Author Topic: Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi  (Read 11622 times)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 89
  • -Receive: 18
  • I do stuff.
Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Hey everyone I just was looking through the topics for people to go Multiplayer with. but it looks like there is alot of confusion and trouble going on in the process,
so I am gonna make a guide on how to do multiplayer in Chexquest. made easy
Hamachi you can pick that up here
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/download.aspx
Skulltag Version 97e (98a when its released)
you can pick that up here http://skulltag.com/download/

Step 1.
download and install Hamachi, when Hamachi is done installing go through the tutorial thingy it has; you can create your own network if you want for private skulltag games and such;
Now join this Network with Hamachi
Chex Multiplayer Server
password is Chexquest

Step 2
After all that go to the options menu in DoomExplorer (assuming you have since it comes with Skulltag)
go to Custom server and add the IP address that it gave you in hamachi when you installed it
EX mine is 5.150.16.216
you might need to type in other peoples IP addresses for whos games you wanna join. I would also add the local host to the list too.
when this is all done go to step 3.

Step 3
The greatest thing about hamachi is it's messaging feature now you can message people who are online instead of hoping that somebody will be online with a a game up. For instance say my buddy Mrfoot is online so I right click his name and click on chat, then I can type messages to him and his Hamachi program should send him a notification that I wanna talk.
Now the only downside to this wonderful program is that the FREE version only allows 16 people on a network before it becomes full but it allows up to 256 networks to be created on one program. so say that the Chex multiplayer server is full somebody could make one with an Identical name except with a #2 (or 3 etc) at the end with the same password and everything. then tell everyone else of it and more people can play multiplayer on that.
When you have found a Chexquest server that you like you can check it off in the IDESE server list browser on the left side of the screen, then it will be added to your favorites and will be listed first whether it is online or not

Step 4
Find Friends and enjoy playing Chexquest 3 on multiplayer,

Note: you may need to Allow Skulltag and IDESE through your firewall

Note:Note:
I forgot to mention this the other day but Hamachi can acts as a Mesh type of network or

Hub-and-spoke Network
This network type provides more strict control over network members in terms of who is connected to whom. Hubs (servers) are connected to everyone else, spokes (workstations) are connected only to hubs, but not to each other. It is a typical choice for simple corporate use cases, where a workstation needs connection to servers only.

Maybe a picture would help
https://secure.logmein.com/images/products/hamachi/hns1_sel.gif
if an Admin or one of the Multiplayer Moderators made a Chexquest network. then they could make a Server with Chexquest or BC could use it to make networks and have 1 game hosted the entire time and the other moderators can use VNC to Administer the server. With this method the end of steps 1 and mostly step 2 can be skipped. ( you would just have to enter in the hamachi IP for the host server, because they can only communicate to the host computer and not each other)

this might also work too

Gateway Network
A gateway network integrates smoothly into your physical network also in terms of IP addressing. Your gateway will provide regular members with access to the entire physical network. There must be one and only one dedicated gateway in this type of network and there can be any number of regular members.
Note: The Hamachi² client will not act as a gateway on Workstation operating systems if they are domain members.

just a Few thoughts on the multiplayer matter
keep chexing
~Rexxor
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:51:42 PM by rexxor »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: New easy way for multiplayer.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
Hmm...Hamachi? Interesting use of an outside program, but no one here has ever used it for a server. We'll look into it. :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
Re: Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
Hmm...Hamachi? Interesting use of an outside program, but no one here has ever used it for a server. We'll look into it. Smiley
me and my buddies use it for other games too like Starcraft, Battlefield 2 etc.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
Like I said, it's a new concept. I'll check it out.

We've also been considering Mumble, a voice-chat program.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »
oh yea. I forgot to mention GSC.
GSC is a Free voice server program made for games, it actually detected that I had Skulltag installed on my PC and when I start the game it gives my username a status for playing Skulltag,
you can get that here http://getgsc.com/

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:29 PM »
We're still waiting for our dedicated server to come up (hows that going, bc?), then we'll be all set for a dedicated chat server and game server.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
oh ok well, when will that be? I just figured this would be easier for people to set up private matches and stuff

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38:22 AM »
For private matches, this would  be good...but 1v1 or even 2v2 isn't very fun...and we rarely get that many people on with that much time to go through the whole thing...

BC has kinda gotten distracted, but I'll PM her and ask if we can get remote access soon. Then we can set up all the servers we need (well, within reason, that is)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
For private matches, this would  be good...but 1v1 or even 2v2 isn't very fun...and we rarely get that many people on with that much time to go through the whole thing...

BC has kinda gotten distracted, but I'll PM her and ask if we can get remote access soon. Then we can set up all the servers we need (well, within reason, that is)
ok I just have 1 Question. what about the firewall? I don't know about your computers but mine is under strict protection almost all the time,(NOD32 FTW) which prevented me from joining a private server I made in IDESE it was only until I added my Hamachi IP to the custom servers list was I could find it and join it in the server list

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
Normal firewalls (and even moderate firewalls) will allow you to have an exception out. Like, to connect to the master server, the port 10666 (Skulltag default) must be opened in at LEAST the Windows Firewall (or whatever, depending on your OS). To host, however, you need to have port forwarding enabled. People must be able to enter your normal IP, and get through your modem and router to the host program on your PC. For me, I just set my router to accept a range of ports. This allows me to host Garrys Mod listening servers, Team Fortress 2 Dedicated Servers, and Skulltag servers.

If we get a dedicated server going, everyone can join. If you can, under your current setup, connect to a normal skulltag server via IDESE (not your own, but an existing one in the list), you'll be able to use ours (once we get it up).

On an internal LAN network (like Hamachi simulates), ports aren't an issue because the server doesn't need to escape from your modem/router.

Maybe for a duel or some other random DM, Hamachi would be easier for a group like that. But a dedicated server would give us a standard servers for use at any time (like maybe a 24/7 Coop server, and a 24/7 DM server)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
I see,
well I used to be able to join skulltag server but since I updated it to support CQ3 I cannot anymore.
as for portforwarding. I have heard about this with Warcraft III for hosting Lan games, but I use hamachi and a nifty little program Called Forcebindip to force Warcraft III to use the Hamachi's Virtual IP for hosting/Joining Games then a friend can use the same thing to join my game and play the games. you wouldn't need forcebindip for using it with skulltag since skulltag has its own custom server feature allowing you to add a hamachi IP addres then it would show up in that server
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:53:47 PM by rexxor »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
The reason you can't connect is because the beta isn't in standard use. Everyone else is using 97D, you're using 97e. Once we do a server that hosts with your same version (i'm gonna use 97e in my testing), you can connect normally.

LAN games do not need portforwarding...only internet games.

The thing I dont like is the fact that thats now 2 programs I need. Even though Skulltag has a 'custom server' feature, its designed for servers that do not appear on the master server...like, say you base the game on your own server. Not hosting on your own server, but basing the master server in another place. You can then enter the server IP and have it appear on your list w/o needing to switch IDESE's master server address.

BTW, I'm not trying to shoot this down, just saying this is nowhere near the best option for us. Maybe as a quickie fix, but long term? I dont think so...(it also seems you use this as a way to get out of your strict security, while most people don't need to)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »

1. The reason you can't connect is because the beta isn't in standard use. Everyone else is using 97D, you're using 97e. Once we do a server that hosts with your same version (i'm gonna use 97e in my testing), you can connect normally.

2. Not hosting on your own server, but basing the master server in another place. You can then enter the server IP and have it appear on your list w/o needing to switch IDESE's master server address.

3. BTW, I'm not trying to shoot this down, just saying this is nowhere near the best option for us. Maybe as a quickie fix, but long term? I dont think so...(it also seems you use this as a way to get out of your strict security, while most people don't need to)

@1 I know that

@2 I wasn't saying you need to change the master server address you just need to add the address of the PC to the custom server list your trying to join in a game.
what I was saying regarding the Hub and Spoke network is if you had the Dedicated PC hosting hamachi servers then all the hamachi people would need to do was add the IP of the host Dedicated server to the custom server list in IDESE then have the dedicated PC host games

@3 turning off my firewall is as simple as a few clicks actually.

LAN games do not need portforwarding...only internet games.

I am aware of that but since I my dads router is like it is. it makes it impossible to host for my friend to join on an internet game so we use hamachi instead.

Offline Batmanifestdestiny

• oddball
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Yeah, that's right.
    • CQ Hideout
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »
Hmm...Hamachi? Interesting use of an outside program, but no one here has ever used it for a server. We'll look into it. Smiley
me and my buddies use it for other games too like Starcraft, Battlefield 2 etc.
Starcraft 1 or 2?   please say 1.

GSC sounds like it could be an interesting program!  Same with Mumble.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:22:31 PM »
we use Starcraft Broodwar if that is what your asking. Starcraft 2 hasn't been released yet unfortunately

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting