Chex Quest 3 is now available for download!!!

Started by Chukker, September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Atariangamer on September 10, 2008, 06:40:56 PM
...well there you have it! XD

Good to hear! :) I'll have a closer look over the weekend. I can say right now that most issues can simply be resolved by moving some contents out of zdoom.pk3 into the IWAD. The biggest pile of work will be renaming the DECORATE actors to avoid collisions.

Manny Cav

I would absolutely love for Chex Quest 3's changes to be made into DECORATE or whatever patches that can be placed into a WAD so as to make it fully cross-port compatible with ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, etc. Everything's in the WAD. Just pop it into our source port of choice.

One thing I noticed about the Chex Quest 3 engine is that I couldn't find the OpenGL option I adore, something that can likely be attributed to making the engine based off of ZDoom. If you were going to make a new Chex Quest engine, then ZDoom would be the best source code to use, since it is the "original" port off of the ZDoom family. However, nothing beats having all of the changes in ZDoom compatible patches loaded into the WAD to allow it to be played on any ZDoom family port.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Dvader0086

it don't work well on GZdoom... you must add to decorate...

Manny Cav

Quote from: Dvader0086 on September 10, 2008, 07:22:49 PM
it don't work well on GZdoom... you must add to decorate...
My point exactly. We need to find a way to get everything in a convenient package that can be slapped into the WAD itself rather than in a whole new engine, which I'm sure is what Graf Zahl is talking about.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Blzut3

Indeed.  There should be no reason to ever modify zdoom.pk3.  Of course both Graf and I can't find any changes in the code itself so we can only assume its all in the pk3.

Replica

Indeed it is. The cyber-demon, SpiderMastermind, and the two posses have been changed, along with the Animdef, and I sure that the mapinfo was changed as well.

This is alittle off topic, It appears that the "player.damagescreencolor" flag doesn't work in GZdoom. I'm not sure if Chucker used it is all.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Blzut3 on September 10, 2008, 07:47:35 PM
Indeed.  There should be no reason to ever modify zdoom.pk3.  Of course both Graf and I can't find any changes in the code itself so we can only assume its all in the pk3.

The uploaded code was wrong. There actually were some changes - in fact some that I didn't expect. A_PosAttack, A_SposAttack and A_CyberAttack were changed so this EXE isn't even compatible with stock ZDoom. I think the best course of action is to put as much data as possible - including DECORATE code - into the IWAD and then make sure that ZDoom can load it. That would eliminate the need for a custom EXE completely so an update can be packaged with a ZDoom version based on the latest code.

Allen Walker

Gah! BIG news, and I have school keeping me away from posting! This is epic win + over 9000. You have greatly pleased us nerds. We'll send you good tidings in the form of a good harvest and hunt. jk.

Goldfish

YAY!  ;D That was great!! Thank you O Great One!
Icon: Courtesy of Rushnerd. (Thanks!)
I am a Super Goldfish! I can remember my own name for 10 minutes! Much better than only 5 minutes.

TheMasterOfBattle

Not 9000! XD

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Replica

Just courious, have we seen the last of the offical flemoids Chucker?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Zorchdude

Yes. Replica does have a point. Will we ever see the Calamus (Slimeinator is taking ages to do A1) or possibly official DooM 2 replacements, or maybe even new, non-original DooM based Flemoids!
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Replica on September 11, 2008, 01:51:08 PM
This is alittle off topic, It appears that the "player.damagescreencolor" flag doesn't work in GZdoom. I'm not sure if Chucker used it is all.

In the latest revisions it does. No, he didn't use it. Instead he modified the source.

Chukker

Other than fixing the bugs to CQ3, I don't have any set plans for more work in the Chex universe. It was fun revisiting it, however. If I do decide to make more, it wouldn't be until after the holidays at the earliest. Anyone have a clear idea what the status of TUCQ is? Seems like progress has slowed with Boingo's available time and competing projects. There's much that is really great about the changes made to the original levels in the Ultimate Chex Quest. Would people want to see those changes integrated into CQ3? Assuming Boingo was okay with that of course. Or do people prefer having CQ3 having the old levels and TUCQ being as its name implies, the "ultimate" version of the game with all bells and whistles, especially now that it is being ported to GZDoom.