ModDB guys, check it out.

Started by wiweeyum, April 10, 2009, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiweeyum

It's not something I'd thought of before really. :P Is it possible to do achievements with a mod?

xbolt

I thought it was, but some quick searching leads me to believe the mods that have achievements, were specifically chosen by Valve to receive that treatment.

Dang...

wiweeyum

Yeah, the ones like synergy and stuff do. It's a good idea. The first release is going to be gameplay with a highscore, so achievements could work well... but it wouldn't have the same effect. Sad face.

Super Searcher

This is a AWESOME idea! ;D too bad about not able to have achievements though. :-\
The creator of "A Miner Catastrophe". http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?board=43.0

Hey guys look! Its a giant mushroom, maybe its friendly! :D

Manny Cav

Quote from: wiweeyum on April 11, 2009, 12:51:28 AM
I'm making VioFlem as a retelling... I don't want to step on anyones toes with story or anything, so just know that I'm not following the canon 100%. The flemoids will be scarier, but not demonic. The commonus is about as creepy as they'll get.
I looked at it, but it really looks more like a moldy bunch of clay than a creature with slime dripping in layers from it. The sprites from Chex Quest exhibit this appearance.
Quote from: Manny Cav on April 10, 2009, 09:02:04 PM
On one note, I'd like to use a Doom-engine version of whatever that thing is that you throw that has the red button on top in my mod, Chex Quest Arena. May I do so?
Repeating for lack of response. :P
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Slimeinator

Quote from: Super Searcher on April 11, 2009, 03:32:44 AM
This is a AWESOME idea! ;D too bad about not able to have achievements though. :-\

You can do them in GZdoom.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

The Green Avenger

Slime, this is a Source mod, not a GZDooM mod.  :D
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

wiweeyum

On one note, I'd like to use a Doom-engine version of whatever that thing is that you throw that has the red button on top in my mod, Chex Quest Arena. May I do so?

Yeah, go right ahead. I'm all about sharing ideas. In fact, if anyone likes anything I do, go ahead and use it. You don't have to ask permission. Letting me know would be nice though. :P It's a Zorch-Nade... or at least that's what we called it. I think it looks like a salt shaker though. lol

Quote from: The Slimeinator on April 11, 2009, 02:47:49 PM
Quote from: Super Searcher on April 11, 2009, 03:32:44 AM

You can do them in GZdoom.

If I could make this mod in GZdoom, I'd do it... believe you me! The high end engines are crazy.

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 11, 2009, 10:59:44 AM
I looked at it, but it really looks more like a moldy bunch of clay than a creature with slime dripping in layers from it. The sprites from Chex Quest exhibit this appearance.

Agreed, and thanks for the bluntness. Really. It's on the list of things to do once it's in game to create the slimy look. It still needs the basic infrastructure though for shape. What we're going to do is create little 3D planes that "hang down" from over hanging edges. It'll have a scrolling texture of gloppy slime. Depending on how that looks, we'll add little particle droplets that physically fall off the body.

It would also seem like the domains squatters finally got http://www.chextrek.com/. In fact, it also seems like you took http://www.vioflem.com/ down for awhile.

Chextrek.com and vioflem.com are both payed for out of my pocket. When we decided 100% we were dropping chex trek for vioflem, I let the payment cycle run to its end with chex trek, then transferred everything over to vioflem.com. The old forums can still be accessed at www.vioflem.com/phpBB2 if you'd like. As for the actual website website of vioflem.com, it was old and out of date information. The front page had a comment section that was broken, and very unprofessional looking. Since I didn't have the time to redo the entire site, I just quickly whipped the under construction page up as a shell.

I actually didn't really mean to start getting into vioflem stuff by posting about moddb; it's not really "showing" quality right now. I've been lurking around setting things up quietly for a long time, but no big "here it all is" presentation has been made. It'll all happen soon though.

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 10, 2009, 10:29:33 PMBut is this you goin solo? or do you have a team behind you?

I do the texturing and PR stuff, my brother Jerick does the 3D modelling and concept drawings you see, and Dan911 does the programming. I don't personally have the skill to do it all by myself.

Quote from: 75 on April 10, 2009, 09:28:30 PM
It's a very good idea, and one of the most complete mods I've seen, but the weapons and the enemies are just too... dark. It seems like that happens a lot with the new shooters  :-\

Yes, you're right... it is darker. But I don't want you to turn away yet... it's not going to be dark. There's no way for me to show you yet, but the mood of the game will be very much similar. There is a level of realism added to the characters, monsters, and weapons, but it's all sylized. If you think about the story from the original game, it's quite a sinister plot that's retold many times in many games. Basically an alien race comes in and destroys a base, then you have to go save everyone from the fear. That story is only happy because of the happy graphics... this will stay. The voice acting is quality, but corny. The animations are creepy, but overdone to be silly. The color scheme will look quality and realistic, but still cartoony.

I guess that way I've thought about where the game fits into the rest of the chex quest universe is like this. Relate the original chex quest to a telling of a legend, or a story told over and over from long ago. Details get lost, the story gets fuzzy, the main character is immortalized, the enemies fudged a bit here and there. VioFlem is as if you were to go back and see everything in its glory. Details are fleshed out. Some elements are different, but the main ones stay. Make sense?

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 11, 2009, 10:59:44 AM
Repeating for lack of response. :P

Whew... did I get them all? If I still haven't answered any questions, let me know. :) YOu guys rock.

ChexCommander

Wow, it seems like you've been doing quite some work on this.  I like it. The realism will add a different tone to CQ that is unprecedented.

I'll be awaiting this when it's released someday.  :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

ChexCommander

I'll be pwning those flemoids in my cubicle.  :D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

If we could see even a demo in a year...I would be happy. However, there is probably so much more than that to this thing, so it may be 2-3...or what's your projected finish date?

Those flemoids on the ModDB page look more like, as Manny said, lumps of clay! Also, what setup are you aiming this at? I have enough to run HL2:E2 on medium with little problem, but not enough for high (though if I turned the sound up real loud, I could drown out my CPU fan protesting with all its might ><) To run something like that communus model at full res...dang, would be murder, mebe.

I'm checking out your "features" list...

On the music: You ever play Star Wars: Tie Fighter? That had some great music sync stuff, and enemy enters and almost imediately, the music goes upbeat, and when its gone or the tense situation is over, instant shift to triumphant, which slowly fades down to silence or an ambient Imperial beat. Thanks to the iMuse system, which has got to be the best situational music system i've seen. IMO, HL2 and the orange box games did an OK job with it, but mostly the music is ambient, not situational, except for a few parts. Take getting the HEV suit, that music from the Valve logo comes on. It feels kinda weird though...In CQ, i'm so used to having constant music, while in HL2 there are a few points where there is no music, just talking and battle noise.

Lockon Targeting: I would accept a thirdperson game, if we could have one thing: over the shoulder view. I saw the Ghostbusters demo, and the way that plays is PWNZ. More games should be like that. But in FPS, I dont think that would work so great. I'm not such a fan for lockon except on weapons that need it. Phasing zorcher and propulsor...maybe LAZ device. The rest I dont think would need it. And actually, a physical button lockon would be better for me. I like the option. ;)

The strategy aspect also feels odd. I'm with TGA, it would almost be too easy unless the flemoids were super powerful, then you'd NEED twitch reflexes to activate the freeze and plan out your ideas. ALSO, that sounds very much like the thing in Fallout 3. You slow down time (SLOW, not freeze) and take time to analyze the critical points on the enemy and plan out your attack, then it starts to automate the movement, and you have some control in there somewhere (read it in a mag, havent played). I would rather see alot of few enemies, tense situations, especially in a realism mod like this. Also, have you ANY idea how to implement this in Source? It would take more than what i've seen so far (however, i have seen a good deal of great gameplay bits). I'm a DooMer, so I like placing classic aspects into newer stuff. My idea of strategy is good ammo/health rationing with corner shooting and hiding in crevaces or closets. That system would confuse someone till they learned it, then they would just own the game. I would REALLY like to see this system in action with a nice explanation, then I'd think different. But until then, I'd like to play an FPS instead of a RTS or RPG. IDK...my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

wiweeyum

It'll be released episodic, so the first release is just going to showcase gameplay. No attempts at story will be made. It's a VR training type release. It'll be an orangebox mod, so if you can run portal, you're all good. The models are remeshed to approx. 1000 polys before they go in game. That's a lot better than the 130,000 hi-res. The beauty of normal maps!

Because the combat system (which consists of three main parts, the lock-on, the stamina/accuracy, and the freeze time) is so drastically different, I can't really give an example of what it'll be like. I can give you lists of games that have one element, or maybe an element that inspired another... but really, it's all just very different. It has to be seen to be understood. I'll find out very quickly if it'll work the way I imagine it, and if it doesn't then by golly it'll get changed! That's why the first release is focused only on the combat system.

I have a working prototype of the music system. It's awesome. I'm in the process of getting a song written specifically for it.

The third person camera will control very similar to splinter cell. It's 99% done. The lock-on is about 30% done. The source engine is very flexible, but not many people want to change the formula of an FPS. I'm trying something new, and we'll see how well it works, eh? One update at a time.

Projected time frame? I have no idea really... just follow it on facebook or moddb and you'll see every bit of anything completed. I'm not secret about this mod. You'll see the lock-on system flesh out from nothing in videos. They'll be on youtube, facebook and moddb. I'll post big updates here, but fro little sutff, follow on those sites.

Did I answer all your questions?

Atariangamer

You've answered all of mine till release of new stuff ;D
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 11, 2009, 10:56:52 PM

On the music: You ever play Star Wars: Tie Fighter?

That is one awesome game! I didn't know anyone else played that!

Sorry, just had to say that
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem