Reconsidering the Quake engine

Started by Kato, October 08, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Darkplaces is a very nice, modern engine. I just tried it, and it looks better than the original engine. It also can be used with realtime lighting, though it takes a hit to the framerate according to your graphics. There are others, and I need to look at them to decide.

HOWEVER, with my bit of time this weekend, I'd like to make a map. However, I need a few things...

I need the CQ textures...Anyone have them? THEY ARE NECESSARY!

Also, if anyone can find some stuff on rendering Quake/Quake2 maps (qBSP and such), plz, tell.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Heh. Don't look at me. I'm a neophyte.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Replica on November 23, 2008, 03:46:58 PM
Or open Doomu/Chex.wad. :P
I think that would be more work than just downloading from CQG, though.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Lemme reiterate. The "WAD Textures" aren't the real textures, they are the patches. Quake uses each file as a texture. No patches, no TEXTURE1 lump. I was wanting full rips of textures. This would do normaly, but heres an example of how not: the red key door is made of a plain door and a red sign. they are 2 separate patches, and I would need to manually place them back together. This is harder said than done on things like the computer textures and the like.

Replica

Well, you cant. So you'll have to do it manualy.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

I've tried...XWE keeps crashing on me, and every time it does work, the save function under the Texture menu doesn't work anymore.

plus, I thought there was a pack of them...

Replica

No, you have to do it manually. Try Slumped.

Atariangamer

That does nothing...I can open/edit the wad, but what from there? ><

Replica

Atariangamer

...lemme reiterate for the third time:

-Manny has a package of the 'patches'.
-I would have to hand remake the actual textures, which is hard being as some of the textures take up 10 patches or more
-XWE has a Texture>Save thing, but its not working for me
-SLumpEd has no such option, working or not.

Ok, the blue wall. Its a patch, but also a texture. things like the boxes are NOT a patch. they are 2 end pieces PLUS a repeated center patch. Thats just a bit too much cut and paste. There HAS to be an easier way to extract the textures from the TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lumps...

Manny Cav

You do not ask an easy thing, but it is possible. When you open up TEXTURE1 or 2, you can scroll through the possible textures. You just have to manually print screen them, position them in Paint or whatever, crop them, and save them.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Oh! That works...><

I guess I can mess with that some, but I SWEAR I had a pack of the real textures at one point... :confused:

Manny Cav

Also beware of the dreaded duplicate texture. Since you're not doing a Doom WAD, but a new system, there is really no value in having them to fill in all of the textures.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010