Reconsidering the Quake engine

Started by Kato, October 08, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Slimeinator

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Replica

Sliminator, you can't map Quake with doom builder. :P
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

The Slimeinator

Yes you can. You can use your mind. ;D
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Replica

Ok, you can't mod Quake's engine with it.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

TRU! XD (but if that was a subliminal message back to Doom...)

BSP is probably the best map editor. Its simple, and it works. Is quite old, but I have seen a GREAT tutorial on it...
http://www.bspquakeeditor.com/
ah...heres the good tutorials:
http://www.bspquakeeditor.com/tutorials.php

now, I just got Quake installed, but its all hybrid with Win/GLQuake...I guess it'd still work (the dos version is still there...) as the data files arent moved.

Well...another question. Was Quake II models with frames? or models with skeletons? (and I have some ideas for enemy actions and looks, so I'll have to get with Themasterofbattle (my coder) and see if its possible)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Replica

IDK, but you made me really want to play Quake, but I don't have it.  :( :'(

TheMasterOfBattle

Hehe, just know atarian that I haven't fully figured out the code for it yet nor had the time to do so, nor will I for a while, I just had an exam yesterday followed by a quiz, then I have another exam Monday, and Exam Thursday, and another quiz on Friday. ;)

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Atariangamer

oh...XD

Well, replica, there are ways to play the first episode of Quake...its free. Quake 2 has no demo (AFAIK, if you can find one, then yay!).

Well, I got Quake here, as well as Quake 2. And from a playing standpoint, Quake 2's engine is a much better one for those comming from doom (it has the freelook and custom controls).

I'm thinking of how to do this both ways...
Quake 1:
HubMap (IFoC ship, like from CQ3 E3M1)
Episode 1: Bazoik (duh)
Episode 2: Ralston
Episode 3: Flemoid Prime (flemoid dimension)
Episode 4: IFoC ship (clear the ship out!)

Quake 2:
I dont have much info about Quake 2's levels/map system works...I think there are 4 episodes that consist of 9 Units which have around 3 to 5 objectives to complete in each before you can exit the unit. IDK, ish berry weird...

The Green Avenger

Quake 2 has a demo, I've played it.  Don't know where, tho...
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

oh...really?

Well, maybe the goal would be a working Quake 1 demo, then a full Quake 1 mod, then a Quake 2 demo, and then a full Quake 2 mod. (ReAlLy FaR iNtO tHe FuTuRe!)

Just got BSP Quake Editor setup and going, and tried some tutorials. Its kinda...odd, but the principles are basic, and shouldn't be that hard to figure out. The basic material is a "brush", which is a 6 sided prism in space. You can draw a big brush and convert it into a room, or you can draw 6 brushes that make an enclosed space. You set the brush to a texture, and some textures give off light automatically, others require you to set them to give off light. I havent gotten to doors or advanced stuff yet, just how to draw a room, how to clip brushes with a plane, and how to make a few entities (not sure what all of them do, atm). I'm trying to complete the tutorials to get into the bigger stuff (which will be necessary to make a good level), but I just slipped up, and killed the set of them :( But thankfully, they have the lesson maps for download, so I just gotta reget lesson 1 and 2...then finish 3 and go on to 4.

Josh

Atariangamer

Thnx! Thats a good thing to have, so everyone look at the demos and say which is better to get! XD

UPDATE: My mapping skills are progressing...I can make rooms, make lights, make windows to the sky, and simple doors, as well as monster entities. I'd post a picture, but its nothing special, a small room with lamp posts and a skylight with a door going into a bigger room with glow pannels...but its cool, and its awesome to look at. I do agree with loremaster...this should be the engine.

After I learn a few more things, I'm going to start on a Chex Quest level. I was sketching out a few ideas in class today, and got one that I'd like to run with.

You're in a hanger, and there is a big hole in the ceiling, plus some fallen beams and the remains of your crashed ship. you walk over to the 'normal' door, but its been made inaccessable by a beam. You do a 180, and there is another door. you open it to the first enemy. behind that, another enemy, plus a rapid firing gun. there is a hole in the floor with a ladder. you climb down it and get in a sewer pipe. no enemies here. you come to a dead end and another ladder. climb it and you get into another pipe access, with a door to the 'IFoC' room. a few enemies here, plus some health, justincase. you go one way to a giant hanger with a small lab attatched to it. behind some bars is another section, with a switch to the doors. you go to the next area, a huge storage hanger, with the bridge across out. backup a few paces, and another pipe access. go down it and climb into the storage basement level via drain. good few enemies here. climb the levels and extend the bridge. go back to the broken place and cross the new bridge into the labs where the switches are. hit the main access and go back to the other lab where an open door leads to a teleporter test area. few enemies here. fight to the teleporter and hit the switch to send to the next level.

...not too ambitious, just in need of a FEW more techniques...okay, maybe ALOT more XD

Nomekop

The Source engine is free.

At least the SDK is.

The Green Avenger

The SDK is only free to people owning a Source engine game.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

Well, HL2DM is a Source engine game, and its free if you have an ATI or nVidia card. I think it said somewhere that the ATI offer is missing the Source SDK, though.