Author Topic: 24/7 Server Status Updates  (Read 21579 times)

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: 24/7 Server Status Updates
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been having some hardware drama. My main rig is currently toast and my laptop has decided to misbehave too, so I have not given the server the attention it needs. Depending on what my main rig decides to do, I might need the stinky server for school.  :facepalm

Things are kinda hectic right now, but I'll let y'all know when I can get this thing online in some form or another.

The ATI Radeon HD 3200 is a really great onboard GPU. That's why I was bummed it was just going to be used for the server! Le sad.

NOOO!!! I was really hoping for my first online match! That map you guys use is just too cool!

I wish I could help, I've been getting a lot of first hand learning about servers for businesses since my dad works in that field.

Don't worry, Atarian or someone else might be able to host a quickie one-day match over vacation.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
I was just thinking, I bet I could host a game since I have a monster rig :)

If I only know how.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been having some hardware drama. My main rig is currently toast and my laptop has decided to misbehave too, so I have not given the server the attention it needs. Depending on what my main rig decides to do, I might need the stinky server for school.  :facepalm

Things are kinda hectic right now, but I'll let y'all know when I can get this thing online in some form or another.

The ATI Radeon HD 3200 is a really great onboard GPU. That's why I was bummed it was just going to be used for the server! Le sad.

NOOO!!! I was really hoping for my first online match! That map you guys use is just too cool!

I wish I could help, I've been getting a lot of first hand learning about servers for businesses since my dad works in that field.

Don't worry, Atarian or someone else might be able to host a quickie one-day match over vacation.
Definitely! With a ton of people out on vacation, I'm sure y'all will have a ton of hosters to pick from. :)

I'm really sorry about the server being offline for so long. School (finals mainly) and work caught up with me... and then all my rigs (minus the server) decided to crap out.

Unfortunately, I'll be leaving for Texas on Wednesday and I don't think I'll have the server ready by then. Especially since it ended up being retrofitted for my end of semester schoolwork. That and I'm having a really hard time getting a remote access solution up with cross platform support. :(

I was just thinking, I bet I could host a game since I have a monster rig :)

If I only know how.
Oh man, a hoster! Mob, there are some FAQ threads that'll help you with hosting, but I bet Atarian or CC could help you out. They're pro!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
...BC, even though my internet is about half the speed of yours, I have yet to find a bandwidth limit on it...I bet I go over 2GB of data in and out a day, be it downloads, torrents, updates, hosting servers, playing online games, or just general browsing and YouTubing...yet I've never had a decrease in speed, nor have we gotten a warning about using it too much...wow.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »
...BC, even though my internet is about half the speed of yours, I have yet to find a bandwidth limit on it...I bet I go over 2GB of data in and out a day, be it downloads, torrents, updates, hosting servers, playing online games, or just general browsing and YouTubing...yet I've never had a decrease in speed, nor have we gotten a warning about using it too much...wow.
Well, it sounds like you don't have Comcast! Lucky. They're absolutely insane.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 01:16:48 AM »
We got the local service...Phone, Cable, and Internet service.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
I'd love to host, but my router has a dynamic IP, and somebody else who lives here insists on keeping it that way.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
We got the local service...Phone, Cable, and Internet service.

Ah, lucky! The only thing around here is Comcast and Verizon Fios, and fiber is too much for the present.  You don't have to deal with friggin' bandwidth caps...

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
I'll host whenever you guys want to. Im hosting a match right now with some of my friends.

Same server name and password
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 02:11:58 AM »
Long time, no talky....  :facepalm

Things got complicated, sorry guys. But I've got my degree, I'm out of school, and I'm ready to rock this 24/7 server thing... at least until my house sells and my computers become nomadic creatures. I'm thinking I've got at least half the summer until my house sells though.

Oh, and I've got an even more updated rig to offer -- AMD Phenom II X2, 4+ gigs of RAM. I need to build it though!

Soooo, until that happens here is the timeline as it stands:

- The new Ubuntu comes out on 4-29 (Thursday). Hopefully, I will be able to obtain and install it that day.
- Install and configure VoIP client (Mumble/Murmur) this next weekend, May 1st and on.
   - The new Mumble/Murmur allows for self-registration, so registering will be on y'alls terms from now on.
- Establish remote access for Atarian during the week of May 1st.
- Get Skulltag up and running based around his schedule.

I haven't talked directly to Atarian yet, but I'm hoping he's still down. Let me know, Atarian! XD

This all sounds easy in theory, and hopefully it will be, but we may run into some snags along the way so bear with me.

In summary:
The server is currently OFFLINE and IN PIECES.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:23:42 AM by brain candy »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
Don't forget me! ;)

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »
Don't forget me! ;)
I didn't! Only, it was when I powered off my laptop that I realized I hadn't included your name. Doh! XD

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
Don't forget me! ;)
I didn't! Only, it was when I powered off my laptop that I realized I hadn't included your name. Doh! XD

Stuff like that happens to me too just before I go to bed. No problem. XD

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
I should be down for some of it, at least...

CC should be good for the rest. I have no idea what my job situation will be this summer, so IDK.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
I should be down for some of it, at least...

CC should be good for the rest. I have no idea what my job situation will be this summer, so IDK.
Forgot to reply! No worries at all, Atarian. Do as much or as little as you'd like with the server. I know things get busy when you're planning on having a summer job. :)

I'm really excited, guys. Before, we had the right formula and (mostly) the right equipment, but the rig running Skulltag and Mumble was just too old and decrepit, and it was causing unnecessary spikes in my bandwidth --bad port or poor drivers, I'm not sure. Commicast was also starting to get nasty, and my power bill was a good deal higher, oy. BUT, I think we've got the right rig this time around. One that is a ton more eco and bandwidth friendly. So lets hope this works!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:07:57 PM by brain candy »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting