Boingo and TUCQ Appreciation Thread

Started by Chukker, April 29, 2009, 08:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Slimeinator

Stay away from Legacy. FAR AWAY. You would never possibly be able to put all the Chex Quest 3 stuff into Legacy, even with DeHackEd.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

ChexCommander

I reckon Slime would know, seeing as his first mod used Legacy and he soon switched over. Now he's got like 6 mods going in GZDoom.  ;D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

xbolt

Quote from: The Slimeinator on May 05, 2009, 07:27:06 PM
Stay away from Legacy. FAR AWAY. You would never possibly be able to put all the Chex Quest 3 stuff into Legacy, even with DeHackEd.

You know, Legacy is a lot better than you people give it credit for. In all honesty, I like it better than CheezyDoom.

Manny Cav

I'm not saying Legacy is bad, but that it's bad for this situation. Chex Quest 3 has already been made for ZDoom. It has a custom ZDoom engine. Chex Quest 3 IWAD support has already been built into the ZDoom and GZDoom ports themselves. Legacy nearly fragged Chex Quest 3 with the dreaded E1M5 bug. Therefore, I think that holding with the current source port (or advancing to GZDoom, but Chukker has already stated he has no desire to up from ZDoom to GZDoom) is the best course of action.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

xbolt

I wasn't saying to move CQ3 to Legacy, I know there's little point in doing that.

I'm saying that I don't like people dissing Legacy when it's a fine port in its own right. (Look at what I got Newmaps to do, or any of the other great Legacy WADs I can name.)

Manny Cav

Well, I think it has a good point or two, but let's not turn this into a GZDoom vs. Legacy topic. The people here easily get riled up for some strange reason when that gets brought up. We're discussing and appreciating the discontinued TUCQ, and discussing the future of Chex Quest 3.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Manny's taken charge! O_o (Sorry, I'm just being stupid if that annoys you Manny.)

IDK, I think it'll get stuck at E2M1's cafe. You could make a bunch of linedefs to make the diner seats (The stools, not the seats, well they are seats... Any way the seats that were originally there.) Have the 20 thousand (Not actually 20 thou, I know some of you would think that) be filled with both sided middle texture that would be the black seat part from the sprite.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Quote from: xbolt on May 06, 2009, 12:06:16 AM
Quote from: The Slimeinator on May 05, 2009, 07:27:06 PM

You know, Legacy is a lot better than you people give it credit for. In all honesty, I like it better than CheezyDoom.

Oh, I've got no problem with it, and it does seem quite classic to me, but I just hate the interface, is all.  And usability/style are two things you have to consider in a program. Consider the popularity of Macs, for example.

Okay, back on topic...what would be the first thing to be changed to help make "CQ3: TUCQ Expanded Edition?"  ;D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Replica

Actually, I had PMed Chukker some of my idea. He said he's working on something else that's consuming his time, but he'll get back to CQ3 when that's out of his way. Any way, most of the add-ons are legacy specific.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

"Most of the add-ons are legacy specific"? What are you referring to? ???
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Well, the main thing I'd say is 3D floors. (I'm not saying 3D floors are only in Legacy.) I'm saying that CQ3 doesn't have some powers as legacy.

Chukker

My intent is primarily to incorporate more of the big-picture improvements and ideas, not necessarily all of the specific 3D sector details in the entire project. The complex 3D sector base plates and crown moldings used throughout the landing zone for example seem like tons of work for not much visual impact. There are curvy doorframes added in places that seem like more work than they are worth. On the other hand adding the windows to the arboretum, the exterior of the museum and the control tower to the spaceport are big impact improvements which can be implemented in any of the ports.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Replica on May 06, 2009, 09:46:47 PM
Well, the main thing I'd say is 3D floors. (I'm not saying 3D floors are only in Legacy.) I'm saying that CQ3 doesn't have some powers as legacy.
Ah. You are referring to the TUCQ features.
Quote from: Chukker on May 06, 2009, 09:56:39 PM
My intent is primarily to incorporate more of the big-picture improvements and ideas, not necessarily all of the specific 3D sector details in the entire project. The complex 3D sector base plates and crown moldings used throughout the landing zone for example seem like tons of work for not much visual impact. There are curvy doorframes added in places that seem like more work than they are worth. On the other hand adding the windows to the arboretum, the exterior of the museum and the control tower to the spaceport are big impact improvements which can be implemented in any of the ports.
It's those small visual impacts that add up, though. All of those little things added up to make TUCQ a great mod.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

The complex molding on the walls isn't that hard to attain...You dont get the exact same detail, but you can add a jutted out bottom and top aligned to the texture to give it a little depth. Not exactly TUCQ, but in the same idea (just a little more detail)

The windows in E1M4 (and even the beams) can be done...except for the top ones. Since you dont have transparent 3d floors, it would hafta be via some other method. but even side windows would be better.

The stools need some work in E2M1. They seem too high in their sprite form, but if you shorten them, you'd hafta shorten their bounding box. (though this doesn't matter if you keep the old style control scheme NO JUMPING!) and the tables can be done with the bridge things and some clever mapping with middle textures (though it will look nothing like TUCQ)

Actually, there is a project called KDiKDiZD, which aims to port Knee-Deep in ZDoom to the original doom2 engine. They have some convincing 3d effects created using glitches that over draws a visplane, then cuts it short to fit the desired area. if you dont look up and down, the effect holds...however, I have NO idea how this happens or how to create it...and actually I think the project is dead...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Super Chex

Gzdoom DOES have overlapping sectors. I managed to make an almost photo-real 4-story building in gzdoom.

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 06, 2009, 10:45:41 PM
The complex molding on the walls isn't that hard to attain...You dont get the exact same detail, but you can add a jutted out bottom and top aligned to the texture to give it a little depth. Not exactly TUCQ, but in the same idea (just a little more detail)

The windows in E1M4 (and even the beams) can be done...except for the top ones. Since you dont have transparent 3d floors, it would hafta be via some other method. but even side windows would be better.

The stools need some work in E2M1. They seem too high in their sprite form, but if you shorten them, you'd hafta shorten their bounding box. (though this doesn't matter if you keep the old style control scheme NO JUMPING!) and the tables can be done with the bridge things and some clever mapping with middle textures (though it will look nothing like TUCQ)

Actually, there is a project called KDiKDiZD, which aims to port Knee-Deep in ZDoom to the original doom2 engine. They have some convincing 3d effects created using glitches that over draws a visplane, then cuts it short to fit the desired area. if you dont look up and down, the effect holds...however, I have NO idea how this happens or how to create it...and actually I think the project is dead...

Why do that? GZDoom fully supports legacy style 3d sectors (with overlapping!) . There's no need to remap all of TUCQ over again!
:D :p