Author Topic: Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi  (Read 11906 times)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 89
  • -Receive: 18
  • I do stuff.
Re: Playing CQ Multiplayer via Hamachi
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
*bump*

maybe we could schedule private matches using another program
Yeah, I think something like that would be a great idea! That way, everyone would be aware of when planned pick-up games and official matches were being held. If we could integrate Wake-On LAN (y'all turning my PC on remotely) into that, it would be super spiffy. Maybe we could incorporate it into our calendar system? Let's find another topic to continue this conversation in though since this is for status updates. Smiley

maybe Hamachi? I know you did not wanna use an outside program but this came to mind. it would be easier for people to schedule private matches as well. I play with my friend this way we barely get any lag
or we could use
WhatsmyIP.com and add the external IP to the custom server list it might work but IDK
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:13:28 PM by rexxor »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »
*bump*

maybe we could schedule private matches using another program
Yeah, I think something like that would be a great idea! That way, everyone would be aware of when planned pick-up games and official matches were being held. If we could integrate Wake-On LAN (y'all turning my PC on remotely) into that, it would be super spiffy. Maybe we could incorporate it into our calendar system? Let's find another topic to continue this conversation in though since this is for status updates. Smiley

maybe Hamachi? I know you did not wanna use an outside program but this came to mind. it would be easier for people to schedule private matches as well. I play with my friend this way we barely get any lag
or we could use
WhatsmyIP.com and add the external IP to the custom server list it might work but IDK
Hrm, I guess I'm still missing the point on this Hamachi thing. What exactly does Hamachi offer that would justify the extra layer of networking crap? I mean, it's still just a VPN client, right?

I've already got all the external IP crap taken care of if you're talking specifically about my server. And what I was thinking of in my quote wasn't really something Hamachi can take care of. With Wake-On LAN, our shoutbox, and our calendar system, we could easily implement this sort of thing with the resources we already have.

Hamachi is bundled into one of the two remote access programs we use and I have yet to find a reason to enable it.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:03:26 PM by brain candy »

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
perhaps I didn't explain it correctly.
it doesn't really function as a VPN client, it creates a virtual network over the internet. I suppose that Logmeins other programs can be used for VPN, but what it is really saying is say I have a a legit version of Starcraft. and I give it to my friend but since we have the same CD key we cannot play on a battle.net server together so we use hamachi to make a virtual network and it makes Starcraft think that we are in the same room cause technally we are on a network together even if it isn't physical.
we could do this with Skulltag by adding a hamachi virtual IP it will think that it is another network game and show up in the server list.

but if you can already do that with your other resources then it would be pointless to use hamachi.
you get it now?

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »
perhaps I didn't explain it correctly.
it doesn't really function as a VPN client, it creates a virtual network over the internet. I suppose that Logmeins other programs can be used for VPN, but what it is really saying is say I have a a legit version of Starcraft. and I give it to my friend but since we have the same CD key we cannot play on a battle.net server together so we use hamachi to make a virtual network and it makes Starcraft think that we are in the same room cause technally we are on a network together even if it isn't physical.
we could do this with Skulltag by adding a hamachi virtual IP it will think that it is another network game and show up in the server list.

but if you can already do that with your other resources then it would be pointless to use hamachi.
you get it now?
Aye, I get you. I've used Hamachi this way as well (for Starcraft even!) but I did not see how it would be applicable in our case. I wasn't sure if there was more to it as far as communication and scheduling matches.

I don't think anyone has taken issue with the way members connect to play Skulltag matches. They just hop the Skulltag multiplayer and pick out our server. No biggie, right?
Random thought, but LogMeIn actually owns Hamachi.  ;)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
I don't think anyone has taken issue with the way members connect to play Skulltag matches. They just hop the Skulltag multiplayer and pick out our server. No biggie, right?
Random thought, but LogMeIn actually owns Hamachi.

you confuse me. you mean people don't care how they connect or would this be a problem.
I know that logmein own hamachi lol. I have an account there

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »

you confuse me. you mean people don't care how they connect or would this be a problem.

I think we're confusing each other.  XD

Are you offering up Hamachi as a way in which we can all connect together and play what would essentially be a LAN style Chex Quest multiplayer game? If so, I was just stating that I do not think anyone has taken issue with how we currently connect to each other to play a multiplayer game (via Skulltag... connecting to a hosted game).

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
*points to above posts*

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

I think we're confusing each other.  XD

Are you offering up Hamachi as a way in which we can all connect together and play what would essentially be a LAN style Chex Quest multiplayer game? If so, I was just stating that I do not think anyone has taken issue with how we currently connect to each other to play a multiplayer game (via Skulltag... connecting to a hosted game).
yes that is exactly what I meant.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 11:21:20 PM »
I think I got it all at the end. XD

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
I may need to rewrite the guide because I didn't do a very good job writing my first guide XD

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
For sure!  ;D

I totally recognize that Hamachi is a very powerful, legit tool, but I'm still not seeing why we would want to replace Skulltag and go in the Hamachi direction. I figure Skulltag hasn't failed us yet and everyone is familiar with how to use it. Hamachi is a whole different story. Everyone would have to go get Hamchi accounts, right?

If I'm headed off in the wrong direction again, please clarify for me!  XD

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • I do stuff.
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
you wouldn't need a hamachi account if you don't want one but they can be handy for managing multiple computers.

we stuill would be using skulltag but using hamachi to emulate a network over the internet.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »
Unfortunately, Hamachi might be a moot point because I'm leaning towards using a Linux distro this time around. Hamachi does have a beta Linux client but I hear it runs terribly in Ubuntu (which might be our distro of choice).

I still think the Hamachi-free setup we have now is sufficient, unless anyone wants to chime in here with some issues. Most of our lag and connection problems were related to the ancient server we were running all our services on, as well as Comcast, and the cruddy non-regulation ethernet cable I had it on. We were literally running out of resources because of the addition of McAfee. That program has some major memory issues. XD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to connect to our Skulltag server, all a member has to do is download the Skulltag client, prepare the right WADs and junk, and then find us on the server list (luckily we're at the top if you sort by IP). From what I've seen, Skulltag is a relatively bandwidth-friendly client that requires little to no network configuration. When connection quality (hopefully) is not an issue, I'm not sure what the extra Hamachi configuration would accomplish. I mean, I recognize that Hamachi could/would improve our connection, but ease of use is a biggie and I think Skulltag is something we've all dealt with.

I still do think Hamachi would be a great solution if members wanted to host their own matches and it's definitely something to consider if we do experience major connection issues. Generally though, for the 24/7 server, it just isn't something we need. I think Atarian summed it up best:

Unless you actually have protection that cuts your computer off from the internet, you (and most everyone) will be able to connect rapidly, normally, and easily. No need to to virtually connect computers, even if it comes with its own chat client. We have an IRC, we have a headline system, we have the forums, and a few of us have Steam accounts. And we don't really hafta worry about when its up, or when the original starter leaves. I could gather a few people together and then leave 20 minutes in, but the others can play on for an unspecified amount of time. If I host, and then hafta leave, even if we're in a virtual network, the server is then gone, and someone else has to start it up.

With a 24/7 dedicated, we can easily get the word out. Even better, we wouldn't hafta put in custom servers, as a 24/7 server would have plenty of time to communicate with the master server and display the server to the public, and to get our name out. Using a virtual network would keep us behind the walls, as if Hamachi works like I'm seeing it as, it'll only work as a LAN server, and our name never gets outside of the Forums.

Sorry it has taken so long to reach some kind of understanding on what you intended to use Hamachi for. I figured it was this, but because the subject kept popping up, I thought LogMeIn might have added some kind of uber neat match scheduler or some other spiffy feature that I was not aware of since I last used it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:51:59 PM by brain candy »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
What she said. XD

Hamachi is really just another program we have to download and install just to play CQ, and really, the main point of this is that it's supposed to be fun and convenient.

I think the calendar and news ticker should do well in helping us set up matches.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting