Common and Genus names for CQ-related species

Started by Zorchdude, October 27, 2008, 05:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorchdude

Quote from: Manny Cav on October 26, 2008, 04:10:53 PM
Killing off the Flemoids wouldn't end Chex Quest by any means. There are more plots and devices we could figure out, such as fighting anamorphic junk food. (props to whoever can figure out what I just referenced)

EDIT: And, to set the record straight on the Flemoids' names, I am revealing a conversation between me and Chukker to clarify this once and for all. I didn't post it before mainly to a sin known as procrastination.

Quote from: Chukker on September 29, 2008, 11:07:51 PM
I am pretty positive we always called the demon replacement "Cycloptis", though I do see your point about the naming. There is probably a disparity between the work DC did and the work which another company did on the website and any printed materials. That was handled by completely different people who didn't do much inter communication with our company.

We always named the Quadrumpus with an "m", but this is another case where disparities between the two companies' work appeared.

As for the new cacodemon, to me he is the Super Cycloptis. I would think that should be its common name, but he could still be of the genus Flemoidus Cycloptis Ultricus. Likewise other flemoids like the Flembrane could have genuses for them as well if people want to get creative. That is what the IFC scientists might call him.

Quote from: Manny Cav on September 29, 2008, 10:16:13 PM
I have a few more issues I'd like to run over with you, if you don't mind.

There are a few discrepancies in the names of some of the Flemoids. First, in the Windows 3.1 menu for Chex Quest, the "Pinky" replacement is called the Cycloptis. However, in some of the scanned photos of www.chexquest.com, the Pinky replacement is called the Cycloptus. This name actually makes more sense, since the other Flemoids' names are like Bipedicus, Commonus, Stridicus etc. Which name is correct? Cycloptis or Cycloptus?

Second, in the previously posted pictures, Quadrupus is practically the only name given for the Chex Quest 2 Imp replacement. However, the name Quadrumpus has gotten to be quite common in Chex Quest lingo. That likely came about because someone said Quadrumpus, and everyone else followed the introduced error. Which name is correct there? Quadrupus or Quadrumpus?

Third, what's the official name of the cacodemon replacement? Your files and Chex Quest 3 say only Super Cycloptis, but several die-hards here are adhering to the made-up name "Flemoidus Cycloptis Ultricus" that came about as a result of some not accepting the already given name of Super Cycloptis. The issue has resurfaced now that your mod uses Super Cycloptis exclusively. So, what's the cacodemon's replacement's name?
Chukker says we can name the Flembrane and Lord Snotfolus' genuses (sp?).
However, with the introduction of the common name 'Super Cyclopitis', what would be the common names of the Flemoids?
So, in order to fill in both sides, I've made a list.
Then I realised, why not do with all species, Flemoid and not! If you feel there's something not covered on this list of ideas/facts, just give me your info and I'll put it up here! If it conflicts with something, however, there will be a discussion to determine what it should be.

Italics = (Almost) Final
Bold with question mark on end = TBD (To be discussed, in this very topic! Urgent need.)
Ordinary with question mark on end = TBD (To be discussed, in this very topic! Sounds okay enough, not urgent.)
/ = Both ideas sound okay

Flemoids:
(Species as whole) Flemoids = Genus Flemoidus
(Common flemoid) Commonus/Common Flemoid? = Flemoidus Commonus
(Bipedal flemoid) Bipedicus/Bipedal Flemoid? = Flemoidus Bipedicus
(Bipedal flemoid with armour) Armored Bipedicus = Flemoidus Bipedicus with armor
(Cyclops flemoid) Cyclopitis/Cyclops Flemoid? = Flemoidus Cyclopitis
(Larva flemoid) Larva = Flemoidus Teneris (Comes from Tener, Latin for Young)
(Quad flemoid) Quadrumpus/Quad Flemoid? = Flemoidus Quadrumpus
(Cyclops with armour) Super Cyclopitis = Flemoidus Cyclopitis Ultricus
(Mine flemoid) Flem Mine = Flemoidus Minumis? (Comes from Praemium, Latin for Explode)
(Striding flemoid) Stridicus/Striding Flemoid? = Flemoidus Stridicus
(Cell-Membrane flemoid) Flembrane = Flemoidus Membranis? (Comes from Membrane. A membrane is a wall for a 'Cell' and he was guarding a holding place also called a cell while in the shape of a wall. Nice, Chukker.)
(Maximum flemoid) Maximus/Maximum Flemoid? = Flemoidus Maximus
(Abomination flemoid) The Flembomination = Flemoidus Abominus? (Comes from Abomination.)
(Massive flemoid) Lord Snotfolus = Flemoidus Gargantucis? (Comes from Gargantuan, which fits. He IS the leader of the flemoids, you know.)

Cereals:
(Chex person) Chex person = Cerelan Chexonian?
(Brand X person) X person = Cerelan Xian?
(Bagel person) Bagel person = Cerelan Baglon?
(Shreddies person) Shreddies person = Cerelan Shreddan

Other:
(Hydrak) Hydrak = Hydra Vertus
(Hydrak Brute) Buff Hydrak = Hydra Glatorius

DISCUSS!
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Replica

The Flem brane, is brane, not brain. Which leads me to beleave he was named for being like a Cell-Membrane. Which is a wall surrounding the cell.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Zorchdude

Wow, Chukker really had some deep meaning in there when he designed the Flembrane. Quite awesome.

Now changed to-
(Cell-Membrane flemoid) Flembrane = Flemoidus Membranis? (Comes from Membrane. A membrane is a wall for a 'Cell' and he was guarding a holding place also called a cell while in the shape of a wall. Nice, Chukker.)

^^
Narf.

Atariangamer

Ok, the genus is fine...Flemoidus.

the bipedicus has been called "beppy" and "biped"...a suggestion for common names?
the Bipedicus with armor...I always thought it wasn't a whole nother species, but just a biped with some armor (as the name states). I dont think the armor should affect its Scientific Name.
the teneris is a great name, i'm for it...
I called the Stridicus "striders"...nother comon suggestion.

and the cereals...how do you say that genus? if it sounds like Correlian (Han Solo...), then that sounds good.
or just to be more lifelike...
Ceri Chexus (IDK)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Datra

Quote from: Replica on October 27, 2008, 04:58:31 PM
The Flem brane, is brane, not brain.
Hmmm, Flembrain... (envisions it for a moment) I think that name has potential.
CQHD Community Dev

Replica

We should probably get Chcuker to look at this, just to see what the flemoid's creator has to say about it.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

@Replica: That would be good...

@Datra: Its got potential, but not in this application. Its been Flembrane since CQ1, and I cant think of a reason to change it now...

Datra

Quote from: Atariangamer on October 27, 2008, 07:02:36 PM
@Datra: Its got potential, but not in this application. Its been Flembrane since CQ1, and I cant think of a reason to change it now...
Did it seem like I was implying on changing the name?... oops... didn't mean to. I was more thinking as a whole new flemoid... I'm probably in the wrong topic for this :-\
CQHD Community Dev

Atariangamer

Thats ok. But what do ya think about the rest?

Zorchdude

Cerelan is pronounced seh-RI-lan. Say it quickly. THAT'S how you say it.

I'll go approve Flemoidus Teneris (Larva) then. ^^

What do people think of Flemoidus Gargantucis (Snotfolus)? Or should it be Garganticus?

I'm planning to make a chaingunner replacement. It is actually a slightly bulkier bicedipus that has fins on it's back, and if you fold down the fins (Read: Remove with MSPaint) it will fit straight onto any rotation of the Armoured Bicedipus. I intend for these two creatures to be one and the same. If people have objections, please say- This IS a debate-like topic! ^^

I also came up with a better idea for the Flem Mine.
(Mine flemoid) Flem Mine = Flemoidus Miumis? (Comes from Praemium, Latin for Explode)
Liketh?
Narf.

Atariangamer

bit shorter, I'll take it.

and actually, we got about 3-4 chaingunner replacements...scratch that, more like 2...but o well.

Datra

I have a chaingunner replacement idea sketch somewhere, Unless the replacement is finalized, I could find, scan, and post it sometime this week.
CQHD Community Dev

Manny Cav

I notice that the list dose not ever reference the real, in-game name of "Flemoidus Bipedicus with armor". You must put that somewhere, either as the common name or the scientific name. As Atariangamer pointed out, the BWA is not a whole new species, so it should work as a scientific name, with "armored biped" or some other silly name being the common name.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Datra

Um. I do not see the Flembomination on the list...
CQHD Community Dev

Zorchdude

Both types added.

(Bipedal flemoid with armour) Armored Bipedicus/Flemoidus Bipedicus with armor = Flemoidus Bipedicus Ultricus?
(Abomination flemoid) The Flembomination = Flemoidus Abominus? (Comes from Abomination.)
Narf.