ModDB guys, check it out.

Started by wiweeyum, April 10, 2009, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiweeyum

Hey all, I pop in every once in a while with some news or whatever. The most current bit of info for you all is that I just created a profile for Chex Quest on ModDB.com. Go check it out at:
http://www.moddb.com/games/chex-quest/

If you haven't used ModDB at all, this is the time to figure it out. Just spend some time browsing around and looking for games and mods. The site has managed to combine many many different communities in the way it should be done. Any time someone uploads a mod or addon pack to a game with a good news post (this is the important part), they can get featured on the front page... which means your file can get easily 400+ views the day that you upload it. Currently, there are 1320 people viewing the site, and I've never seen that number lower than 600.

So, go upload all your map packs. Go upload your new enemies, your music, etc. If it's taken advantage of, you'll have a common hub to get your files noticed. This is coming from experience. :P

Also, I did the Doom 3 Chex Quest game called Chex Trek (wow, three games all at once). It's been a while since I stopped working on that, so after realizing that a lot of people didn't have Doom 3 (either they didn't want the nasty gory, or weren't allowed to, etc.) I made a few recordings of the gameplay. It's just a straight run through from start to finish of my mod. If you'd like to watch those videos, including a remake of Landing Zone, go here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/chex-trek-beyond-the-quest

You guys keep Chex Quest alive! I love you for it. Now go make a dent in the big bad violent AAA-title world! They need something non-violent to shake up their world!

Richie

I thought a spam bot had somehow gotten through our filters when I saw this title.  XD

Welcome to the forums!  Chex Trek was amazing.  Do you have any plans of restarting it?

ChexCommander

Welcome to the forums?! Richie, where have you been?!

It was a while back when wiweeyum joined the forums and told us about his new project for the Source Engine called Violation Flemoid (it was supposed to be for RAGE back then).  But that was at least before Christmas, if I remember correctly.

And btw, is VioFlem supposed to be for the UT3 Engine or Source? The VioFlem site says one, and Mod DB says the other...
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

Bwahaha! The human spam bot. I'll change the title of the thread to something a little less fake sounding. Oh the joy of 3 am posts. :)

Chex Trek is done. That in itself was a huge learning project where I learned what not to do. I honestly have no idea what it's like to work on a project here, but with the newer engines and the level of quality needed to impress people... it's crazy to tackle a project as big as I did with absolutely no organization. In fact the only reason it got so far is because of sheer tenacity. Oh btw, here are the two videos from the ModDB page... on YouTube! (hehe, it's like listening to yourself recorded... you just cringe every time you hear it, even though you know it's not bad)

BUT! I am working on Violation Flemoid: Bootspoon of Justice. It's the same idea that I had earlier to retell (not remake) chex quest on a newer engine. I really don't want to go into a crazy amount of detail yet... but I'll keep you guys in the loop.

ANd it's source. Moddb is the most up to date.

ChexCommander

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I doubt if there's at least 2 people here who play Unreal Tournament 3.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

ITS gonna be a source mod?!?!? OH YEAH!
And have you seen my pregame and endgame stories? Thats kinda a retell of the pregame and E1M5.

Aw, now I cant wait for the game...Chex Quest: Source...XD
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

It looks like Atariangamer's dream is actually coming true... Now Strife just needs to get involved. ;)

Seriously, though. That's an awesome bit of news. Since it's Source, are you going to utilize Valve's SteamWorks and make some cool achievements for it? That would be wicked awesome.

Manny Cav

I know it's a little late to comment on this, but I really like it! I love the detail, the Flemoids (very creepy--a lot of the members here who first played Chex Quest when it came out remember being frightened by the Flemoids), just everything. It's like a dream mod when you actually see it. Too bad that it shut the Doom 3-less off, though. I also liked the subtle references to the original game (the news article on that table, the monitor that played the intro video). I just don't understand why the weapons couldn't have been fixed some.

On one note, I'd like to use a Doom-engine version of whatever that thing is that you throw that has the red button on top in my mod, Chex Quest Arena. May I do so?

It would also seem like the domains squatters finally got http://www.chextrek.com/. In fact, it also seems like you took http://www.vioflem.com/ down for awhile.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

It's pretty good.... but I don't like the new flemoid sounds... it just doesn't seem Chex Questy enough

The voiceovers were really good, and the textures are well done, but I actually don't like the new flemoids, they're not cartoony enough; they don't look like flemoids, they look like slimy doom3 monsters.

It's a very good idea, and one of the most complete mods I've seen, but the weapons and the enemies are just too... dark. It seems like that happens a lot with the new shooters  :-\
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Manny Cav

The problem with the weapons is simple--wiweeyum or "StoneyDumples" and his team could either not find a way to replace them, or they simply were too... unmotivated. As for the Flemoids, I actually rather like the new creepy nature about them. It's more realistic (but at the cost of the cartoony appearance), but keeps the core Flemoid values. I also like the slime trails they leave. However, it would seem like the Cycloptis has been weakened down some, likely because it was made to replace another monster.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

A more realistic, spookier Chex Quest on Source would win. But I would like the zorchers to be a bit more like the originals. And a reloading system (or a charging system, like the chopper cannon on the airboat in HL2) would rock.

I so totally cant wait for this. But is this you goin solo? or do you have a team behind you?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

wiweeyum

Well thanks for the comments. :)

Manny's got a good grip on what I've been up to. The weapons weren't finished, the flemoids never got modeled right... especially the bipedicus, they look like they were made out of playdough.

I'm making VioFlem as a retelling... I don't want to step on anyones toes with story or anything, so just know that I'm not following the canon 100%. The flemoids will be scarier, but not demonic. The commonus is about as creepy as they'll get.

Really, I'm making the game as how I remember it from when I was younger. Manny hit that nail right on the head. I actually changed the name to something without Chex in it so that it would be harder to relate to the original... I don't want to give Chex Quest a bad name due to the "realism".

That said, there's still no killing. I'm going with a deep deep story, but the coloring will still be very bright and happy. It's an interesting balance... I think you guys will like it, but there's really not any way to show you until there's more to look at.

Somebody ask me about the gameplay. :P That's where it'll really shine.

xbolt

wiweeyum

I can't tell you!  ::) Actually I could, but it would take a really really long time, and I don't think I could explain it well enough without hand signs and movements etc.... meh. As soon as I get some footage of it, I'll post it up. In a nut shell though, it's going to involve strategy that your mom can figure out. :P One thing I liked about Chex Quest was that it catered to more than just gamers. This will do the same. No twitch reaction honed FPS skills needed. But it'll be good.

How about this, if you guys want to know, just ask questions and I'll answer them. Otherwise it'll turn into an essay and it'll be hard to follow in just one sitting. I know because I've lost more than one person through text.

Oh, and if you want updates in other places, follow vioflem on facebook, twitter, or steam. Twitter I'm attempting to do daily updates. It'll be kinda boring for a bit, but as big updates happen, there'll be updates on Facebook and ModDB.

xbolt

Steam group status -- Joined

Oh, and you never answered my question about utilizing SteamWorks and having achievements in the mod.