Main Menu

*OLD* Project Discussion

Started by Atariangamer, February 28, 2008, 10:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Well, I kinda felt that DooM engine was just a bit too up there for me, and mebe something simpler would be in order...well, another good friend of mine has a copy of all 6 Wolf3D episodes and is letting me use it for a mod! I just got into the editor (and its much simpler) and I'm going to do this. This project will not fail. I will get it out. (can't say how much of the stuff I can mod...i'll have to get farther into the project). Right now, my aims for this are:

1. To place Chex Quest enemies weapons pickups ect. into a Wolfenstein game.
2. To create special maps that use these materials in the manner they were meant to be.
3. To release it for the enjoyment of the CQ Community!

8)...How many of you think I'm joking?  :-X
I'm really not, and this will be cool, and it will be big...I want to take a small suggestions thing...what weapons should I use for this?

I was thinking Boot spork, minizorcher, large zorcher, and rapid. Or should I use something else? mebe a user made zorcher?

Well, now I dropped the bomb...whadya think?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

I saw this coming from outer space. :D

Anyway, my poor experience with anything to do with Wolf[insert title] games doesn't give me much room to offer any input. However, I would like to play such a mod if you made it. What would I have to have?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Uh...hm. I think all you would need is something to play Wolf3d games with. Since my first real release will have all things I can do at the moment replaced, you should need only what I give...I think. I'm haveing some problems with the palette, mostly because Microsoft Paint can't save/import pallates...Know anything for that?

You could try to get the shareware, or just buy the thing (wolf3d, i mean. $15 dollars isn't bad, but even for me, thats too much...I don't get that much as allowance each week.)

I have converted the CQ minizorcher and boot spoon successfully into the game...but before I post screens, I wanted to get at least the walls in...and the palette prevents this.

Manny Cav

Uh... just search for a pallet editor, or try another program (like GIMP). I really don't know a lot about pallets like that.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

hmm...i get errors when trying to run the map...any ideas? If not, be a web spider and search for some help, please? I can't figure out why....mebe it didn't like what I did...GASP! brain spark...I filled the room with rock...you can't stand in rock...leme try again.

EDIT: Well, it sorta worked...I can see a giberesh status bar, something like walls, a ceiling, and nothing else...the screen is a whole lot of unintelligeble multicolored junk and pixels...whoops...

Manny Cav

You can always ask GameMaster. Didn't you get this idea from him? He might know some things about this.

EDIT: Never mind. I see you made a thread in the Tech Support forum where he answered.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

yeah...I need more though.

I got the knife replaced with the boot spork, but I can't get any of the minizorcher frames to work...

TrueDude

Atariangamer

Due to problems with the pistol sprites (nothing I put in there will work...it crashes), I have nothing.

TrueDude, do you know any graphic editors for Wolf I could use? something that won't crash it...since FloEdit is the main culprit, I have downloaded one of each section (graphics, sound, map...am I missing anything?) Also, would GIMP let me save the palette from an image so I can convert the CQ textures?

Screens will come as soon as I get the pistol and at least the yellow guard done...

TrueDude

Maybe you could get have some backups in case the game crashes again next time. I've found a Wolfenstein OpenGL EXE that makes Wolfenstein able to run on later computers:

http://wolfgl.sourceforge.net/

Maybe that will help once the demo comes out for people who can't run DOS. (Both Windows and Linux versions. YAY!)

As for editors, check here:

http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/utilities.htm

It might have something.

Atariangamer

I tried...I'm going to get GIMP to try and convert walls to Wolf's pallete, I got MapEdit for maps, and a graphics importer to replace the sprites and walls...

Oh, and wolf gl...how you get to work? wouldn't work for me...

UPDATE: Oops...I didn't get a graphics importer...how do I do it? Should I XWE the textures in there after I get the palette thing done?

GameMaster

ew. opengl. <------------older pc
somebody needs to port GZWolf  :P

Atariangamer

HEY! I found better...
http://winwolf3d.dugtrio17.com
It has a windows port of Wolf plus tons of tools! (shoulda come here first...)
I found it from...DieHard wolfers or something?

Its going better now...will post screens probably Wednesday (our new Youth pastor came in yesterday, so our family decided to show him around, meaning I've been away from home for most of the weekend.)

Oh, and I know what ya mean about OpenGL...it reminds me of the maze screensaver that originally stared in Win95...

Atariangamer

Ok...seems there is no intrest in this project...STILL I WILL CARRY ON!!!

I found the problem with the zorcher sprites! Not the pallate, but the edges of the sprites! The WDC tool I now use says that the source must be edited for the far left adn right lines to have non transparent pixels in, but all my sprites did! Fixed, now I need some consumer input...

For the Machine gun, what sprites should I use? (you can post a pack or just direct me to the wad)
and the Chaingun, should I use the Rapidzorcher or something else? Help please!

screens (and mebe a beta release) to be released as soon as I get the basic sprites finished!

Atariangamer

fething triple post...

I'm getting close to a release (maybe) or just some screens. To early to say, but I should have some evidence that i'm really doing something by the end of the week.