Boingo and TUCQ Appreciation Thread

Started by Chukker, April 29, 2009, 08:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replica

GZDoom has full compatibility for CQ3 Manny. ;)
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

I know that. But see, Chukker's custom engine is based off of the ZDoom source, not the GZDoom source. He'd have to take the changes he made to the ZDoom source and manually port them over to GZDoom (unless there's some automatic option that I'm not aware of).
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

... No, Graf had already done that. All chukker would need to do is rename the engine.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 03, 2009, 10:03:12 PM
There was other stuff there, I'll wager. He didn't just up and quit Chex Quest for no reason.

Well, my post and the history of CQFF list a couple reasons that could've caused it.

I'm ready for anything new in the world of CQ. Shoot for the stars.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Chukker

Personally I have no desire to go to GZDoom. I like the retro appearance of ZDoom. The pixelated graphics and obnoxious rotating sprites are part of the charm of Doom and its derivatives. I think when you start putting features like hardware-accelerated rendering, 3D model support, 24-bit textures and such to Doom, you are adding all the features of modern engines but suffer from having to use archiac tools and sector-based level design. I think at that point you should just upgrade to something else. I think a Chex-themed modern FPS could be pulled off if you found an acceptable toon shader. Sort of how Team Fortress 2 looks, but taken even further.

ChexCommander

Oh man, that would be sweet! If Wiweeyum added a cartoon shader, VioFlem would own!  :)

That's very true, Chukker. It's like you're trying to make a modern game, but the limitations of the original game hold you back.  Using ZDoom kinda keeps the original feel of CQ, but allows you to add new ideas to it.  So hey, I don't care what happens as long as something happens. Go for it.  :)

Manny Cav

Like I said before, ZDoom over GZDoom is quite fine with me.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

I'd plug Legacy with its ability to do Software 3D rendering, but it seems that is not good enough.

However...you have at least 2 people good at Fragglescripting and one at Legacy mapping...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

If you'll recall, Legacy was quite a roadblock for Chex Quest 3. Details can be found in the conversation here. If Chukker were to run to Legacy, the whole Chex Quest 3 source, WAD, and everything would have to be ported.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

You cannot port CQ3's decorate things to Legacy. (With Dehacked... but that's a little hard core.)

Atariangamer

Maybe we could fix the bug, and y'all know Xbolt knows DEHACKED...It would take some work, but it would be doable.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Mainly the only thing I dislike about Legacy is the way you run it. You have to open up the box, select the IWAD, go to Single Map, choose the Map and stuff, and it takes forever sometimes.  And I hate having to press End Game when I want a new episode.  G/ZDoom just seems so much easier with drag-and-drop.

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

Part of me just died.

I need to check back here more often.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 05, 2009, 04:33:50 PM
Maybe we could fix the bug, and y'all know Xbolt knows DEHACKED...It would take some work, but it would be doable.

Then we'd have to tell the folks at Legacy that they need to add Chex Quest 3 support to their engine, and that the folks at ZDoom/GZDoom wasted their time putting Chex Quest 3 support into their engines. My point: The Chex Quest 3 support is already built right into ZDoom and GZDoom. It would be silly to go anywhere else. Besides, ZDoom, should Chukker choose not to go the route of GZDoom (and he implied he won't), still offers plenty of space to beautify and touch up levels. Word on the street is that Knee-Deep in ZDoom is a knock-out mod.

EDIT: Wait a minute:
Quote from: Chukker on May 04, 2009, 03:28:51 PM
Personally I have no desire to go to GZDoom. I like the retro appearance of ZDoom. The pixelated graphics and obnoxious rotating sprites are part of the charm of Doom and its derivatives. I think when you start putting features like hardware-accelerated rendering, 3D model support, 24-bit textures and such to Doom, you are adding all the features of modern engines but suffer from having to use archiac tools and sector-based level design. I think at that point you should just upgrade to something else. I think a Chex-themed modern FPS could be pulled off if you found an acceptable toon shader. Sort of how Team Fortress 2 looks, but taken even further.
You don't have to choose OpenGL (a common hardware render) in the graphics options, nor do you have to add models or high-quality textures. You could just use the GZDoom features that allow you to use 3D sectors and other things so you could port over TUCQ's changes more easily.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

I still have yet to play that due to my procrastination of downloading something with that file size.