Chex Quest 3 is now available for download!!!

Started by Chukker, September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

The Slimeinator

Technically, the "original" doom monsters were the ones in the shareware, as that came out first. And Doom 2 monsters are original.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Atariangamer

But shareware was just one episode, and it didn't technically come first...it was just the only free thing. Original doom refers to the 3 episode DooM of which a shareware was released to gain popularity and attention that would hopefully make you buy it. This Monster list includes

Possesed
Sergeant
Demon
Imp
Bruiser
Cacodemon
Cyberdemon
Lost soul and
Spider Mastermind

DooM 2 added
Archvile
Pain elemental
SpiderDemon
Revenant
Chaingunner
mancubus
Knight
and John Romero's head on a stick XD

(and if you say ANYTHING about me missing one...do it nicely, plz?)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

arch129

Quote from: Atariangamer on September 07, 2008, 05:38:42 PM
But shareware was just one episode, and it didn't technically come first...it was just the only free thing. Original doom refers to the 3 episode DooM of which a shareware was released to gain popularity and attention that would hopefully make you buy it. This Monster list includes

Possesed
Sergeant
Demon
Imp
Bruiser
Cacodemon
Lost soul and
Spider Mastermind

DooM 2 added
Archvile
Pain elemental
SpiderDemon
Revenant
Chaingunner
mancubus
Knight

You frogot the cyberdemon! :O

The Slimeinator

The Shareware was the first version of Doom ever released. It was released on a server at a university.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

Quote from: Replica on September 07, 2008, 02:49:27 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav on September 07, 2008, 10:06:45 AM
Also, to dig up an old issues, throughout the readme and the in-game text itself, the cacodemon replacement is consistently referred to as the Super Cycloptis. I think the issue on what the cacodemon replacement is named is forever settled, and that that new silly name that we came up with should be dropped off of the face of the earth. >:D

Wich one? I agree if you mean Super cycloptis. >:D
I, of course, mean that silly name, "Flemoidus Cycloptis Ultricus". All of the text strings, like when you get slimed by the Super Cycloptis, the Doom II gallery text, and even the readme say Super Cycloptis, so there can be no doubt anymore what the official name is. You don't question Chukker's name, do you? :-\

Anyway, I found a couple of other things. The new switch system in E1M2 for the 3 "hidden switches" is a little messed up. they don't open the right doors, and one doesn't open at all. :-\

Also, in E3M1, there is a little problem with a door at the end of the red flashing area. If you open it, but don't go in and it closes, you can't open it again from the red room, which makes the red key impossible to get without cheating.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Josh

Possesed
Sergeant
Demon
Imp
Bruiser
Cacodemon
Lost soul and
Spider Mastermind

DooM 2 added
Archvile
Pain elemental
SpiderDemon
Revenant
Chaingunner
mancubus
Knight

im makeing a flemiod basted of the Spider Mastermind in my mod

Chukker

If somebody has some time and is industrious enough, it would be nice to get these bugs and other feedback compiled somewhere I can easily reference it. It could be a post in the tech support section or a wiki page. Some of them, like the lock assignments on E3M2, I will try to correct soon enough.

Zorchdude

Possesed
Sergeant
Demon
Imp
Bruiser
Cacodemon
Cyberdemon
Lost soul and
Spider Mastermind

DooM 2 added
Archvile
Pain elemental
SpiderDemon
Revenant
Chaingunner
mancubus
Knight

Isn't the Spiderdemon just another name for the Spidermastermind? It's not a new monster...

Anyways, I've done some thinking about the lost soul replacement and I think I like it... but not as a lost soul replacement, as a DECORATE 'Slime Bomb'.
I also SERIOUSLY had EPIC LULZ when I saw the 'Shreddies Provincial park' and made it look like english countryside... Only English people would get this joke. I salute you, Chukker!
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Loremaster

Chukker, that was incredible. The first level was sorta slow, and I was worried that the rest of the game would be that way. However, by the third level, the action was so intense I was actually sweating! You have outdone yourself, I must say!

The attention to detail and atmosphere in those levels was incredible. The new flemoids were all very intense [Stridicus gave me particular grief with how fast that thing is!]

Perhaps my ONLY complaint is that there is a continual shortage of Ammunition on Easy Does It. Either that, or I am just trigger happy [the latter is most likely the case]

Either way, I just spent the last two hours of my life having one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had in years. Good Job does not adequately describe the work you have done.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

yea-yah! But dont worry lore...either its an ammo shortage or I"M trigger happy (but I played on the 3rd setting).
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Blzut3

Quote from: ReadmeI grabbed the source code for ZDoom and downloaded Visual Studio Express Edition and Windows software SDK. I set a goal for myself to compile a geniune Chex3.exe for this mod.

:( I guess I'm unable to play it then (I use Linux).

Edit: Was the zdoom.pk3 modified?

The Green Avenger

Well, the ammo shortage makes it interesting.  You have to be conservative or invent ways to get through.  If you're good at using a spoon, try taking out all communuses with it.  Then move on to cycloptisus.  If you're feeling daring try the beppies.  You can save ammo this way, and that's how I beat it on Extreme Ooze.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Loremaster on September 08, 2008, 05:05:55 AM
Perhaps my ONLY complaint is that there is a continual shortage of Ammunition on Easy Does It. Either that, or I am just trigger happy [the latter is most likely the case]
I found myself quite short ammo on the first level and had to use my Bootspoon against some BWAs and some others around the beginning of the level, but I didn't have to do it past the first portion of the first level after I found some good packs. I carefully budgeted between the Large Zorcher, the Rapid Zorcher, the Propulsor (by the way, MUCH more practical with the splash damage removed), and the LAZ Device under certain situations.

I also noted that the Propulsor explosion sound was changed to that of the LAZ Device. What's up with that?

EDIT: Yes, the PK3 was edited. The language.enu file is evidence of that.

Possesed
Sergeant
Demon
Imp
Bruiser
Cacodemon
Cyberdemon
Lost soul and
Spider Mastermind

DooM 2 added
Archvile
Pain elemental
SpiderDemon
Revenant
Chaingunner
mancubus
Knight

Like Zorchdude said, you duplicated the spider mastermind, but you also forgot the arachnotron. Honestly, just go to this Doom Wiki page for a complete monster list.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010