Author Topic: The Lord of The Yen  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
Re: The Lord of The Yen
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »
At Fanime one of my friends dragged us into a Bleach marathon. I do not watch Bleach, and as such had NO idea what in Feth's name was going on. Some dude with a giant sword [TOTALLY NOT COMPENSATING!!!] wailing on other dudes with giant swords and then he turns into a skeleton or something.

...can you tell I'm not a huge fan of Shounen Anime?
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Kuwabara

• "I do declare, if that Hina lady doesn't stop spin spin spinnin' in that river..."
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:46 AM »
*clears throat*

Something tells me that you were watching the Hollow world story arc.  The main guy (Ichigo) is the guy with the huge sword, and him turning to a "skeleton" is actually him using the hollow powers he has.  (Hollows are soul eating ghosts basicly) and the other guys with big swords were most likely Arrancar's.  They are hollows that have taken off their masks and seal their hollow powers into a sword.  They are very similar to Shinigami (death gods, Soul Reapers over here.) in terms of power.  (BTW he was in that world to save a friend of his that was taken because her powers were very useful to the hollows and their leader, a former shinigami named Aizen.)

I may have skipped some stuff, but there ya go.

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »
*clears throat*

Something tells me that you were watching the Hollow world story arc.  The main guy (Ichigo) is the guy with the huge sword, and him turning to a "skeleton" is actually him using the hollow powers he has.  (Hollows are soul eating ghosts basicly) and the other guys with big swords were most likely Arrancar's.  They are hollows that have taken off their masks and seal their hollow powers into a sword.  They are very similar to Shinigami (death gods, Soul Reapers over here.) in terms of power.  (BTW he was in that world to save a friend of his that was taken because her powers were very useful to the hollows and their leader, a former shinigami named Aizen.)

Yeah, that one. The opening has the bloody lion/bear/whatever thing singing. But it was fun, and it's not like I didn't enjoy watching it, I was just bleeding confused.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Kuwabara

• "I do declare, if that Hina lady doesn't stop spin spin spinnin' in that river..."
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:09 AM »
I havn't seen the anime to that point, but I have read to that point.

Offline Batmanifestdestiny

• oddball
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Yeah, that's right.
    • CQ Hideout
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »
*clears throat*

Yeah, that one. The opening has the bloody lion/bear/whatever thing singing. But it was fun, and it's not like I didn't enjoy watching it, I was just bleeding confused.

That, my friend, is Kon!
He's a stuffed something (no one knows, they found it on the street) that's been imbued with a soul through the equivalent to a spiritual Pez Dispenser.
in the early episode (I think it still remains this way) the main character would have to die before he could use his abilities, so he would choke the soul pez outta the bear thing, and eat it, so that his soul would come out, leaving his body in the care of Kon.
Kon is random, but good with his legs.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Offline Allen Walker

• The guy that does a slice and dice with Weiss using Ice.
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:00:26 AM »
And speaks in rude tongue-rolling Japanese.   The anime is good IMO, but maybe I just like sword fighting and the paranormal. I suggest Loremaster that if you want a serious anime, then by all means watch Paranoia Agent.  Satoshi Kon (not the bleach Kon) really hits the mark when discussing japan's social problems, and displays it in a very unique way. However! Its not for the younger ones! Its for 16+ as it does face some stuff as drugs, girls, and the like (but drugs and girls are not the main focus.) If you want to think, watch this anime. I would get the boxset, BUT last I checked it was 100 DOLLARS for 12 EPISODES!. Oh well.

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:50 AM »
Mostly I don't like serious Anime. Neon Genesis: Evangelion is about the only major exception to that rule [though I do enjoy Ghost in the Shell and Rozen Maiden]

I like the rom-coms. Ranma 1/2, Please Teacher, Girls Bravo, Chobits, that sort. Sometimes I like the old style Shounen action romances, but not quite as much.

My problem with most Serious Anime is that the endings are horrible and unhappy for the most part.

*SPOILERS FOLLOW!*

Cowboy Bebop is a prime example of this. He FREAKING DIES IN THE END!!! I don't want to sit through tons of episodes only to be rewarded with something like that. Reality has enough horrible endings as it is, and I don't want my fantasies to have sad endings as well.

Like I said, EVA is about the only exception to this. All the characters die/go crazy and then the world ends and is reborn, with Shinji still crazy and emotionally destroyed. THE LAST BLOODY LINE OF THE MOVIE IS "I FEEL SICK" AND YOU DON'T BLEEDING KNOW WHAT SHE MEANS BY IT!!! DOES SHE MEAN SHE FEELS SICK THAT THE WORLD ENDED, THAT SHE'S STUCK WITH SHINJI, OR IS IT MORNING SICKNESS?!?!?!? YOU NEVER KNOW AND THAT BLOODY FETH WIT HIDEKI ANNO WILL NOT TELL US!!!!!

[/rant]

***SPOILERS END***

I really want that emotionally deep and character driven Evangelion story, but with more romance and a happy ending. I really do. I want it so badly that I actually read and write fan fiction of it. It is the only series for which I do this [Battletech and Warhammer 40,000 don't count, as those are interactive fiction. You're SUPPOSED to write your own stuff]. I collected the ENTIRE "Evangelion: Angelic Days" manga series, grabbed the RE-TAKE doujinshi, and am eagerly awaiting the recently licensed "Shinji Ikari Raising Project" manga in the hopes that it will give me that. Feth, I'm even biting my nails over the new light novel "Evangelion: ANIMA" that is being published in Japan right now. I suppose it's because I identify with Shinji Ikari very deeply, and I want to see him get his happy ending because it gives me hope that I can have a happy ending too.

I regret nothing!

Offline Allen Walker

• The guy that does a slice and dice with Weiss using Ice.
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
Well, there is a happy ending to Paranoia Agent. Its still a bit confusing however.

Offline Kuwabara

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
Mostly I don't like serious Anime. Neon Genesis: Evangelion is about the only major exception to that rule [though I do enjoy Ghost in the Shell and Rozen Maiden]

I like the rom-coms. Ranma 1/2, Please Teacher, Girls Bravo, Chobits, that sort. Sometimes I like the old style Shounen action romances, but not quite as much.

My problem with most Serious Anime is that the endings are horrible and unhappy for the most part.

*SPOILERS FOLLOW!*

Cowboy Bebop is a prime example of this. He FREAKING DIES IN THE END!!! I don't want to sit through tons of episodes only to be rewarded with something like that. Reality has enough horrible endings as it is, and I don't want my fantasies to have sad endings as well.

Like I said, EVA is about the only exception to this. All the characters die/go crazy and then the world ends and is reborn, with Shinji still crazy and emotionally destroyed. THE LAST BLOODY LINE OF THE MOVIE IS "I FEEL SICK" AND YOU DON'T BLEEDING KNOW WHAT SHE MEANS BY IT!!! DOES SHE MEAN SHE FEELS SICK THAT THE WORLD ENDED, THAT SHE'S STUCK WITH SHINJI, OR IS IT MORNING SICKNESS?!?!?!? YOU NEVER KNOW AND THAT BLOODY FETH WIT HIDEKI ANNO WILL NOT TELL US!!!!!

[/rant]

***SPOILERS END***

Ugh, I can agree with that.  I remember how I reacted to the end of the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet anime.

**BLUNT RIP-OFF OF LOREMASTER, BUT SPOLIERS FOLLOW**

It's basicly the same with cowboy bebop. Shugo and Rena, who have been struggling to be together at last since their parent's divorce, also DIES at the end!  After ALL of their adventures, and all of their The World saving antics, you think that they are finally are going to be together, but then they sacrifice themselves so they can save The World!  This was my face after that episode ended.

*jaw drops to the center of the earth*

**Spoliers end**

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting