Author Topic: Chaos on Flemoid Prime General Discussion  (Read 34430 times)

Offline The Green Avenger

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
Re: Chaos on Flemoid Prime General Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »
Yeah, I can relate.  Luckily for me, I can't relate because of talking Chex Quest.  Basically my entire family is familiar with the terminology of Chex Quest, if for no other reason than that my obsession with it forces them to be.

In other news, I just turned out a bit of script that passes all of my others for difficulty (difficulty in writing, as in), and it worked on the first run through!  I've also figured out how to make it look smooth if you skip a section of the cutscene.  All it took was the addition of a variable and the shuffling of a few lines of script.  Okay, it also took like four additional lines of script, but, hey!  Who's counting? 
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »
Uh, apparently you...lol

So, you are putting in xbolt's cutscene skipper? or is this incase I start from level 2 instead of 1?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
Yes, I will be using a slightly modified version of XBolt's cutscene skipper.  I really wanted the skipper for his levels in the first place, so it stands to reason that, if i didn't add the skipper, people might be slightly peeved at me.

Most of the methods I'll be using in my cutscenes were appropriated from XBolt's methods.  No, this doesn't mean that the cutscenes will be the same, it means that behind the scenes, the scripts will look very similar.  No, I don't copy/paste my scripts out of XBolt's levels, I just learned how to make fragglescript cutscenes by 'studying at the feet of the master.'  I opened Newmaps in DooM Builder, and looked over the scripts.  You can ask XBolt, he can tell you that I go to him if I can't figure something out.  Luckily, I've had less of these occurrences of late.

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »
Lol, I did that too...but I eventually ended up with some copypasta from xbolt's scripts when I tried...

Tis why I don't release many maps...to do things I want, I need code...to get code, I gotta steal...but its a bad thing...

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
There are two other things I noted today.

First, as has already been mentioned, some of the dialogue shot by too fast, but I presume that this is being looked over,

Second, I was on E1M3, and from the beginning, I went into the left room, where the three-ball Cycloptis and the x-shaped walkway above are. There are two Bipedici with the same map position there, discounting height. One was on the floor, and the other was on the walkway. Neither will do anything until you zorch the other away. I imagine that this is caused by trying to place two Flemoids on the same position, but at different altitudes.

Also, Chaos on Flemoid Prime seems to have quite a different setting than from the old one I remember. What's changed with the storyline and the setting?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »
Yes, the dialogue will be changed.  If I miss any, I'm counting on you to find it and tell me where it is...  :D

Actually, I had not noticed the problem with the two Bipedici.  I did have the same problem before, so I should have known better, but I will fix this before the next full release.

The setting?  Well, at first, I was going to show the flemoids as having little to no technology, but after a while of messing around, I decided that the flemoids would have technology, if not of their own, than because of a plot element that will be shown later, probably version 0.2 or something of the like.  Also, I changed it from just teleporting into a random place and fighting for no reason, to having to fight through a flemoid space station because of the inadequacy of the power of the teleporter to get you from your starting point to your destination, due to the heavy interference from the flemoid teleporter.  The storyline has been revised since the first few releases, but I'm pretty sure that the first post has an updated version of the storyline.  I'll check on that here in a moment.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
I actually was just able to finish the training level (that water pump area was too hard! :D ). I did note some texture problems in perhaps that level and some others, but all I can do now is blame the Legacy texture bug on that until I have reason to think otherwise.

Another thing is that after I won the training level, I got the "I'm so dead" message at the end. When I was given the completion screen, went through the info, and got the current episode 2 completion screen from TUCQ, I decided to reload the level from where I last saved (which was just a door behind the exit room), and now, every time I do so, I get the usual, but deadly "signal_handler() : segment violation" error message. Is this just a result of messing with the scripting by saving and loading?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's caused by the scripts.  Saving in such a heavily scripted level is dangerous.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »
TRUE DAT! Never, Ever save in IJ3...U will die.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
One other question.

I noticed that E1M4 and E1M5 (I think) were preserved from the older release. Are there any plans to bring the other levels back in some incarnation?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
Maybe, maybe not.  There would have to be major changes to them to make them work with the other levels, so they would likely end up looking very little like they had before.  I never told anyone, but E1M1 was my absolute first level ever that did not consist of several rooms filled with items to see what they were.  I was a very green rookie when I started out.  I think I'm finally getting somewhere in my mapping.  I feel really good about the new levels, which is more than I can say for E1M1.  It is much more likely, then, that I will resurrect E1M2 than the possibility of putting E1M1 back in.

As for the other two, E1M4 and E1M5 as they are now, they will be receiving some more edits to fix things up.  Especially E1M5, in the reactor room, was totally messed up.  I'll probably be redoing it entirely.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »
Speaking of the reactor room, I don't know if it's a bug brought on by the Legacy texture bug or not (which is why I didn't bring it up before), but when I backtracked in the reactor room, there was a texture glitch where the entrance door to the room never really opened, but you can walk through it anyway after you press spacebar or whatever. The door looks normal on the other side.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
That's one of the reasons I need to redo it.  It's just messed up.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
Yeah. "Dirty mapping", is it? Isn't that one of your older levels?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
One of the oldest.  I'll fix 'er up and get her ready before I go to version 0.15.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting