Favorite Secret Area in the Game

Started by QuadrumpusGuy, June 08, 2009, 10:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

O_o...HE's a flippin GAME ARTIST. ITS WHAT HE DOES. HE MADE THE CQ ART, SO I"D THINK HE'D BE GOOD.

however, if you meant in general, how he got good at art...i'd like to konw.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Quote from: Atariangamer on June 11, 2009, 11:54:04 PM
O_o...HE's a flippin GAME ARTIST. ITS WHAT HE DOES. HE MADE THE CQ ART, SO I"D THINK HE'D BE GOOD.

heh?

Actually.... Digital cafe never made a game before CQ. He's a game artist NOW, but I don't think he gets paid to make games (even though he should, seeing the trash that still seems to get out onto the market.)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Atariangamer

Digital cafe made multimedia things...websites, demonstrations, the like. they needed SOME kind of artist, and you can go to chucktropolis and look at some of his earlier stuff. you take classes on art, and then make your own style.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Loremaster on June 11, 2009, 03:48:49 AM
Y'know, I gotta jump on that E1M2 bandwagon. It took me YEARS to find those two secrets, but when I did, I was SO thrilled. The way I found 'em was by literally going through the level and trying to open EVERY SINGLE WALL. Yeah, wish I had a screenie of the level time to show y'all.
It probably SUCKED, didn't it? ;D
Quote from: 75 on June 11, 2009, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: Loremaster on June 11, 2009, 03:48:49 AM
Y'know, I gotta jump on that E1M2 bandwagon. It took me YEARS to find those two secrets, but when I did, I was SO thrilled. The way I found 'em was by literally going through the level and trying to open EVERY SINGLE WALL. Yeah, wish I had a screenie of the level time to show y'all.

heh that's my wolf3d strategy!
Quote from: Manny Cav on June 10, 2009, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: 75 on June 10, 2009, 03:33:45 PM
Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on June 08, 2009, 11:12:17 PM
I thought the E2M2 Arcade Machine was the best secret area in the game. But yeah, I the LAZ Device Secret Area in E2M3 is pretty cool.

Another favorite is the Computer Map Secret Area through the vent in E2M4.

what are you talking about? I don't see any arcade machines
Are you sure you have the latest version of Chex Quest 3, Version 1.2? If not, then you need to go to Chucktropolis and download it.

Ah, I see. VERY nice texturing. Wonder how he got so good at that.
Dude, Chukker probably took a college course in computer art or something. He does this sort of thing for a living (though now, it'd be 3D models and meshes mostly).

EDIT: Here's his resume. Looks like he went to Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
Quote from: 75 on June 12, 2009, 12:09:11 AM

heh?

Actually.... Digital cafe never made a game before CQ. He's a game artist NOW, but I don't think he gets paid to make games (even though he should, seeing the trash that still seems to get out onto the market.)
Oh, he gets paid, alright, just like any other game developer. Would people be in that business if they weren't paid? Look here to see a bit of what I mean. Also read the previously posted resume. He currently works for EALA [Electronic Arts Los Angeles]. He gets a salary, for sure. I'm sure he got paid for Chex Quest, as well, though I think Chex Quest 3 is sort of like a add-on or fan project, except it's more official. There isn't really anyone to pay him for that. He did that just because he's a nice guy and appreciates our patronage. :)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

matthias720

Quote from: Manny Cav on June 12, 2009, 10:53:20 AM
He did that just because he's a nice guy and appreciates our patronage. :)
And if I may add, because it was simply there.
That, and the fact that the stolen CQ3 needed to be wiped from the minds of the general public.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

ChexCommander

75....Chukker was one of the lead artists from the original Chex Quest. THAT'S how he got so good.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Quote from: ChexCommander on June 12, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
75....Chukker was one of the lead artists from the original Chex Quest. THAT'S how he got so good.

Wow I sure set quite a few people's hair on fire with what I said, I just thought the arcade machine looked really cool <shruggs>
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

ChexCommander

...Well, at least you know something now you didn't know before....

Again.... I was just commenting on his talent. I can't texture like that. When I see that I say "how did he get so good at that?".

I don't really see how that's an insult to his skills...

Datra

I'd like to learn how to texture like that. would help me out a lot with some of my other projects.

I'd also like to add the red-key vent in E2M1 as one of my favorite secrets.
CQHD Community Dev

Manny Cav

Quote from: 75 on June 12, 2009, 11:57:18 PM
Again.... I was just commenting on his talent. I can't texture like that. When I see that I say "how did he get so good at that?".

I don't really see how that's an insult to his skills...
Don't worry, mate. I'd take it as a compliment if I were in his place. ;) I don't see anyone who said it was an insult.

Uh... where were we on? Oh, secret areas. E2M5 seems to be full of concealed doors with no Doom-style markings of them being concealed. A lot of them don't even lead to secret areas, though some do. They're just nifty shortcuts, lead to special rooms with an item, or act as trap doors filled with Bipedici. The trap doors don't really need to be marked, though, since they should flip open automatically anyway, and they wouldn't be trap doors if the player could conclude that they were doors in the first place.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

matthias720

Anyone like the new ones in CQ3 v1.3?
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on June 12, 2009, 12:09:11 AM

heh?

I think maybe that quote may have sparked a couple posts...it's just that he's been a game artist, and works for EA, and gets paid for it. But don't worry, I don't think any of us thought it was an insult.  :)

Hm, I must try out v1.3; I just downloaded it.

Batmanifestdestiny

There's an arcade machine in CQ2??

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

ChexCommander

In CQ3 versions 1.2 and 1.3, yes. They're to your right when entering the cinema.

I was playing v1.3, and another top 10 secret of mine is behind the poster at the last part of E2M1 that reveals a motherlode of stuff. When I first saw it, it was amazing.