An engine CQ should be ported to

Started by TrueDude, March 17, 2009, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datra

:o this looks like a cool project. If I do make something then the hardest part for me will be the texturing and exporting. Unfortunately I don't know any C++ (I really wish I do) I don't think I said that I know C++ and seeing as I haven't been here in a few weeks, could someone catch me up as to how that came up.  :)
CQHD Community Dev

Quote from: ChexCommander on March 19, 2009, 05:12:28 PM
Ah, I have Steam! I'll catch you sometime. I'll update you with my info via PM.

Hm, composing, even with MIDI, I'm rather a neophyte. I can play music, but composing would require me to climb over the learning curve, which seems rather easy to pick up.

Capturing sound/music is easy enough for anyone with Audacity (is that along what you were thinking, 75?) and can easily be turned into WAV or MP3.

Quote from: 75 on March 19, 2009, 12:49:19 AM
Also, I may be taking something along the lines of C++ , but, since I'm an ME I'm not sure how much

GIMP represents the full spectrum of my visual editing tools, but I'm learning! I'd be more than glad to help if there's anything I can do.

That means that you've got quite a spectrum. GIMP is a very powerful image editing tool, and I've become at least an intermediate at it. Photoshop really only trumps GIMP if you need CMYK for printing mass-production stuff and all that. Of course it's got way more than that, but for free, GIMP is all you need. Anyways, I'm sure I could help as well.

And what do you mean by you being an ME? You've got Vista 64, so it's not Millennium Edition, is it?

I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering. We have to take a few ECE and a CIS course, but that's not a lot. I'm just saying I'll have a bit of experience, but mot much.

That was what I had in mind with audio capture. I was just throwing it out there.

I'm getting better with GIMP. at first it was like it was written in chinese. Now I'm getting used to some of the features. I'm moving along pretty well, but some things like the selection system keep slowing me down. I'll figure it out, though  ;)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

TrueDude

Does anyone know how to setup a .pk3 file that works in doomsday? jChex might actually get off the ground soon...

ChexCommander

Ah yes, even I'm not good with the selection system.  I also have Photoshop Elements, and I prefer to use that for most of my stuff.  Many times, there is an equal or similar tool in GIMP.  But in PE, you just drag and drop the selection.  Gimp is a bit more complicated.

Mechanical Engineering.  Sweet.

I WISH I knew C++.  I'm prolly gonna have to learn it sometime, but I don't have the time or effort yet to break through that humongous manual for just C alone....geez.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

I'm planning on getting alot of computer courses in College...like Computer Science, Programming, and even Game Design (if they have it).
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

I think it was Cornell that had a Game Design class...I actually know a few people going to Cornell.

I already know most of the stuff in my school's Comp Software and Media Apps class set.

Replica

Quote from: The Slimeinator on March 19, 2009, 10:50:41 PM
Fail Legacy only has sector colors.

Zdoom and GZdoom are both far more than capable of it.

+1 For slime. XD

Quote from: Datra on March 19, 2009, 11:28:22 PM
:o this looks like a cool project. If I do make something then the hardest part for me will be the texturing and exporting. Unfortunately I don't know any C++ (I really wish I do) I don't think I said that I know C++ and seeing as I haven't been here in a few weeks, could someone catch me up as to how that came up.  :)

ah, sorry, I thought you did.  :-[
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

Quote from: Replica on March 23, 2009, 09:40:14 AM
Quote from: The Slimeinator on March 19, 2009, 10:50:41 PM
Fail Legacy only has sector colors.
+1 For slime. XD

-1 for both of y'all ><

If you ever looked at the inner workings of xbolt's Newmaps, thats how he made all of his cutscene transitions, with fog. Also, In one of his levels, you are in a canyon, and the lowest parts have some white fog in them.

Quote from: True_Dude on March 20, 2009, 04:55:50 PM
Does anyone know how to setup a .pk3 file that works in doomsday? jChex might actually get off the ground soon...
I've looked inside one, and its all weird. I'd hafta know what does what and why before I could think about making one...check around the newdoom? forums, they have a doomsday forum with some examples (small ones, but probably enough for a learning experience)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

TheMasterOfBattle

Guys, guys.  Let's not go down the path of the last time we talked about porting CQ to another engine.  That almost resulted in a flamewar.

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

ChexCommander

True.  Well at least jDoom is a bit closer than Quake.  ;)

And please, guys.  I'm sick of this whole Legacy vs ZDoom argument.  Get over it.  Two different projects, two different ideas, two different ways of doing things.  I believe Fail was reserved for Forum Games, was it not? Can the sparks, and let's get back to your scheduled discussion.

brain candy

Quote from: ChexCommander on March 23, 2009, 05:20:39 PM
And please, guys.  I'm sick of this whole Legacy vs ZDoom argument.  Get over it.  Two different projects, two different ideas, two different ways of doing things.  I believe Fail was reserved for Forum Games, was it not? Can the sparks, and let's get back to your scheduled discussion.
QFT. Definitely a good reminder, folks.

As for what is at hand, I don't know if I'll be able to devote all the time that is deserving of this project, but I'm well versed in various computer languages, including C++. I would love to help as much as I am able to. I also play drums, bass, and guitar but have limited recording abilities. Rushnerd might be your man-- he's insanely talented in both creating music and music production. Too bad he keeps disappearing!

ChexCommander

Man, between bc, Rush, Me, Strife, and everyone else musical here, we could create a sweet CQ band!  :D

TheMasterOfBattle

I could probably play keyboard if needed.  I play classical piano.  XD

ChexCommander

Hey, me too! Keyboard pals!  I actually play classical, jazz, blues, rock, funk, and anything else I have to play.  But mostly classical, jazz, and rock.

TheMasterOfBattle

Only problem would be is that we do not have an electronic keyboard, we have a classical piano. XD