Author Topic: 24/7 Server Status Updates  (Read 21182 times)

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
24/7 Server Status Updates
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »
I figured I'd create a separate topic devoted to the status of our server. Since all the other topics have been overrun with Skulltag talk, this topic is going to strictly be for status updates-- planned updates, downtime, server related errors, etc. Cool beans? At some point I would like to get some sort of web interface up and running where people can check the status of the server without having to come dig through this topic.

I'd also like it if Atarian, CC, and co posted any status info related to Skulltag specifically here. Keep all the status junk in one locale. ;)

Note from CC: This topic is to be used for Server updates only.  Many of these posts will be from BC, Atarian, or me.  Posting about general multiplayer ideas or recommendations may be posted in the Multiplayer Anyone thread or any thread concerning that topic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:42:22 PM by ChexCommander »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

24/7 Server Status Updates
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
Re: 24/7 Server Status Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Bump.

The server is online.

Everything went smoothly with the server configs which allowed for an early return to service. Yay! Atarian and CC are going to continue Skulltag and voice testing. :)

- We have a Mumble voice server up and running. Please PM me with your desired username and password, as well as an email (for server authentication) so I can get you registered.

- Remote access is working.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »
Remote Access is good! Different refresh style (though I can't wait for a 1024x768 or a 1280x1024 resolution...that super wide screen is KILLING me XD)

I also tested Mumble during Skulltag. BC was able to hear me even as I zorched flemoids! but I'm not sure that goes both ways...but thats why we test.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
Soon the physical server updates will correspond with the Skulltag server updates, but until testing is over, they'll be all over the place. Right now, my Win 2003 server is up, but you'll have to wait for Atarian and CC for Skulltag specific updates.

@Atarian, I'm glad the new remote access is working well! I hope the difference in refresh is a ton better. I'll PM you when the server box is unattended and you can reset the resolution. XD
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:42:32 PM by ChexCommander »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
As of 10/24/09 (and possibly earlier), the VNC is down.

BC knows of this, but is currently AFK, and can't fix it.

Mumble and ST are still in their places, and their opperation is unaffected.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:34:48 PM by brain candy »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
I'm about 40 minutes south of where my rig is located. I'll be back tomorrow night to take a look at the VNC and fix whatever is wrong. Atarian and I talked and I'm thinking we're going to install a secondary remote access (the one we were using before) as a backup.

Atarian, I hope you don't mind... I'm going to bold your status update so it doesn't get buried. :)

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
This topic given a pin. Seeing as we have 2 topics that are the exact thing, I'm merging them and using this one for all status updates.  Carry on.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »
Thank you, CC. I'm not sure how we ended up with two threads.  :)

I have to post this from the iPhone, because our power cut out again. The snow has been messing things up apparently. That being said, it's obvious there won't be any skulltag or mumble tonight! I'm just going to keep the server off tonight. So...

The server is currently offline due to weather.

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 32
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »
The server is currently offline due to weather.
:( Okay. :(
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
The server and Skulltag server are back online.

Sorry guys, we had some nasty weather last night that kept cutting our power out. Unfortunately, Ogden seems to have power issues no matter what the weather is doing, so just be prepared to have this happen again sometime. :(

Anyways, I put the Skulltag server back online as well with all the defaults that Atarian and CC set up.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 05:00:16 PM »
When I came home today, my modem was not connecting to the internet. I power cycled and it's all good now. That happens every once in a while (yay Comcast), but I'm going to call and complain anyway.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »
Server is still up, Comcast is now throttling broadband.

I don't think that Skulltag and Mumble alone will trigger this new throttling software, but I'm afraid when you add in our other internet activities, this might be a problem for us. Here is some more info:

According to the document, Comcast's throttling with have two trigger conditions. The first is activated when using more than 70-percent of a subscriber's maximum upstream or upstream bandwidth in a 15 minute span. The second trigger kicks in when the neighborhood Cable Modem Termination System becomes severely congested and evidence indicates that the cause stems from the offending subscriber.

Internet throttling begins when either triggers are tripped, forcing bandwidth traffic to throttle down. The effect endures for at least 15 minutes, or until the average bandwidth utilization rate drops below 50-percent for 15 minutes. Comcast said that certain traffic won't be throttled: low-priority traffic will still zip through uncongested nodes at close-to-normal speeds.

Comcast was previously using protocol specific throttling methods, which people were complaining adamantly about.... so now on to this new form of throttling. Comcast should work on upgrading their network so all users can have a better experience, without so much need for throttling.... but I don't see that happening ever, as Comcast is one crappy freaking company. Unfortunately, in Utah I have very little in the way of choices. Hopefully, when I move I can hop onto a more legit ISP.

We generally are gone on the weekends, leaving our bandwidth unused (unless we are torrenting), so this should not mess with weekend matches.

I was not sure where else to put this, but I figured it was a status update of sorts-- giving y'all a heads up on a possible connection compromise. Anyways, please let me know if y'all experience anything that seems like Comcast meddling. I will call them up and give them hell. Comcast: the only company who will penalize you for using what you paid for.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:52:05 PM by brain candy »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:11:52 PM »
Oh no...thats great. LOL at the last point.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
The server is currently OFFLINE.

Sorry guys, I had to pull the server offline today. My internet slowed to a crawl... apparently I triggered Comcast's stupid bandwidth cap. I'm fighting with Comcast as we speak, but I'm going to keep the server offline for a while. If anyone wants to schedule an official match, I can put it back online, but until then I'm going to let it sit. I've noticed recently the server activity has been next to nothing, whereas my electricity bill skyrocketed.  :-\

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »
ohh man... i never got 2 go on when other ppl were on :(
yet...

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting