[Discussion]Chex Squadron, the Role Play

Started by The Green Avenger, April 13, 2009, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Green Avenger

Alright, I do a significant amount of role playing on other forums, so this idea seemed to have a little bit of an appeal for me.  Before beginning, though, I wanted to know if there is any interest.

Basically, just in case there are people here that do not know, role playing is basically writing a story by having each player control a specific character or, optionally, a group of characters in a specific setting, usually controlled by the starter of a role play.

The setting I am suggesting in this case would be the Intergalactic Federation of Cereals' Chex Squadron Headquarters.  To begin, we would likely be more dealing with training and character development (basically conversation, interacting with his environment), but later we can come up with a situation to send the characters into, flemoid related or not.  Even perhaps have a few issues in the Federation not having to do with the flemoids to warm up, then have some sort of flemoid issue.  Failing that, we could even do it without any flemoids if we come up with storylines that work well enough.  :D

Alright, since there seems to be some interest, I am posting the rules for the role play here:

TEH RULEZ:

1) No godmodding.  This basically means doing things that are absolutely physically impossible.  I realize that, in a fictional universe, the definition of 'physically possible' may vary, but let's try to stay with humanly possible things.

2) No excess use of other people's characters without permission.  In other words, you might put someone's character in a visual cameo without permission, but don't go putting words in their mouths without asking first.

3) Try to keep grammar and spelling good.  I realize that typos happen, but I have seen way too many instances of things being really over the top with them.  Just try to keep it neat as much as possible.

4) Main characters, such as Fred Chexter and the IFC commander lady (whoever she is), should be used in moderation, and not exclusively by one person.  We may want to include Fred to some extent, seeing as he is the one face we currently recognize out of the Squadron, but don't try to take him over and send him into every mission.  He might turn up during a mission, but I'd prefer if original characters got some exposure as well.

5) In keeping with the games' purpose, try not to have anyone 'die', per se.  We may have to come up with some solution for fights within the IFC, but I don't think we'll be jumping right into that anyway.

6) Don't overpower your character.  This is a potential workaround for the godmodding rule, please do not use it.  Limit commando level characters to a minimum.

7) Remember, board rules apply here too.  Therefor, anything that goes in the rest of the forum goes here, and that which is prohibitted globally isn't allowed in here either, including 'in character' statements.

I may think of some more later.

Also, to allow others to know best how to write in the setting, I would like everyone to post a character profile for every main original character introduced, using this format:

Name: (Character's name)
Male/Female: (Choose one)
Height: (Human equivalent)
Hair/Eyes: (I don't know if Chex people have hair, but you get the idea.  Just the colors of both of them)
Rank: (For now, we could go with trainee/regular/veteran/commando, although suggestions are open)
Assignment: (Probably only applicable from regular on up, perhaps even only veterans and up)

I don't know how flemoid characters could be worked into the storyline, but if you can think of a way, please introduce your character using a similar format.  Also, if your character is civilian, even possibly not Chex, you may modify the profile sheet as needed.  The basic idea is just to give people the basic idea of who everyone is.

BTW @ mods, could we have a separate thread for discussions on the setting (a gamemaster, or out of character, thread)?  That allows for the continuation of the storyline without interruption, while discussions continue on elsewhere.  If we could, could we then have the non-Role Play posts in this topic moved there?  Thank you.

-IMPORTANT-

Everyone, please carefully read everyone else's RP posts before posting.  Also, I believe that a technique suggested earlier in this thread should be carried out now, just to help keep thing organized.  That being, adding what characters you use and where they end up, and in what state.  This should be added to the end of your post IN THE RP (Quick reference), and should look something like this.

Chexter - Moved from Storage Facility to Laboratories, partially slimed.

or

Chexter - Moved from Arborteum to Caverns, unconscious, carried by Kix man.

Also, if none of you would mind too terribly much, I think we should begin adding timestamps to our posts, at the beginning.  Let's just call my RP post Year 2300, July 28, 0900 hours.  From there, every post.  That should allow people to accurately work with the characters without having conflicts.  I think we can leave all current posts sans timestamps, but they will come in handy for reference later.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

arch129

The idea does sound fun. I never role played before on a forum before, but I have heard of it before.

Replica

Yeah I would love to participate. BTW, shouldn't this go in forum games?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Zorchdude

I want to be a Flemoid. A Bipedicus without Armour. Pleaaaase? ^^
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Strife

Flemoids would definitely be a challenge to roleplay, since they can only make noises and aren't really capable of coherent speech (unless of course we're talking about personal thoughts or telepathy). Sounds interesting though! ^^

I think I would be interested in taking a crack at this roleplay, if we decide to do it. ^_^ I have prior experience with roleplaying as well. Before we actually go ahead and start one though, clear rules should be established as far as godmoding is concerned since that is often the downfall of many RPs, at least in my personal experience.

I don't think roleplays should be in Forum Games since that's already active enough to begin with. The Chex Quest Fiction board is very empty and fresh. ^_^

matthias720

I think it's an interesting idea.  It's definitely worth developing to see how it grows.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Manny Cav

A roleplay would be a very nice thing. I think I'll take a crack at it if this comes to pass, but I have a minimal amount of experience with roleplaying.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Same as Manny. It sounds like fun, but I have a lack of roleplaying experience.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

TheMasterOfBattle

Indeed, it does sound like fun, but I also have no experience with roleplaying on forums. XD

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

ChexCommander

This is really the only forum I ever go on anyways.

Zorchdude

I have an idea for how this could work.

HUB SYLLABUS
NAME: (Obvious. With Flemoid Class, it would have no vowels and possibly an identification number (If captured.) With Chex Class, it would be corny and food based.)
CLASS: (Also obvious. Chex or Flemoid.)
TYPE: (Either Flemoid name or Chex Fighter/Chex Warrior/Chex Patrol etc)
STARTING PLACE: (Where you are at the beginning)
LEVEL: (How long you've been around and how many fights you've been in. An inexperienced rookie would be Lvl. 4, a veteran would be Lvl. 52.)
BATTLE SYLLABUS
AGRESS: (Basic attack. The level it has next to it shows how powerful it is. Lvl. 4 would be 1 damage. If not a multiple of 4, divide by 4 and round to be a whole number.)
AGRESS: (Same as previous, just kept for variety)
COMBAT OPERANDI: (Special attack. Used less then AGRESS. Damage is like AGRESS, except that Lvl. 3 would be 1 damage and not Lvl. 4.
ZORCH RAVE: (Ultra attack. You must collect an entire LAZ worth of ZORCH before you can use it. Lvl. 3 would be 1 damage, just like COMBAT OPERANDI.)
Health: (Obvious again. With a starter it is around 100 or so.)
Resistance: (A percentage of damage that is 'edged away'. Armor picked up increases it for a short time, say 4 posts.)

Here's an example- namely, my idea of a character!

HUB SYLLABUS
NAME: Test Subject 002 / Bipedicus Xplfrnt
CLASS: Flemoid
TYPE: Bipedicus
STARTING PLACE: Chex Lab, City Centre, Muncharia, Ralston (In a test tube in the central room)
LEVEL: Lvl. 22
BATTLE SYLLABUS
AGRESS: Lvl. 14- Spurt
AGRESS: Lvl. 11- Spray
COMBAT OPERANDI: Lvl. 18- Gobs of Goo
ZORCH RAVE: Lvl. 21- Fill 'em with slime
Health: 110
Resistance: 19%

This is what the posts would be like.

The Slimeinator: I pick a fight with the weakest flemoid in the room, a Bipedicus.

BATTLE SYLLABUS

AGRESS: Lvl. 5- Zapzapzap
AGRESS: Lvl. 7- Minizorcher
COMBAT OPERANDI: Lvl. 8- Large zorcher <
ZORCH RAVE: Lvl. 10- LAZ Device

The Bipedicus' health value is reduced to 106.

Zorchdude:
Xplfrnt is a coward! My Flemoid retreats to fight another day! Xplfrnt's SHAME bar is MAXED OUT! He is EXTREMELY VUNERABLE to VIOLENT MOOD SWINGS! Flemoids back away from him.

...or something. XD
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

The Green Avenger

Actually, I was thinking more of a story setup.  I'm a little busy right now, but when I have time, I'll post some rules, as well as my sample post.  We will have a character sheet or whatever you want to call it, but the action will be more freeform and less dictated by moves.  A bit more like writing a story, a bit less like playing a game. :D
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

ChexCommander

Good idea. A story form sounds much more fun.

Strife

I find that battle roleplays are needlessly complicated and often don't have much activity for that reason. I would much prefer a story roleplay that we can take at our own pace. ^_^ Plus it will give newcomers a better opportunity to jump in later after the story has already developed to some degree.

Once Green Avenger posts his rules, I would imagine we'd start making character bios, right? If that's the case, I think i'll only control one character in the beginning. From my past roleplaying experiences, i've found that having to watch over multiple characters multiplies the amount of posting you have to do in order for each character to be reasonably involved with the plot.

On a similar note, will there be "celebrity" characters such as Fred Chexter? If so, who controls them?

ZeldaGamer00

Quote from: Strife on April 13, 2009, 09:00:14 PMOn a similar note, will there be "celebrity" characters such as Fred Chexter? If so, who controls them?
I guess a rule could be made that'd be like one in another role-play topic I've ran into:
QuoteN/A or VACANT characters will be only described by the person whose character interacts with them...
I guess that nobody could get those who start with "celebrity" status, but their actions would be described by those who are interacting with them.

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5762-6755 (PM me if you add me)