Chex Quest 3 is now available for download!!!

Started by Chukker, September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabara

I have downloaded it, but the school computer does not want to extract the darn zip!  I will keep on trying!

EDIT:  I have tryed it, but not beat it. 

IT.  EPICCLY.  WINS!!!!!!!!!

TheMasterOfBattle

If the computer can't extract it, try downloading 7-Zip, it can extract most compressed file types including .zip, .7z, .tar, and .rar

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Atariangamer on September 10, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
Hey, Graf Zahl! Welcome to the forums! (even if its only for this ;)) And I dont think you need an introduction.

Hmm...He made some text changes, some episode progression changes, and a few other things to gain CHEX.exe emulation...but has a few mistakes we're trying to list out to him. And actually...I think merging it with (G)ZDooM would be a bit hard. all of his decorate, decals, and the like are in zdoom.pk3, not in the wad...It could be possible to extract the changes from the zdoom.pk3 and place them in the wad, supplying us with a DECORATE lump...but looking at the patches of DECORATE here...wow. Hes done a great deal of editing all the DooM txts into his own things. All enemies shoot custom damage of FLEM, and he's changed the simple ones into mele attacks. so...it'd take a while to get a single DECORATE lump when hes edited most everything...

The DECORATE definitions are the least of my worries. With a little tinkering that is all doable - although I will have to rename the actors so that they don't collide with Doom's original names.

If you look at the latest ZDoom SVN code you will see that we already added support for the original CHEX.WAD, although it still needs some work (some of which CHEX3 already has done.) I don't know yet how much of the definitions can be used for both WADs yet. It will probably require some additional work to put it all together in one file.

The biggest conflict I see is that the Flembrane's definition is different between both WADs so that will probably need some hacking to get it correct for both.

But to be honest, most of the changes to zdoom.pk3 would have better been placed in the IWAD itself to avoid problems. If you had done this ZDoom probably would have been able to load it as it is.

TheMasterOfBattle

hehe, I was wondering what you had posted Kuwabara when I finally realized that you edited your previous post. XD

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Replica

Quote from: Graf Zahl on September 10, 2008, 01:49:48 PM
Quote from: Atariangamer on September 10, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
Hey, Graf Zahl! Welcome to the forums! (even if its only for this ;)) And I dont think you need an introduction.

Hmm...He made some text changes, some episode progression changes, and a few other things to gain CHEX.exe emulation...but has a few mistakes we're trying to list out to him. And actually...I think merging it with (G)ZDooM would be a bit hard. all of his decorate, decals, and the like are in zdoom.pk3, not in the wad...It could be possible to extract the changes from the zdoom.pk3 and place them in the wad, supplying us with a DECORATE lump...but looking at the patches of DECORATE here...wow. Hes done a great deal of editing all the DooM txts into his own things. All enemies shoot custom damage of FLEM, and he's changed the simple ones into mele attacks. so...it'd take a while to get a single DECORATE lump when hes edited most everything...

The DECORATE definitions are the least of my worries. With a little tinkering that is all doable - although I will have to rename the actors so that they don't collide with Doom's original names.

If you look at the latest ZDoom SVN code you will see that we already added support for the original CHEX.WAD, although it still needs some work (some of which CHEX3 already has done.) I don't know yet how much of the definitions can be used for both WADs yet. It will probably require some additional work to put it all together in one file.

The biggest conflict I see is that the Flembrane's definition is different between both WADs so that will probably need some hacking to get it correct for both.

But to be honest, most of the changes to zdoom.pk3 would have better been placed in the IWAD itself to avoid problems. If you had done this ZDoom probably would have been able to load it as it is.

If I have read this right, then why not make the flembrane just like it was supposed to be in the original game? I'm sure chucker was trying to imatate it as much as he could. You would just make it closer then he was.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Graf Zahl

You misunderstand. What I mean is that the way the Flembrane is defined here is not compatible with the original Chex.wad. It has both a different editor number and different sprite names.

Zorchdude

If I could possibly help, why not possibly have TWO IWAD definitions? A Chex Quest 1/2 one, and a Chex Quest 3 one. It's like DooM I and II. :P
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Zorchdude on September 10, 2008, 03:18:00 PM
If I could possibly help, why not possibly have TWO IWAD definitions? A Chex Quest 1/2 one, and a Chex Quest 3 one. It's like DooM I and II. :P

That will be necessary anyway. But unlike Doom the contents are not compatible.

Atariangamer

But if you notice, Chex Quest 3 is a three episode version of DooM. It contains all 3 episodes of CQ, 1, 2, and the new 3. The original CQ changed nothing, just replaced sprites and did minor edits to code. This simulates those changes, replaces sprites, then also creates new sprites/objects, and does more.

About the DECORATE in the IWAD...I was wondering the same thing, but the full engine felt cool. It is possible to compress it into an IWAD, tho...

EDIT: sorry, that was in reply to ZorchDude's post...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Graf Zahl

Here's an important question: If I could clean up the resource organization a little would you be interested in a re-release?

There's a few problems with this that could cause problems when run with standard ZDoom and GZDoom:

1. There's still some FraggleScripts left in 3 maps. This could cause confusion when run with GZDoom although they don't do anything critical.
2. Since I need to rename all actors for inclusion in ZDoom this could cause incompatibilities with the accompanying EXE in case someone wants to define custom content based on it.
3. I noticed that the meaning of some code pointers was changed. Again this would cause problems with DECORATE additions.

All of these issues can be resolved easily without causing incompatibilities with your own EXE.

Plus,  I found one (rather amusing) bug:

If you switch blood to particles they are still beautifully red! :D

The Green Avenger

I finally decided to run through the original levels, and I love what you did to the cinema!  Nice one.  Also, I noticed that the old 'The Mission Continues' screen has been changed to read www.chexquest.org.  Awesome!  :D
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

Hmm, I would be VERY interested in a re-release...not only for reorginization (for use outside of our engine), but maybe chuck could get some of the bugs fixed. And that list...I would think its alrite, but ask Chuck before you do much...He might not agree (but why wouldn't he?). Hmm...and the blood bug is funny, but AFAIK hard to change...but I could be wrong.

and @ TGA: ORLY? WOW! I didn't notice that...

OFFTOPIC: "The strongest phrase you can ever have is 'I could be wrong.'"

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Atariangamer on September 10, 2008, 05:15:20 PM
Hmm...and the blood bug is funny, but AFAIK hard to change...but I could be wrong.

Not really, if you know what needs to be changed. The latest development version of ZDoom already supports the original Chex Quest as an IWAD and all blood in there is green.

Atariangamer

Ah! My only problem...I lack space for the compiler, and my last few attempts failed, so...
Basically, we're now waiting for confirmation from Chuck on this...but you got my support.

Chukker

Anything Graf wants to do to make Chex 3 more extensible sounds great to me. Hard for me to tell him what he can and can't do with code that he created and I basically just threw some wrenches into.