Notiswas' Game Maker Chex Quest 4 has finally been uncovered!

Started by matthias720, April 27, 2009, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthias720

Now that the CQ Gallery is up and running, Manny Cav has released the newly uncovered Chex Quest 4!
I felt this occasion warranted a discussion thread and a link http://www.chexquest.org/chexquestgallery/downloads/#Chex_Quest_4
I hope this one is worthy of being included in all CQ related discussions to come.

P.S. Sorry Manny if I stole your thunder. :-[
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Manny Cav

You did not. ;) Make sure to read the listed tidbits if you need help! *pins*
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

arch129

When I saw that title my heart almost stopped. o_o  I was thinking Chuck was announcing CQ4, but after reading it now I see.
I'm glad that the Game Maker Chex Quest 4 was found. ^^  But can you please change the title a bit?

meh, I was expecting gzdoom  :(
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Manny Cav

Quote from: arch129 on April 27, 2009, 01:48:08 AM
When I saw that title my heart almost stopped. o_o  I was thinking Chuck was announcing CQ4, but after reading it now I see.
I'm glad that the Game Maker Chex Quest 4 was found. ^^  But can you please change the title a bit?
Nice to be dreaming big. :D Is the title good enough for you, now? :P I also revised the information on Chex Quest 4 for my website. There is a little glitch in the game that will sometimes mess up the Automatic Zorcher if you save and reload. I don't know what triggers the glitch, but it seems to have something to do with viewing the ending screen.

And finally, there's still the mystery of the cheat code that enables the Zorch Grenade, so if anyone knows anything about that, that'd be great,.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

matthias720

FYI for anyone interested, this game is a point-and-click game.  DO NOT ATTEMPT PLAY ON A LAPTOP WITHOUT A MOUSE!  Trust me, it's frustrating.  And for all the complaining about how lame it is, I thought is was a unique diversion.  True, the graphics leave much to be desired, but it makes for a different point-of-view on the CQ universe as a whole.  Try it; you might be surprised.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

ChexCommander

Not bad. It's different, but I think the time limit could be shortened a little. Other than that, it's something new. If you can call something Notiswas made years ago new.  :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

Quote from: matthias720 on April 27, 2009, 12:47:10 PM
FYI for anyone interested, this game is a point-and-click game.  DO NOT ATTEMPT PLAY ON A LAPTOP WITHOUT A MOUSE!  Trust me, it's frustrating.  And for all the complaining about how lame it is, I thought is was a unique diversion.  True, the graphics leave much to be desired, but it makes for a different point-of-view on the CQ universe as a whole.  Try it; you might be surprised.
This is all I had to complete it with. I found that the touchpad did a fair job as a sort of "tablet" that allowed me to take the cross hair where I needed it. Still, though, I found the game quite hard. It would have been murderous without save and load.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Chexy

So, um, what exactly is this? A fourth Chex Quest, or something else?

When you guys get all technical, my eyes glaze over. I just want to click, download, and play.

Of course, as you know, Manny, I even sometimes have trouble with that. Thanks again for the lengthy chat where you tried to solve my gameplay problems for Slimeinator's mod. After chatting with Slimeinator himself, he helped me figure it out, but hey, at least you got me to that point. ;)

Whatever the case may be, know that I am along for the ride! Chex Quest FTW! ;D

Sincerely,

Chexy
Sincerely,

Chexy

ChexCommander

Glad to see you're here.

Basically, that's all you really need to do. Click the link, download it, unrar it, and play.  ;)

It's not an official Chex Quest, but is really just a Game Maker game that Tyler "Notiswas" Wright made years ago when he was eager for a new version of Chex Quest. He thought he'd make his own, and this is what became of it.

As for the whole mouse/touchpad thing....the game seemed tremendously easy when using a mouse, so it might be better if I played it on my laptop.  :D

Richie

I have a fond memory of breaking my mouse because of this game.  It was the constant clicking.

For new members who don't know the back story behind this game, the following topic tells it.  http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=641.0

Chexy

Quote from: ChexCommander on April 27, 2009, 05:21:24 PM
Glad to see you're here.

Basically, that's all you really need to do. Click the link, download it, unrar it, and play.  ;)

How do you "unrar" something? I've never done something like that before. Is it like WinZip, only with pieces of files?

Sincerely,

Chexy
Sincerely,

Chexy

Manny Cav

Quote from: Chexy on April 27, 2009, 10:39:03 PM
How do you "unrar" something? I've never done something like that before. Is it like WinZip, only with pieces of files?
You do it with WinRAR or any other archive handling program that can unzip RAR files. ;)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 27, 2009, 10:45:10 PM
Quote from: Chexy on April 27, 2009, 10:39:03 PM
You do it with WinRAR or any other archive handling program that can unzip RAR files. ;)

Manny nailed it, just use WinRAR. RARs are basically the same thing as zip files only using a different compression (storage) method. They're usually smaller in proportion to zips.

Dacicus

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 27, 2009, 10:30:29 AM
And finally, there's still the mystery of the cheat code that enables the Zorch Grenade, so if anyone knows anything about that, that'd be great,.

It's possible to edit the game code to some degree using a hex editor on the gmd (or whatever extension it is) file that gets installed along with the executable. I've tried searching for the code this way, but I wasn't sure if I was just looking for a string or a key combination (maybe Notiswas remembers?), so I didn't make much progress. Maybe you one of you guys has more time to put into such a search...