Chex Quest + Wii - Would it be possible??

Started by QuadrumpusGuy, October 26, 2008, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadrumpusGuy

With the Wii Keyboard they will be coming out with soon, I guess it could work with controls, but transferring from PC To Wii?? I've been wondering about this for a while...

Atariangamer

Hmm, I shall go into some grey...

Homebrew via the Twilight hack on wii. There is a Doom port that suports addons, so it might work...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

QuadrumpusGuy

That might do the trick, or just upload and convert it on a CD and make it playable for the Wii. I know Chex Quest works on the Nintendo DS.

Atariangamer

CD is a nogo...I describe the method of doom homebrew...

1. Get a copy of Zelda Twilight Princess and play it a good ways through.
2. Get a SD card...preferably 1gig, as some other sizes have issues...
3. go to the WiiBrew wiki and get the save file...instrux are on the site
4. grab the Homebrew Channel file, and follow its instrux.
5. Load the game and install the homebrew channel.
6. On the Wiibrew wiki, there is a site on the doom port...get it and follow instrux.

...lemme just link ya to the wiki...all instrux there:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
Also, if you got up to 3.3 of the Wii firmware, I suggest ya just hold on...they dont know how it goes.

QuadrumpusGuy

Atariangamer

OK! We got a slight...change. I was wondering why the wiki was slow, that was because they were taking it apart. Its now on a homebrew ring. So, if you'd like, I can get you some of the things you'd need (I downloaded all but the October 23 patch, which kills all homebrew when downloaded normaly)

UPDATE: HOLD ON THERE! This can seriously damage your wii. So...if you feel ok about opening it to being a brick, go ahead. Basically, if you dont do it right, or update it wrong, it will stop working in certian areas. There are discs being made that can undo this, and also recovery chips being made for the GC Memcard slot to help certian cases...but I say beware. If you dont have yours on internet, and haven't updated in awhile, go ahead and try. Else...continue to your own risk.

Manny Cav

R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Well, not really, but there have been several updates that speciffically (tho indirectly) talk about the methods used to get homebrew up and running...

plus, a system restore or a deletion of the channel, and its back to a normal wii...

UPDATE: Guys, cross fingers...I'm gonna try tonite, and if Wii perish...wii perish...

QuadrumpusGuy

Hey, i'm back. My computer was "infected" by Antispyware XP 2009... had to get rid of tht, but here i am. Did the Experiment Work?? I don't know if i would be up to tht now that i think about possible consequences...

Atariangamer

Yeah, I went through with no trouble!

only trouble is the fact that its PRBoom...a blech old port.
otherwise, I've had no ill effects, so we're good. If you've been connected to internet and have updated recently tho...the Wii wont work...

Batmanifestdestiny

ok, here's what you should do:

1. Download a wii emulator (for homebrew it's legal.)
2. Get a .wii(I think it is) compatible C++ IDE
3. Get source of CQ capable doom port
4. Change the code to auto-run cq3.wad
5. Compile it
6. Test it in wii emulator
IF IT WORKS:
7. Encrypt it to run on a cd in wii (it's possible)
8. Burn contents of encrypted files onto CD
9. pop cd into wii
10. play

don't forget to change the controls to run with a wiimote/nunchuk

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

Ahem...*steps up to the mic* I ARE NOT TEH CODEZORZ.

Plus, that way requires modchips and such...not so cool...who wants to void their warranty?

The best way to do it is to find the dependencies and hardware of the Wii, port GZDooM to it (best overall, no kidding), compile to .DOL, and run it via homebrew channel (which is the most direct, safe path).

I'm REALLY not sure how to make the programs, but I sure can give you a guide on how to run em...

1. Get a Zelda: Twilight princess disk
2. play it once, and save it
3. take the disk out, and look at it.
4. open the Twilight hack archive and select the save for your region (as noted by the disk)
-: THIS REQUIRES AN SD CARD. Besure its not SDHC. then place the HBC boot.dol in the root
5. copy the hack data over your existing save.
6. run the game, and load the save as directed by the twilight hack
7. do the hack, and then install the channel. (ONLY WORKS WITH SYSTEM MENU 3.3 AND W/O OCT. 23 UPDATES)
-: AKA, if you have system menu 3.4 and updated your wii recently, you cant do this and should STOP NOW. you can
-: brick your wii, rendering it useless. there is always a risk with this, but if the newly announced BootMii code is released
-: and working, you can brick proof your Wii...basically.
8. Reset the console, and then take the sd card out.
9. in an 'apps' folder, put the data for the wii doom program. follow instrux on how to.
10. load the homebrew channel from the system menu, and select the app from the list.
-------------------------
FOR CHEX QUEST:
place the extra files needed in the data folder, and edit the configs to auto load chex.wad and chex.deh (me and tga have one, we just gotta dig it up). when you load it up, it should have CQ playing.
BOO TO WII: No general midi support...if anyone makes a new port, they should include some form of soft synth, or OPL emulation...SOMETHING.

QuadrumpusGuy

Atariangamer

everything but the CQ part...shouldn't be that hard, I just gotta get at that...

however...like i said, if you have updated recently, DONT DO IT. You are just signing the contract to give up your wii to death.

Mine is fine, so far...no problems, just awesomeness...doesn't affect normal operation, as well.

Dvader0086

I have a friend who has CQ on the Wii... he uses this program from this video:

his current configuration is amazing... makes it really easy...