Author Topic: The Fan Projects Directory Topic  (Read 19202 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: The Fan Projects Directory Topic
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
The real Chex.wad does NOT have any DooM leftovers in it AFAIK. However, On the CD there was another version of Chex.wad, which was a complete Ultimate DooM IWAD with All the DooM graphics removed and the relevant Chex Quest graphics added in. According to a readme file on the CD, this was for Mac users to load into their own copy of DooM so they could play, as Chex.exe was DOS/Windows only. They left the levels in, as DooM would have thrown a fit if it didn't have all the levels present. Why they didn't replace them with dummy levels, I don't know. However, the fact remains that this was an officially licensed giveaway distribution, as far as we are aware. Since the levels are nearly impossible to play without DooM graphics, I don't think it is too much of an issue.
Then why have PFUB1, PFUB2, ENDPIC, and END* not been replaced?

I can confirm that the official version of chex.wad that ships with the original CD contains the Doom versions of these images. I am not sure why they didn't replace it with a static black background or something similar, perhaps they left them in as placeholders and forgot since they never show up in game? Technically I'm pretty sure that's copyright infringement for Digital Cafe to have that in there (along with the iwad maps for e2, e3 and e4), but I'm not sure what the agreement with iD was and they didn't get in trouble for it; iD probably didn't know.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

Offline WindowsVistaLover5570

• hi all been a while
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
  • Just call me Mupen.
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
The real Chex.wad does NOT have any DooM leftovers in it AFAIK. However, On the CD there was another version of Chex.wad, which was a complete Ultimate DooM IWAD with All the DooM graphics removed and the relevant Chex Quest graphics added in. According to a readme file on the CD, this was for Mac users to load into their own copy of DooM so they could play, as Chex.exe was DOS/Windows only. They left the levels in, as DooM would have thrown a fit if it didn't have all the levels present. Why they didn't replace them with dummy levels, I don't know. However, the fact remains that this was an officially licensed giveaway distribution, as far as we are aware. Since the levels are nearly impossible to play without DooM graphics, I don't think it is too much of an issue.
Then why have PFUB1, PFUB2, ENDPIC, and END* not been replaced?

I can confirm that the official version of chex.wad that ships with the original CD contains the Doom versions of these images. I am not sure why they didn't replace it with a static black background or something similar, perhaps they left them in as placeholders and forgot since they never show up in game? Technically I'm pretty sure that's copyright infringement for Digital Cafe to have that in there (along with the iwad maps for e2, e3 and e4), but I'm not sure what the agreement with iD was and they didn't get in trouble for it; iD probably didn't know.

Good thing that Chukker figured that out in CQ3, but still.
EDIT: lol 75 was reply number 75.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:27:25 AM by WindowsVistaLover5570 »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting