quake 2 engine would definitely look better, but on the side of complexity, even basic mapping kinda shoots up a steep amount. Tech3, I havent seen or tried to map/mod for, so I'd be going in blind...me and whoever else would like to try.

Original Quake was like this on normal engine/computer:

Quake on GLQuake in a higher res:

GLQuake also uses DynamicLighting, texture and model smoothing, and other methods to smooth out the pixels and enhance the gameplay. (and it works, too)

Quake II, I havent seen many new ports of it...IDK, I havent researched that one enough, but I will and get back to here.

(I'm still pullin for a Quake one, but if Quake II doesn't take that much extra, shootin for that)

Loremaster

It looks a little nicer, but I still think that it looks bad. Go for Quake II.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

I'm trying to get a copy of Quake 2 ATM, and Quake 1 will take some disk recovery before I can get it readable. Quake 2 LOOKS better, but is slightly harder to modify, and will require a good bit more to do. I would like to try a simple quake mod (maybe edited shareware with a small set of models and maybe a map or two), then if we can do that, bump it up a notch. BTW, does anyone have a good model editor? I got Milkshape, but is kinda hard to work...and I wonder if there are any free ones?

I got BSP (editor) today, and need to wait till I get my Quake and Quake 2 files installed before I install it.

The Green Avenger

Well, I stink at modeling, but I use Wings3D for when i want to mess around.  Another good one to try is Blender, but I think it's a bit complicated.  Maybe with the tutorials you can get somewhere.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

maybe...I never could get Wings3D up on my pc...i'll hafta try again. (and blender got me nowhere)

BSP is pretty easy (I used it with Paintball 2 awhile ago), and it'll work. Valve Hammer Editor doesn't support anything but Half Life and the like, so its out...I'll have to scope out some tutorials for it...

Kato

I'm an experienced Blender modeler (working on another fangame) and low-poly models for the Quake engine are well within my scope.

I could also learn BSP mapping, if someone could recommend me a good editor.