MP3 Again

Started by Atariangamer, July 07, 2009, 01:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Was thinking the other day how awesome E3M1 music is...and decided I was bored tonite and broke out my FL Studio again...
spent almost 85 minutes trying to get it to sound close to the original. Hopefully its good to y'all

CHEX QUEST 3 E3M1v1
CHEX QUEST E3M1v2
(^thanks to ZeldaGamer00 for help on tweaking the sound)

CHEX QUEST E3M3v1
CHEX QUEST E3M3v2
Crits and Complements, plz.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

If I was making this, I would put my name, and maybe Benson's, in the ID3 tags. Not a real issue, just a thought. ;)

Nice work!

ChexCommander

Good job! I like it!  :)

I like the second version.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

comparing it to the actual MIDI, theres a good deal of lag in the notes. Mostly due to the way midi handles them. Its a good version, but it has nothing on the MIDI (at least, when using XG synth)

GameMaster

How did you do this?

Atariangamer

Using FL Studio (currently 6, need to update to 7), I open the MIDI file and start finding synths that sound like the instruments. I use Sytrus (best sounding one, though its not free, i use the demo, which is why what you hear is what you get, no tweaking), and take preset instruments and tweak them to fit the need. I then save the drum track and load up sampled drum sounds and assign them to the keys. I test it, and in this case got some input before rendering the final, and then volia.

ChexCommander

Sweetness! I wish I had FL Studio...oh, the possibilities.

Also, FL Studio 8 is out...if you bought FL Studio online you get free lifetime updates, or $29 for lifetime updates from the box, apparently.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

i bought the box, and got one free update...so i have a 7 license.

GameMaster

Is there any way to extract MIDI's or ogg's from a wad?

Atariangamer

yes...XWE does it. and lucky for me, you didn't need to convert them from MUS to MIDI (something i've yet to figure out)

GameMaster

XWE says it's unknown

xbolt

Say, since you have FL Studio, you need to do something with FL-Chan! ;D

*dodges flying fruit*

Atariangamer

sorry GM...i'm not a pro at doing it, i just opened chex3.wad, found the file, saved it as E3M1.mid and it worked.

and xbolt, i had experimented with that when i had FL7 before resetting the computer...it was cool, but I couldn't stand it after awhile...

GameMaster

I'm trying to extract some music from Legendary and Epic CTF wads.....

Atariangamer

some of those are .IT from Impulse Tracker. basically MIDI, but not...idk if you can convert those.