ModDB guys, check it out.

Started by wiweeyum, April 10, 2009, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiweeyum

Very good points Atarian. I'm happy to tell you that it'll be good. The biggest design challenge we've given ourelves (hehe, ourselves... not our elves) is to change the formula, while still keeping the fun fast FPS feel. I personally think it'll work, but I really can't guarantee 100% yet since it's not made. :P I promise though that if it doesn't keep the fast paced feel, it'll be changed til it does. I want you guys to follow the development so it feels right. I listen to your feedback, and it does affect the choices I make.

Look at this picture for your caverns feel. It'll be as creepy as it was the first time you entered it.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/violation-flemoid/images/flembrane-concept-model

Atariangamer

Wow, that would be epic freaky to walk up in! (but i would OH SO TOTALLY DO IT!)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Strife

You know, Wiwee, the scary-but-silly style you're describing reminds me somewhat of the Oddworld series. ^_^ One of the things that makes Oddworld stand out for me is that it has a gritty atmosphere and a sinister plot, but the characters act and sound like cartoons. If VioFlem turns out to be anything like that, i'd totally give it a shot. Heck, i'd give it a shot no matter what it turns out to be like. xD

It's really awesome that you've given so much effort into bringing Chex Quest into the current generation of the game industry! Here's hoping we can make it stay there. ^_^

wiweeyum

I really appreciate that Strife. And I totally dig the shortened version of Wiweeyum, it made me laugh.

I've not played Oddworld, but I'm grabbing a demo off of steam right now.

ChexCommander

Lol at the abbreviation of wiweeyum. XD

And dude, that picture is SO SWEET! I would totally play that.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

So I think the best way to test out ModDB is to get someones MOD up there and see what becomes of it. I've spoken with the admins more than once, and I know their level of standard when it comes to promoting. If someone's willing to put their project up there, completed or not, I can show you how to get it noticed. There's a formula that works every time to get it on the front page.

CHeck out the statistics for visitors looking at different sections of my profile. The most recent spike is from it going on the front page for two days.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/violation-flemoid/stats
That's 464 visitors in just one day at its highest... and VioFlem is new. Well established mods get much higher.

Replica

O_O I'd pay so much to get that many people interested! Your mod looks like it deserves it too. :)
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

Since you seem interested wiweeyum, I'll give this a shot sometime. I think I'll do it when Beta 4 comes out, so I'll have more to show for it, as well as to get some important changes across (like separating the skins) before the unchanged version gets published abroad. I'll also need for my website to be in running order again. Getting Beta 4 out may take awhile, though due to the dreaded modder's roadblock, and the website itself will probably take around a week or so, give or take a few days.

In the meantime, what will I need to get started, wiweeyum, in terms of content, images for the front page, etc.?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Quote from: Replica on April 17, 2009, 09:26:13 AM
O_O I'd pay so much to get that many people interested! Your mod looks like it deserves it too. :)

My dad's got 26000 hits on his Freewebs Page.  ;)

Mind you, he did post a lotta links and submitted to search engines, but that's how you do it on the Internet.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

The header image is all you need to get it up, but as for content, just a couple screens to prove that it's actually more than an "Idea". That shouldn't be hard for you. :P

As for getting news posts on the front page, Good HTML formatting with content, whether it be pictures or videos. The order people look at your page is Comments, pictures, videos, then read the news post, then comment themselves.