Boingo and TUCQ Appreciation Thread

Started by Chukker, April 29, 2009, 08:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

Actually, Chukker has stated that he doesn't wish to switch to GZDoom, but continue to use ZDoom (without the G). The question is not if GZDoom has overlapping sectors, but if ZDoom does.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

No, but it has a fake way to do so! One that requires two "Things".
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

Wait, I think I know where replica is going...Polyobjects. If so, I'm not sure that it would handle that many so well...but if not, then i'm wondering...

EDIT: if you're talkin about Stacked Sectors, it wont work.
this is one of those tricks I was talking about, about extending a visplane and cutting it out, but this one has objects to make it happen deliberately. and evidence against using it =
Quote from: ZDoom Wiki
It's best to use them sparingly and not attempt to use them as often as, for instance, Legacy's 3D floors (which are not a portal trick).

And I'd like to see how it looks, actually. but I dont get the method :\
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Replica

I was thinking this could be used for the City streets.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

ChexCommander

I like city levels. Changes to the City level would be nice.

Super Chex, nice avatar!
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

wait, tables? He said City Streets (E2M4)...but where? There's only 2 places that had major improvements with 3d floor over floor, and that was the slime pit and the bridge to the red key. But those could be done w/o. The major need would be the tables in E2M1. The rest can be achieved, though in a slightly watered down fashion, with simple tricks that could be done in the original EXE.

Replica

Atariangamer

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The molding, as I said earlier, cant be done in full Legacy detail, its too much. You can do a simple extra sector around the wall and raise the floor and lower the ceiling so that you have a little relief to distinguish between them.

The windows in E1M4 cant be achieved on the ceiling, but if you leave it open, why not make it all open, zero windows? That'll be for Chukker to decide.

E2M1's tables can be done with your stacked sectors thing, especially since its one map in little usage. The things in the skybox can be greatly improved, even having ships fly over (though since everyone is slimed, it makes no sense)

E2M4's 3d effects were rather large, so I'm not so sure they can be simulated. All obvious options won't look so good for professional use.

I'm not sure episode 3 needs 3d sectors, but if Chukker wants good looking stuff, he could find out how to do it.

Replica

...The molding? What molding are you referring to? You mean all the detail to the bridge like thing on E2M4? That's really possible to do, I'm not sure why you're against the stacking floors thing.

With the stacking sectors they can be. When the bottom and top of the two sectors are over lapping, it makes it transparent. :P If he doesn't what to do that, he could always make a new flat that space with a white line through it.

The thing in TUCQ wasn't a sky box, he made a sector around (I mean huge sector) the whole map, and then built the buildings in that. I agree, the tables can be done like that. So can the stools.

Super Chex

Quote from: ChexCommander on May 08, 2009, 08:39:57 PM
I like city levels. Changes to the City level would be nice.

Super Chex, nice avatar!

LoL! Thanks! I made it myself using GIMP. I also did a remake of the original chex quest icon.
:D :p

Super Chex

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 09, 2009, 06:14:11 PM
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The molding, as I said earlier, cant be done in full Legacy detail, its too much. You can do a simple extra sector around the wall and raise the floor and lower the ceiling so that you have a little relief to distinguish between them.

The windows in E1M4 cant be achieved on the ceiling, but if you leave it open, why not make it all open, zero windows? That'll be for Chukker to decide.

E2M1's tables can be done with your stacked sectors thing, especially since its one map in little usage. The things in the skybox can be greatly improved, even having ships fly over (though since everyone is slimed, it makes no sense)

E2M4's 3d effects were rather large, so I'm not so sure they can be simulated. All obvious options won't look so good for professional use.

I'm not sure episode 3 needs 3d sectors, but if Chukker wants good looking stuff, he could find out how to do it.

Actually, you CAN do the cieling glass. Simply create a slightly opaque plane portal with the secondary sector having the F_SKY1 flat on it.

As for the bridge on E2M4 you could make some short textures and put use them as middle textures in a grid-like pattern. then you make the outside lines impassible and put bridge objects inside your bridges "floor".

OH CRAP!!! I accidentally double posted!

Atariangamer

Quote from: Super Chex on May 10, 2009, 07:03:39 PM
Actually, you CAN do the cieling[sic] glass. Simply create a slightly opaque plane portal with the secondary sector having the F_SKY1 flat on it.
So 'plane portal' is the correct term? and how on earth do you create slightly opaque ones? (other than a grid of grey and transparent pixels)

As for the bridge on E2M4 you could make some short textures and put use them as middle textures in a grid-like pattern. then you make the outside lines impassible and put bridge objects inside your bridges "floor".
But this looks kinda bad. what type of bridge has holes in it? I know usually it wouldn't matter, but I think its kind of a cheap trick not suited for a detail oriented game, IMHO.

Manny Cav

My two cents.

When the TUCQ detailing reaches the point to where we have to use "gimmicks," abuse glitches, etc., instead of using actual features, I think it stops being worth it at that point.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Super Chex

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 10, 2009, 10:02:01 PM
Actually, you CAN do the cieling[sic] glass. Simply create a slightly opaque plane portal with the secondary sector having the F_SKY1 flat on it.
So 'plane portal' is the correct term? and how on earth do you create slightly opaque ones? (other than a grid of grey and transparent pixels)

But this looks kinda bad. what type of bridge has holes in it? I know usually it wouldn't matter, but I think its kind of a cheap trick not suited for a detail oriented game, IMHO.

There is a plane portal (or something like that) go to the zdoom wiki.