Where to download Chex Quest

Started by Shaq Fu, October 19, 2008, 06:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaq Fu

Hi guys, I've been a fan of Chex Quest for a while now but I haven't been able to fully experience it's complete Chexxy goodness. I've tried the Ultimate Chex Quest which only has 2 out of 4 episodes done and only works half of the time and I've tried Chex Quest 95 which I'm pretty sure works but I haven't figured out how to access anything past episode 1. Basically I just need to know where I can get a complete and working version of Chex Quest (best game after Shaq Fu and Big Rigs Over The Road Racing etc). I'm not really sure what source port for Doom is the best but I use zDaemon so I'd prefer if it worked with that but I'd be willing to change if it means I can experience the most accurate version of Chex Quest. Also I suppose it'd be important to ask for the links to Chex Quest 2 and 3 for future reference. And by the way I'm using Vista in case that matters. Thanks in advance fellow Chexxers!

EDIT BY MANNY: I'm commandeering this here first post to post links to where Chex Quest in it's various forms can be downloaded.

Chex Quest 3 *RECOMMENDED VERSION FOR REGULAR PLAY--INCLUDES ALL THREE GAMES, UPDATED WITH A ZDOOM-BASED ENGINE*
Chex Quest (compact)
Chex Quest (full CD)
Chex Quest 2

The Green Avenger

Vista doesn't matter.  The thing with the Ultimate Chex Quest is that it currently only run with Doom Legacy.  It is supposed to be ported to GZDooM sometime soon, but it only really works right in Legacy for now.  As for not being able to access other episode, the original Chex Quest only had 5 levels in one episode.  There aren't really any other levels.  As for Chex Quest 2 and 3, Chex Quest 2 is the second episode of TUCQ.  Chex Quest 3 is new, but it contains all three Chex Quests.  It is mot likely the best thing to get, as it also features many improvements over the originals.  For CQ3, it actually comes with it's own engine, so no need to run it through anything.  Here the link to the topic where you can download it: http://chexquest.org/index.php?topic=918.0
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

arch129

Chex Quest 3 is the best for a nostalgic Chex Quest experience. ^^

By the way whats with the...
Quote from: Shaq Fu on October 19, 2008, 06:09:30 PM
(best game after Shaq Fu and Big Rigs Over The Road Racing etc)

From what I heard those games are not good. :P

Shaq Fu

You should try them, they're quite WINNER! ^

I didn't think Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2 would be so short. I'll try getting CQ3 since I've had a few significant problems in TUCQ, most notably that I can't get past the Arboretum and the common crashing on startup.

Forgot to ask, but how is the multiplayer, is the coop easy to set up? Is the zorchmatch decent or would it be more fun to play with CQ weapons on Doom DM maps if that's even possible.

Atariangamer

OFF: Shaq Fu...brings silent facepalm. But anyway, Welcome to the CQFF!

ON:
CQ3 uses a custom built ZDooM engine, and contains all 3 episodes of CQ (Charles Jacobi, the game artist, came back with his finale on the trilogy), and makes it playable in modern PCs.

Multiplayer...upon the release, we tried a Co-op server...it doesn't work very well in Skulltag (our main multiplayer port), and has a few Doom glitches. I think the latest version is compatible, tho. ZDaemon isn't all that great, anymore...I tried it for awhile, its not that good. Skulltag keeps GZDooM AND ZDooM compatible, so if it works on GZDooM, it'll work online. its hard to setup, tho, but a LAN server is pretty easy...go to the Multiplayer Subforum if you have questions.

And to keep it straight...CQ in DooM, or DooM in CQ is NO GOOD. Keep to one or the other, works better XD
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

Quote from: arch129 on October 19, 2008, 06:41:31 PM
From what I heard those games are not good. :P

I heard that they're in the 'so bad, it's good' category.

I mean, who can't love winnering?

Shaq Fu

I finished Chex Quest 1 and 2 on the Chex Quest 3 and I must say this is probably the ideal version for me. Thanks guys.

Atariangamer

Ideal...its the most complete version yet! XD

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on October 20, 2008, 12:39:02 AM
(Charles Jacobi, the game artist, came back with his finale on the trilogy)
Quote from: Atariangamer on October 17, 2008, 09:48:51 AM
Replica's right, Chuck never said this was the end...plus, with all the fan projects people have made, it'll NEVER be the end...
WUT? ;D

Also, Chex Quest 3 is definitely the best version. It contains the original games, spiced up some, and a whole 'nother game in itself, wrapped in an engine that actually works on Vista with customizable controls and a whole bunch of other do-dads. The original games really only exist for nostalgia and technical reasons at this point, not for serious play. I would be surprised if I learned that chex.exe even worked on Vista. DOS programs like that haven't worked on Vista from my experience. TUCQ is another good option, but it isn't quite complete, and it had a few bruises in it that aren't quite healed yet.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Dvader0086

Hmmm... CQ 3? I haven't played it all and it was partially stolen... I tought it was very stupid... Had no story...

Or you mean Chukkers?

If you don then I have not beaten it yet... It's cool, just hard as I am not a good doom player... I keep getting killed...

Atariangamer

CQ3, released a good few years ago, was stolen...Manny Cav has a list compiled of the WAD's contents and sources all neat and tidy for ya in the CQ3: Revolution forum. We're talking the OFFICIAL CQ3.

Manny Cav

Chex Quest 3 with no other title should now be understood to mean the official Chex Quest 3 by Chukker. The other one can be called "the stolen Chex Quest 3," "Chex Quest 3 stolen," or some other title to differentiate it from Chex Quest 3.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Shaq Fu, eh?  NEver heard of it.

And for multiplayer, read my forum!
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Richie

I think this topic is worthy of a pin!  It contains a lot of helpful information!  :)

Manny Cav's website, the Chex Quest Gallery, has everything you might need and more.  I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it yet!  :D

Batmanifestdestiny

OFF TOPIC:ah, shaq fu.... fun game, I still have the Sega Genesis cartridge...

ON TOPIC:check back in to the chex quest 3 topic regularly, as it is still occasionally updated to fix bugs and graphical errors ;)

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!