Author Topic: Windows 95/98 games won't run anymore on XP.  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Windows 95/98 games won't run anymore on XP.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »
dos box can be used to make it work (sometimes) by mounting C:\ as C:\ then your cd drive properly. This should work, but then you will have to use dosbox to make it run again.

and in CQ...dosbox actually accentuates the errors in the maps. Especially a HOM or something in CQ2, it slows the game down to nothing...then your window might crash.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
These aren't DOS games or programs, therefore, DOSBox  is utterly useless.
Code: [Select]
This program must be run under Win32As for installing Windows 98 on an external hard drive... the one I have is kind of valuable and I wouldn't want to mess it up with something "risky" like that. It connects to computers vis USB, and I'm not sure if I could run an OS off of an external device like that. A dual boot between 98 and XP is sounding like my best bet, and even then, there are some issues surrounding that.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 11:59:27 PM »
Or you could get another computer with Win 98.

...yes, how smart am I! ::)
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline Dacicus

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:01 AM »
Maybe this program called Dos-box could help. I'm not really sure though, but it should work for the old CQ or something (I've never tried).

Does the original CQ not work in Windows XP for you guys? That's weird; it seems to work fine for me. Well, the graphics seem more pixelated than I remember, but that's probably because I've seen ones that are more smooth recently. Are you running XP Home or Pro?

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 02:07:17 AM »
Compatibility is dependent more on hardware than software. Usually soundcards cause the problem [not entirely compatible with the protocols contained within the game], as the game slows down as it attempts to make computations for soundplay.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 12:06:06 AM »
...For the record...many ways of creating sound in older games were unorthodox. They weren't to normal specs. They just relied on the hardware to do it for them, using tricks in the wiring. Well, when the wiring is emulated through code, they aren't in the same order, deleting the method used for creating sound. This then will either crash the game or run it slowly with very little sound. (from experience and a tech guy)

I got CQ to work on XP for me after a small bit of setting tweaking. The sound, however, never recovered.

Offline GameMaster

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • [$_(1)_$]
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
you can buy Microsoft(?) Virtual PC
emulates old versions of windows. does a good job with windows 95.
you need a wicked fast processer though. its a memory hogger.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
...do I have do own the install disks for, say, Win 3.1? or does it come with it? (this might be worth looking into...)

Offline MrSirrr

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 01:58:37 AM »
r-r-r-r-r-rise from your grave.

this is weird but worth a shot, sorry to comment on this old post but i just registered to ask if anybody has this old game "arcade hits" the OP was referring to. i literally can't find any trace of it anywhere on the internet, this forum post is the closest thing that pops up in a google search

old abandoned budget game for windows 95 but i still have the cd cover used to play a ton of it and chex quest back in the day what a coincidence ,

i uploaded a pic of it :
https://s21.postimg.org/x3ckiano7/IMG_1152_1.jpg

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 02:45:08 AM »
r-r-r-r-r-rise from your grave.

this is weird but worth a shot, sorry to comment on this old post but i just registered to ask if anybody has this old game "arcade hits" the OP was referring to. i literally can't find any trace of it anywhere on the internet, this forum post is the closest thing that pops up in a google search

old abandoned budget game for windows 95 but i still have the cd cover used to play a ton of it and chex quest back in the day what a coincidence ,

i uploaded a pic of it :
https://s21.postimg.org/x3ckiano7/IMG_1152_1.jpg
I'm guessing it was one of those incredibly obscure "video game comets" that only circulates around once and isn't found elsewhere, but all the arcade games on it sound like reskins of other classics, so it probably wouldn't be that hard to find the original games it used :P
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline MrSirrr

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 03:41:53 AM »
yeah its pretty obscure and super nostalgic for me, remember it had good music too

idk im guessing thats why this thread has alot of views because google searching it brings up this site

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting