Tool to make chex/doom mods

Started by 75, December 31, 2008, 02:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replica

Please edit your posts instead of double posting.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

The Slimeinator

Or, in this case, triple posting. ;)
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

yeah, guess I wasn't paying attention, sorry
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Manny Cav

The original topic starter can double post, but do use common sense--if the last post is less than 48 hours old, just edit it. See the board rules for exceptions.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

I know it's been more than a month since any posts have happened here, but I've been looking at other mods and I think I can see how all the sprites of a wad are made...

but, looking in XWE

I can't figure out how the computer knows when to use that stuff, for example, how would it know to use the "firing" sprite when the player shoots vs. using the "just walking around" sprites.

Also, does XWE make the maps, or is it purely Doombuilder for maps? Should I use XWE or DB first?

EDIT- I found a guide for doombuilder. You know, I think CQFF is the only place to find it. I must've looked for an hour on google
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

The Slimeinator

1. The bump rule has been extended to 2 months.

2. Internal code, or DECORATE.

3. Use Doom Builder for maps.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Atariangamer

Quote from: 75 on February 08, 2009, 08:07:12 PM
I can't figure out how the computer knows when to use that stuff, for example, how would it know to use the "firing" sprite when the player shoots vs. using the "just walking around" sprites
its all part of a universal code of the engine. it knows that X=X, and that it needs to be displayed at this place. Thats why it was so limited back then...now we have DECORATE, which is basically what a full engine replacement did in a small block of external code.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

You use DB first, then edit everything with XWE.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

GREAT- I have a ton of cool ideas. Next time I get a chance I'm going to see if I can make them into something.

Is there a way to put music from cds, like actual audio tracks onto chex quest or does it have to be midi? Is there some kind of converter available?

EDIT- also, how does one make spites, is it just a matter of importing paint (.bmp) files into XWE?

Does GIMP work for this?

Replica

No, the music has to be "Mus" files, but ZDoom has the ability to run midi, mp3, mp2, and a bunch of other things.

HA! No, paint isn't a good sprite maker. I suggest using paint-shop pro, because you can see the pallet.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

The music does NOT have to be MUS, it can be Midi, Mus, or Mp3 so long as you use GZDoom. Maybe that's what you were saying Replica, but I just wanted to reinforce it.

Quote from: Replica on February 10, 2009, 11:02:39 AM
No, the music has to be "Mus" files, but ZDoom has the ability to run midi, mp3, mp2, and a bunch of other things.

HA! No, paint isn't a good sprite maker. I suggest using paint-shop pro, because you can see the pallet.
Yeah, but I don't think he's gonna pay for PSP.  ;)

But I definitely wouldn't use Paint, unless you've got Skillz with it like Manny.  :D

GIMP or Paint.net would be your best bet. Prolly GIMP. But I'm not sure what format to use.

Manny Cav

Quote from: ChexCommander on February 10, 2009, 07:28:26 PM
But I definitely wouldn't use Paint, unless you've got Skillz with it like Manny.  :D
I'll have you know that I also use the Game Maker image editor (best exchange of features versus ease of use) and GIMP (can't really use this one to its full power). :D

But, they're right. The images don't need to be made in any single image editor. You can use BMP, GIF (I haven't tried this), and even PNG to surpass the Doom palette limit.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Quote from: Manny Cav on February 11, 2009, 12:32:31 PM
I'll have you know that I also use the Game Maker image editor (best exchange of features versus ease of use) and GIMP (can't really use this one to its full power). :D
Y'know, I've never thought about using the GM image editor, but I might try it out later. It just never came to my mind.

And you bet you haven't used GIMP to its max potential. Unless you're like a professional image editor that works with Photoshop and the like, it's hard to max GIMP out.  It's a bit of a learning curve for some operations, but you're pictures look SO good if they come out right.  ;)

GameMaster

ChexCommander

This?

Unless you mean Adobe Fireworks? I've got Photoshop, I don't really need another Adobe product. They get expensive, y'know.