Chex Quest 3 is now available for download!!!

Started by Chukker, September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Ventris

I like how it is, with refined and fixed original levels.

Perhaps do a KDIZD version of CQ some time. :D

Zorchdude

The most I ask of you is an eventual sequel (With new flemoids, but take your time) and for the zorch animations of the more common flemoids to be extended like Boingo did.
PS: Chukker, do you play many mods?
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Replica

Quote from: Chukker on September 12, 2008, 08:18:56 PM
Other than fixing the bugs to CQ3, I don't have any set plans for more work in the Chex universe. It was fun revisiting it, however. If I do decide to make more, it wouldn't be until after the holidays at the earliest. Anyone have a clear idea what the status of TUCQ is? Seems like progress has slowed with Boingo's available time and competing projects. There's much that is really great about the changes made to the original levels in the Ultimate Chex Quest. Would people want to see those changes integrated into CQ3? Assuming Boingo was okay with that of course. Or do people prefer having CQ3 having the old levels and TUCQ being as its name implies, the "ultimate" version of the game with all bells and whistles, especially now that it is being ported to GZDoom.
Thats good enough for me. :)

Just one other question, do you happen to know how to make models?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Graf Zahl

As promised, here's a CQ3 version that's compatible with a regular zdoom/gzdoom.exe (ZDoom SVN revision 1219 and higher.)
I included my latest build for convenience because the current SVN builds are not yet up to date. This will also work with GZDoom once I update it to the latest ZDoom code which should be tomorrow.

LINK

Chukker

Thanks for doing this Graf. I know everyone will be pleased to have a much more mod-friendly verison of CQ3.

Graf Zahl

I'm sorry but a serious bug was still in there. Here's a fixed version of the IWAD:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GR15AG20

RiffRaff1138

I found and fixed a few more, relatively minor problems:

1. In the DECORATE definitions in zdoom.pk3, the Large Zorcher Pack pickup message definition was missing the $ sign, so it would display ingame as "GOTLARGEZORCHERPACK".

2. The barriers on the semicircular walkways in E3M1 were low enough to jump over.

3. The locked doors in E3M2 weren't assigned keys.

4. A few misaligned and one misplaced texture in E3M2. I know there's more misaligned textures, but I felt like they could be excused. These particular ones were just really glaring errors.

Here's the fixed version.

Graf Zahl

Here's another one: I forgot to alter one actor that is different between CQ and CQ3:

Please add this to the IWAD's DECORATE lump:

actor PropulsorMissileV3 : PropulsorMissile replaces PropulsorMissile
{
donthurtshooter
}

Enjay

Firstly, hello there.  My "name" is Enjay but I know that a few people here know me already.  Secondly, I'm really enjoying Chex3.  Chex has always been a strange and interesting chapter in Doom history and I really like what has been done for this third instalment.

Over at the Zdoom forums I mentioned a few bugs that I had spotted and asked that they be relayed over here.  Seeing as how the release is obviously being revised to repair some bugs, it makes sense to try and catch as many as possible before an official re-release.  I believe that Captain Ventris has already relayed the message, but here it is again:

Quote from: over at Zdoom EnjayIn E3M3 right by the exit line there is a nasty unclosed sector which causes flat-bleeding and looks ugly.

In E3M5 line 508 opens a door but it is only single use.  It needs to be repeatable or else you can get stuck in that room.
Also in E3M5, lines 264, 267 and 268 activate a raising lift.  When the lift rises, these lines need a lower tex, but they don't have one so you see a big HOM if you step off the lift.

And whilst I'm reporting bugs, there is one that has persisted since the original cereal-box release - when viewed side on, the rockets fly backwards.  Very obvious if you are strafing around a big-bad-guy.  The rockets fly "flame first".  This is because of the naming convention used for them.  To fix it, either the offending sprites need to be reversed, or renamed.

The sprites are:

MISLA8A2
MISLA7A3
MISLA6A4

For those of you familiar enough with Doom editing to recognise it, you will notice that these names are not the usual way around.  For some reason, id did this with some projectiles (but it doesn't have to be that way).  The problem is that if the name is reversed then the graphic needs to point the opposite way to normal too and that hasn't been done with these graphics.  So, as I said, the graphics should either be flipped in the X direction and then re-imported into the wad (with suitable offsets) or simply renaming them to the following should do the trick.

MISLA8A2 ---> MISLA2A8
MISLA7A3 ---> MISLA3A7
MISLA6A4 ---> MISLA4A6

Enjay

Also, quite a few of the sounds have an annoying audible click at the end.  The pickup sound springs to mind, but there are others.  I know that in the "good old days" the program for sticking sounds into WADs called DMAUD would often add a click to the end of a file.  I wonder if this is a legacy of that?

Anyway, it would be nice if these things were cleaned up too.  These bugs are all things I could easily fix myself, and I would be happy to do so.  However, I wouldn't do them without an official OK and instructions as to how to proceed.

Enjay

And more.  When you go to E3M4 you get the following message at the console:

e3m4 - Provincial Park

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLEM02"
Unknown texture: "CRATER03"

These textures are used in the map, but do not exist.  Again, a pretty east fix.  And I also discovered that there is more than one problematic unclosed sector in E3M3.  I'm fixing up my own copy and if people want it uploaded, let me know.

Enjay

OK, so if people want it, I have a WAD with the following changes.

Maps E1M3, E1M5, E2M5, E3M1, E3M2, E3M3, E3M4, E3M5 all edited to remove bugs flagged up by DeePsea's error checker.  Most edits would never even be noticed, but the maps now get a clean bill of health.

Missile graphic reversed.

About 20 sounds edited to remove clicks at the end.

Map header changed to IWAD instead of PWAD.

Question: Is the only way to get the blue key on E3M3 to jump?  It seems to me that you have to go out onto a balcony that overlooks the courtyard, then jump into the courtyard over the wall of the balcony.  It could just be me, but I don't see any other way of getting to the blue key.  I'm just asking because I can't think of any where else that jumping is actually required.

The Slimeinator

Sounds good! (Except for the quadruple post)

And, welcome, Enjay.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Blzut3

Quote from: Enjay on September 14, 2008, 06:59:46 AMAnd whilst I'm reporting bugs, there is one that has persisted since the original cereal-box release - when viewed side on, the rockets fly backwards.
That isn't the only thing that moves in the wrong direction.  I think the Flemoidus Maximus moon walks.

Enjay

Quote from: Blzut3 on September 14, 2008, 12:45:52 PM
That isn't the only thing that moves in the wrong direction.  I think the Flemoidus Maximus moon walks.
It does?  I'll see if I can fix that as well.  All I have to do is figure out which one is the Flemoidius Maximus. :lol:

[edit] Yes, quite right, the BOSS* frames are back to front.  I'll fix them too [/edit]
[edit2] And done.  Problem frames reversed and re-inserted into the WAD with appropriate offsets. [/edit2]

And sorry about the quadruple post. :oops:

Any idea about the blue key in E3M3?  I've looked in the editor and whilst playing.  The only way I can see to get it is to jump over the balcony barrier.  This doesn't seem right to me.  There are a couple of possible ways to address this but if it is intended, then I guess I shouldn't change it.