Author Topic: Release #6  (Read 6978 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Release #6
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
A map that pops...

-Detail
-Good spread of enemies (not just a swarm of easy, and not just a few of hard)
-good balance of ammo and health in the different dificulty levels
-nice and legnthy
-puzzles
-complexity
-fitting music
-clear destination
-interesting design

NOW, you usually do okay on detail, but somewhere between TUCQ and KDiZD detail is really nice.
the spread of enemies you need work on. Its nice and thrilling to have a ton of flemies to zorch, but when they can slime you before you can even switch to a quicker weapon (Its true, happened to me the other day in another mod), thats no good...mostly in the parts where they can surround you. then you usually cant jump out, and you usually are dead unless you got some plasma AKA phasing. The ammo and health seems a bit 60:40. I can usually get ammo before I get health relief. But thats okay. Some of your levels are short, while others are kinda midlegnth. I nice long level would be awesome (But not too long, then i'd lose my interest.) again, KDiZD level would be just a BIT too long...Puzzles you have...sometimes. I'm talking about bringing a few pieces together to make a key or object to open a door/trade for a key/trade for the door open (yeah, I'm thinking strife). Your levels aren't that complex. They have a nice feel to them, but its alot of the tired maze aspects. (tired because I almost fell asleep in one dark maze!) A good multidoor puzzle would be cool (back to KDiZD, near the end you had to use a computer console to open another computer room, that also opened the door a bit, and then you had to activate all computers to open the door enough to go through...and then it closed behind you). THe music is CQ, there is really little to no category for what music goes with which level, but at least try. Doom's music fit pretty well, depending on the level size and attitude IMO. You have no clear destination. Its just open the red door and see. I know you use the exit signs a few times, but the level that used the CQ3 satilites I had NO idea where to go till i activated the map. you should have some map texture, some story, some clue as to the fact that stellar cartography holds the exit teleport, and the general location so that I know where to work towards. Interesting design is key. Many levels are just linear and hold NO interest at all. your maps show you try, but there still is just a bit too much plain-ness. You have a limitless engine, get more than 256 different visplanes in one shot if possible!

Ok, now about your DLights. The flemoids have some harsh glow. In the dark, its too much. a gentle glow would suffice. Also, the blood/flem is suposed to match the flemoid's color, right?

Overall, its a nice mod. Just take what I said into a level and make it pop XD

Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
Atarian hath spoken.  A lot.  ;) :D

Haven't tried out the new WAD yet (Heck, haven't updated yet since the last time we talked  ;))

But one map I thought was nice and unique was MAP15, y'know, Skyscrapers.  I liked it.

EDIT: And QFT to the swarmz and mazes.

EDIT 2: New wepz soon? Anytime? Maybe something like that Ice Phaser from G2?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:19:35 PM by ChexCommander »
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
Often times, I pay attention to music after the fact. Nice essay, AG. I'll be sure to take that into account when making my prison base.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 27
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
It's good, Atari had some good points.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't see very well in this mod for about the first 10 levels or so.

I'd like to see more brightness... for me dark is frustrating. Especially for the whole level. Same thing for the pulsing lights.

Definitely liked the bonus levels, but a bit too think with the amount of flemoids. I'd personally rather see one HUGE flemoid than a thousand little tiny ones. Also, a bit too many arch-viles, but that's a matter of perspective  ;)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
Hey, it's a G2 mod, it's supposed to be hard. XD

It seems bright enough for me...try adjusting your settings....
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
It's good, Atari had some good points.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't see very well in this mod for about the first 10 levels or so.

I'd like to see more brightness... for me dark is frustrating. Especially for the whole level. Same thing for the pulsing lights.

Definitely liked the bonus levels, but a bit too think with the amount of flemoids. I'd personally rather see one HUGE flemoid than a thousand little tiny ones. Also, a bit too many arch-viles, but that's a matter of perspective  ;)

What about a BUNCH of huge Flemoids? ;D

And yes, it must be your light settings.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting