Where to download Chex Quest

Started by Shaq Fu, October 19, 2008, 06:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorched!

Ok, I used to play Chex Quest all the time. However, its been quite a few years now and I'd like to start again. I have the disk to install the game and everything runs fine except for the sound effects. What is wrong? I'm running Windows XP, the movies run fine, but when I get into the game, nothing seems to sound right or work at all. Is there a driver I should download or something. Is it because its such an old game or what? Please help.

The Slimeinator

Well, on XP the original Chex Quest was pretty buggy, such as whenever doors opened on my computer the game seriously lagged. The noise was funky too. I would recommend using a modern sourceport that has Chex Quest Support, called GZdoom. http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/ Go into your Chex Quest folder, copy chex.wad, and paste it into an unzipped archive of GZdoom. Then double-click the GZdoom.exe.

Welcome, by the way.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

If you're on XP, then there's a high chance that you will not be able to use sound effects without serious lag, and even then, it will run slower than normal. Honestly, just download and play the Chex Quest 3 compilation. ;)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Hey...didn't see this or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making that guide! (and forgetting the CQ3 thing ><)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Quote from: The Slimeinator on January 21, 2009, 01:55:32 AM
Well, on XP the original Chex Quest was pretty buggy, such as whenever doors opened on my computer the game seriously lagged. The noise was funky too. I would recommend using a modern sourceport that has Chex Quest Support, called GZdoom. http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/ Go into your Chex Quest folder, copy chex.wad, and paste it into an unzipped archive of GZdoom. Then double-click the GZdoom.exe.

Welcome, by the way.
I think it's a little easier if you just use CQ3.  ;)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

The Slimeinator

Quote from: ChexCommander on January 22, 2009, 08:40:15 PM

Welcome, by the way.

But GZdoom is better, and has CQ 3 support. :)

Manny Cav

Well, bust my buttons! You're right! They even made the Chex Quest cheat codes work for Chex Quest 3 (though they also carried over the error that swapped the scottholman and mikekoenigs cheats)!
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Quote from: The Slimeinator on January 23, 2009, 12:57:15 AM
Quote from: ChexCommander on January 22, 2009, 08:40:15 PM

Welcome, by the way.

But GZdoom is better, and has CQ 3 support. :)
Really!  Epic win!

The Slimeinator

You guys didn't know that? Oh well.

Manny Cav

He'll still have to download CQ3 to get the WAD for it, but it's nice to know that there are other engine options out there.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Quote from: Manny Cav on October 20, 2008, 09:26:25 PM
Quote from: Atariangamer on October 20, 2008, 12:39:02 AM
(Charles Jacobi, the game artist, came back with his finale on the trilogy)
Quote from: Atariangamer on October 17, 2008, 09:48:51 AM
Replica's right, Chuck never said this was the end...plus, with all the fan projects people have made, it'll NEVER be the end...
WUT? ;D

Also, Chex Quest 3 is definitely the best version. It contains the original games, spiced up some, and a whole 'nother game in itself, wrapped in an engine that actually works on Vista with customizable controls and a whole bunch of other do-dads. The original games really only exist for nostalgia and technical reasons at this point, not for serious play. I would be surprised if I learned that chex.exe even worked on Vista. DOS programs like that haven't worked on Vista from my experience. TUCQ is another good option, but it isn't quite complete, and it had a few bruises in it that aren't quite healed yet.

Chex quest is not now and never has been a dos program. It's a 16-bit windows program. Try and run the original CQ in dos box, it won't work.

CQ3 is definitely the way to go
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on January 24, 2009, 02:53:46 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav on October 20, 2008, 09:26:25 PM
Quote from: Atariangamer on October 20, 2008, 12:39:02 AM
(Charles Jacobi, the game artist, came back with his finale on the trilogy)
Quote from: Atariangamer on October 17, 2008, 09:48:51 AM
Replica's right, Chuck never said this was the end...plus, with all the fan projects people have made, it'll NEVER be the end...
WUT? ;D

Also, Chex Quest 3 is definitely the best version. It contains the original games, spiced up some, and a whole 'nother game in itself, wrapped in an engine that actually works on Vista with customizable controls and a whole bunch of other do-dads. The original games really only exist for nostalgia and technical reasons at this point, not for serious play. I would be surprised if I learned that chex.exe even worked on Vista. DOS programs like that haven't worked on Vista from my experience. TUCQ is another good option, but it isn't quite complete, and it had a few bruises in it that aren't quite healed yet.

Chex quest is not now and never has been a dos program. It's a 16-bit windows program. Try and run the original CQ in dos box, it won't work.

CQ3 is definitely the way to go
Must...resist....fail....

Wrong.  Run CQ in DosBox, and it WILL work.  You prolly tried executing it using the chex.exe file.  Wrong.  You have to run chex.bat in order to get it to work.  It uses a MS-Dos Batch file.

If you've ever played the original CQ (which actually works in Win 98), you might have noticed the MS-DOS screen that comes up to launch the program.

Atariangamer

CQ works in DOS perfectly, somewhat in 3.1x, and nicely in 9x. after we moved into Windows 5, DOS changed versions and became very background. The Command Prompt is NOT a DOS prompt by ANY means. Due to the lack of native DOS support, Chex Quest runs very badly.

CQ3 should work on 9x up, depending on your graphics setup.

ALSO, chex.exe is a 16-bit program. in those days it really wasn't a DOS/WIN type thing. Once 32-bit came in, it started getting to a DOS/WIN thing. I have a 16-bit version of M$Office (called Office 4), and the 32-bit version was Office 95. you could run several 16-bit programs both ways, though certian ones could only go Windows. In 32-bit programs, it was just only windows.

yeah that was probably it, I wasn't looking for BATs. I was trying to install it from the cd, I must not have looked well enough
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem