Where to download Chex Quest

Started by Shaq Fu, October 19, 2008, 06:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

the CD should still work tho...hmm...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

It should work in terms of installation...

I think he meant he was trying to install from DOSBox maybe?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

AH. There's your problem.

Install normaly, then direct DOSBox to C:\CHEX to play.

Aroenai

Quote from: Atariangamer on January 25, 2009, 04:03:45 PM
ALSO, chex.exe is a 16-bit program. in those days it really wasn't a DOS/WIN type thing. Once 32-bit came in, it started getting to a DOS/WIN thing. I have a 16-bit version of M$Office (called Office 4), and the 32-bit version was Office 95. you could run several 16-bit programs both ways, though certain ones could only go Windows. In 32-bit programs, it was just only windows.

No, chex.exe is a MS-DOS program that has an embedded DOS/4GW (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/4GW) loader. The DOS/4GW loader is a 16-bit program that switches the processor into protected mode (32-bit) and loads the program into memory to begin execution, essentially it adds 32-bit capabilities to DOS. You can actually replace DOS/4GW with a newer loader called DOS/32 (http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html) if you wanted, and it makes the game run a little better in Dosbox.

As far as I know, DOS/4GW came before 32-bit versions of Windows and the original Doom used it as well. Sorry, the computer networking major in me wanted to clear that up. ;D

Atariangamer

O_o ok...

I knew about DOS/4GW, but how did you know it was embeded? (did i miss somethin?)

and DOS/4GW came before 32bit windows, yes. But I dont know if DooM used it. Doom had problems running in Win95 in some cases (hence the Doom 2 for Windows 95 package), so I dont think it had a dos loader like that.

TheMasterOfBattle

Wow, I just looked at the board stats, and the Chex Quest is available for download thread has almost 22 thousand views. :o  It would have the most views on the forum if it weren't for The "EVIL" Game.

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

ChexCommander

Quote from: TheMasterOfBattle on February 02, 2009, 06:57:02 PM
Wow, I just looked at the board stats, and the Chex Quest is available for download thread has almost 22 thousand views. :o  It would have the most views on the forum if it weren't for The "EVIL" Game.
Curse you, Dvader!!!!

:D

Aroenai

Quote from: Atariangamer on February 02, 2009, 10:32:05 AM
I knew about DOS/4GW, but how did you know it was embeded? (did i miss somethin?)

and DOS/4GW came before 32bit windows, yes. But I dont know if DooM used it. Doom had problems running in Win95 in some cases (hence the Doom 2 for Windows 95 package), so I dont think it had a dos loader like that.

You can see the DOS/4GW text when you load the game, also DOS/32's installer identifies it as DOS/4GW (run sb -r chex.exe).

EDIT:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II
v1.1

* Released December 16, 1993.
    * The first registered release of Doom.
    * First appearance of gamma correction, which is either on or off.
    * A more stable version of the DOS extender (DOS/4GW).
    * Sound Blaster 1.0 support.
    * Textual changes:

* At the text screen of Knee-Deep in the Dead "buy" is changed to "play" in the final sentence.
        * The "This version is NOT SHAREWARE, do not distribute!" text was added, to be shown with the registered version.
        * Many more, including capitalization, spelling corrections and additional error messages.

* Serial mode multiplayer was added.
    * The command line parameters -send and -receive were added.

ChexCommander

@'MOB: I don't see 22 thousand.....the shot in the arm has about 1100 more posts, and it has 3 thousand...you might have looked at the thread wrong?

TheMasterOfBattle

Quote from: ChexCommander on February 03, 2009, 10:10:44 PM
@'MOB: I don't see 22 thousand.....the shot in the arm has about 1100 more posts, and it has 3 thousand...you might have looked at the thread wrong?

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

The Slimeinator

He means Chex Quest 3 is Available for Download, which is basically... not gellin' to the tune of this thread.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

ChexCommander

Oh, there...heh.

Quote from: The Slimeinator on February 04, 2009, 12:18:47 AM

He means Chex Quest 3 is Available for Download, which is basically... not gellin' to the tune of this thread.
Well, that's what it was gellin' to before Chukker uploaded Ben(s)on's musicz into da game.  ;)

Manny Cav

I'm bumping this topic with updates to the first post, listing where you can download the various versions of Chex Quest.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010