Reconsidering the Quake engine

Started by Kato, October 08, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

I would like to use Source, but being as that is >< to map for (I tried, its kinda weird), I'm probably going with Quake2 for now...

I already have a pretty nice map going, but VERY complex, and will TOTALLY be noobish in its design...I have one design drawn out on paper, and most of it comming together on screen...i'd say i'm about 20% done...then I gotta figure out how to get y'all a video, cuz there's no way I can build a Quake2 data pack AND custom engine...I just cant do that. And also, it is in Quake textures till I get around to reviving my tools and looking at some texture wads
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xrror

Before writing it off completely, might want to take a look at some Quake 1 source ports...
DarkPlaces is pretty nice:

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

check out the screen shots, it's not just for Quake1 anymore  ;)

Atariangamer

Wait, this can run Quake 2?

Also, did ya see the FPS on that thing? 20 from First person, 13 from third, and 9 when viewing a large room!

also, that thing said 900mbs for the textures...what.

I'd like something just as good looking, but a bit smaller...

xrror

DarkPlaces pretty much can be as "Heavy" or "Light" as you want it to be system wise. It's hard to explain. I really wish LordHavok had more info on his page about it.
Basically it's just a highly extended quake1 engine. For example, you can use Quake3 shaders in darkplaces maps. Or, you can just stick with the basics and make a normal quake1 map.

So while you can't run Quake2 per say, you can basically use features from quake2 maps in darkplaces. Does that makes any sense? Ironically, I think you can load quake3 maps verbatim, though obviously items and textures need to be included.

It's been a long time since I've done Quake 1 mapping, so my info is pretty shaky.

For performance, yes you can totally flog your framerate if you turn every graphic option on the menus (full dynamic lighting is pretty fun one, woe be your vid card). But if you really are starving for frames then you can reduce it down to GLQuake level.

Unfortunately I just realized that DarkPlaces inherently does not support software rendering - that is probably a deal breaker for a lot of people. Probably not going to run on Intel integrated graphics...

edit:
remembered you mentioned looking for Quake 2 source ports. I haven't tried these myself, but they were recommended (probably since they're some of the few still active).
http://www.quake2evolved.com/files.htm
http://quake2xp.quakedev.com/

Atariangamer

At least I got another on a level close...

Here's the main bit. Q1 is more Doom-ish with its levels and episode progression. I like this as there really is not a true story (even though my original idea was a story based Quake mod), and the levels can flow easier. Quake 2's mission system isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it has better compatibility. HOWEVER, if these Quake 2 ports can run the data files W/O using a CD, you may just have helped me a good bit. (Datra, the resident modeler, is trying to help some, but the current process of me transfering the data to him and running it is involved and complex...this could REALLY help)

I'd like to use Q1 IF it had a few more features...but if that DarkPlaces cant even do SOFTWARE OpenGL, *I"M* dead, as I have intel integrated (SUX).

If we have any free engines that are relatively easy to use and mod, and can have some sort of a story line (a la Half-Life), let me know as well...I'm a good story writer and thinker, not much of an artist or mapper ><

(BTW, thanks for some of this)

Replica

Hello Xrror! Welcome to the forum! Can I suggest intoducing yourself in the introduction section?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

lol, I totally forgot to say hi XD

Also, those ports look awesome, but DANG! The simplest one (Q2XP) almost crashed my PC, and thats no good...and its not because its a virus, just that i got horrible computer specs ><

I got a coder that might could help...IDK, hes gotta finish midterms before he can concentrate on it...

TheMasterOfBattle

hehe, that would still be me.  And yes I have midterms before I can try to immerse myself in the code if need be, but I can't do much else except try to help with the code. :-\

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

xrror

Quote from: Atariangamer on November 20, 2008, 12:38:04 AM
...but if that DarkPlaces cant even do SOFTWARE OpenGL
I'm sure DarkPlaces would happily send it's OpenGL output to a software based OpenGL renderer... now if only that S3 ViRGE OGL wrapper was finished  :P (I kid)

Quote from: Atariangamer on November 20, 2008, 02:11:09 AM
Also, those ports look awesome, but DANG!
Yea I just went looking at those after I posted them... I think I heard an Intel GMA explode somewhere...  :D

I keep digging around, and finding some interesting stuff - I'm actually surprised to find people still actively tinkering with Quake 1 engine stuff in 2008. I'll know the end times are here when I suddenly stumble onto a lively Hexen II source port.

For instance - hope this person keeps going onward with his "experiments" with running Half Life maps in Quake 1 engines:
http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3997

What got my attention was that he was using Half Life editing tools to make "Quake" maps this way. He also mentioned having already having whipped up a "converter" to use WorldCraft 3.3 for Quake 1 maps directly... who's your daddy now GoldSRC? (literally!)

But again these ports are not seeming software renderer friendly. That squealing noise you hearing right now is coming from your motherboard ;D

I'm going to stop spamming out stuff on here, cause it seems that I need to start researching what's out there nowadays and get caught up some! Seems to be quite a bit of nifty development going on, kinda exciting again isn't it?

Atariangamer

LOL @ Xploding Intel

That HL maps in Quake looks awesome...hmm...I'll have to pull out my Q1 paks and try these engines before I turn em down.

And you're not really spamming...as long as you dont bump, double post, or do something bad, its ok!

Also, I'm kinda at a loss ATM...no matter what I do to this map I made (Q2), the lights are dead, even though I touched nothing, just rerendered it in final quality...>< now none of the renders work.

ChexCommander

I dunno how we'd get CQ on Quake, but if we could, it'd PWN pretty bad, lol...just make the system requirements are very light, not everyone can handle all the stuff, though I do have dedicated graphics now, luckily...
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

>< doggone integrated sux...almost bluescreened on Q2XP...><

What I would like to do is just a simple rehash of Chex Quest E1M1 with some of the cool Quake features in DarkPlaces. If we could do that, it would pwn, mostly because of the awesome light rendering (Saw some of the HL BSPs run through it...SO MUCH MORE REAL). So, in general, just slightly enhancing it. If we get good at that, then we can start redoing other levels, and even make new ones...

ChexCommander

Yes, that'd be nice, but I wish we could do that with DooM, so we can finish up TUCQ Phase 2...

Atariangamer

This is not going to be TUCQ, exactly...no, it wont be TUCQ at all. Boingo's is just a bit more detailed than I could get mine...

ChexCommander

I realize that.  A Quake CQ would be nice too, but we'd need an engine, right?